Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs v Arsenal [Match Thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

flahavaj wrote: »
    Jaysus did not see this coming.:eek:

You'll be looking for this man...;)

Absolutely superb from Spurs tonight, worked their bollox off and deserved that win. Gomes was hardly troubled then makes three fantastic stops. Love the guy.

And can the Arsenal/United injury wankfest be canned please? How long have Spurs been missing Lennon, Jenas, King and Woodgate? Modric broke his leg in our 4th game of the season. Corluka and Palacios missing tonight, Defoe and Huddlestone only back from injury and King will probably be laid up for the rest of the season now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Archimedes wrote: »
    Arsenal havent won a Premier League with RVP in their team yet,

Heh, that's because he's never managed to stay fit tbh. Injuries are a sizeable problem for the club. We get more muscle strains than anyone else in the league, as much as 30% according to physioroom. This season we've also had at least 3 times the amount of fractures you'd normally expect in a single season. The style of play is possibly part of the problem, but there are suggestions it could be an as yet undetermined flaw with the setup.

But anyway, 6 points is all that's in it. You really don't think we could have found 6 more points if our best striker wasn't fit?

And yes, I do believe Chelsea would have considerably more points on the table were Essien fit. By as much as 10 imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

EVERY TEAM HAS INJURIES TO KEY PLAYERS.

EVERY TEAM THINKS THEIR INJURY CRISIS IS WORSE THAN ANY OTHER TEAMS.

THAT'S HOW FOOTBALL IS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You'll be looking for this man...;)

Absolutely superb from Spurs tonight, worked their bollox off and deserved that win. Gomes was hardly troubled then makes three fantastic stops. Love the guy.

And can the Arsenal/United injury wankfest be canned please? How long have Spurs been missing Lennon, Jenas, King and Woodgate? Modric broke his leg in our 4th game of the season. Corluka and Palacios missing tonight, Defoe and Huddlestone only back from injury and King will probably be laid up for the rest of the season now.

Banned apparently. Ah well.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So whens the dvd out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

keano_afc wrote: »
    So whens the dvd out?

Oooh, hark at her.

Frisbee wrote: »
    EVERY TEAM HAS INJURIES TO KEY PLAYERS.

EVERY TEAM THINKS THEIR INJURY CRISIS IS WORSE THAN ANY OTHER TEAMS.

THAT'S HOW FOOTBALL IS.

Stats done lie, we get more injuries. Either we have to expand the squad to cater for them or we seek to reduce the frequency. Heck it could be something wrong with the diet for all we know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

So whens the dvd out?

Id buy it tbh. Fantastic match.

Id buy it tbh. Fantastic match.

Pop along to your local team when they train. They usually do attack v defence drills :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Calm down Ric, no need to play the victim card.

victim?

i'm perfectly calm mate; i was just clarifying myself, seen as the only point i was originally trying to make was that i believe an RVP whose fit for longer would have made a huge difference to their season IMO. again, pointless because he did get injured, but merely an observation on his importance.

just like i've said similar things about Rooney's absence in Utd threads.
    Im just saying that to say Arsenal would have won the league if RVP were fit is incredibly naive. Like I said, there are far more obvious reasons other than his absence.

there are other reasons, of course. i wouldn't for a moment claim there aren't. :)

• Advertisement

Pop along to your local team when they train. They usually do attack v defence drills :pac:

Which one, the non-existent Kilkenny City or the ever-southerner-welcoming Linfield? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

SlickRic wrote: »
    victim?

i'm perfectly calm mate; i was just clarifying myself, seen as the only point i was originally trying to make was that i believe an RVP whose fit for longer would have made a huge difference to their season IMO. again, pointless because he did get injured, but merely an observation on his importance.

But your only guessing that... I mean van Persie could of had a terrible bad spell for those 5 months he missed. Football is football, anything can happen. Unlikely as that is.

If we had our full defence fit for the whole season I could say we'd have won the league by now.

But this is the way things have panned out.

But sure these arguments are why we love the beautiful game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Fair play Spuds....it only took 11 years.......enjoy your victory.....

Dont know about that Osu, Id say that United and Arsenal's situations are the exact same - an injury to a key player is an easier excuse than what the real problems are.

Anyway, not for this thread. Congrats Spurs, and a lower level of consolation congrats to A rsenal, as it was a crackin' match.

Which one, the non-existent Kilkenny City or the ever-southerner-welcoming Linfield? :(

Nasty. I've found myself on Tate's Avenue a couple of times after Linfield games. Not a comfortable place to be.

Dont know about that Osu, Id say that United and Arsenal's situations are the exact same - an injury to a key player is an easier excuse than what the real problems are.

Oh for **** sake... injuries are a real problem. Training regime, diet, pitch quality, psychology, rest all have a huge part to play. They aren't just 'part of the game' but something clubs and managers can (and regularly do) attempt to minimise and reduce risk. If a club is having lots of injuries chances are there is a problem with the setup.

I ****ing hate people like yourself who poo poo them off as an empty excuse, they have everything to do with a successful team.

And surely it's perfectly valid for this thread considering how many players were missing from the respect lineups because of injury tonight.

Oh for **** sake... injuries are a real problem. Training regime, diet, pitch quality, psychology, rest all have a huge part to play. They aren't just 'part of the game' but something clubs and managers can (and regularly do) attempt to minimise and reduce risk. If a club is having lots of injuries chances are there is a problem with the setup.

Yeah they have a huge part to play, but try get your hands on a fúcking half decent keeper, get some good squad players instead of teenagers and then maybe you can cover the loss of a key player and quit fúcking whinging. Typical Arsenal mentality, ever the fúcking victims.
    I ****ing hate people like yourself who poo poo them off as an empty excuse, they have everything to do with a successful team.

Delightful fellow, arent you?

Nasty. I've found myself on Tate's Avenue a couple of times after Linfield games. Not a comfortable place to be.

Try living 20 seconds away from it! :p:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thanks Spurs now more of the same against Chelsea please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Had to contain myself because I had the gf over but that was brilliant exactly the kind of reaction I was hoping for brilliant stuff.

Glad Bendtner was the one to score I knew they had at least one in them and he's the only Arsenal player I knida like so delighted.

Great game from BAE and Bale and everyone actually Brilliant work rate after 120 minutes at wembley

Oh and it's not like we don't have injuries too to some great players too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Yeah they have a huge part to play, but try get your hands on a fúcking half decent keeper, get some good squad players instead of teenagers and then maybe you can cover the loss of a key player and quit fúcking whinging. Typical Arsenal mentality, ever the fúcking victims.

Anger issues.

I may be a **** but at least I don't believe every bland cliché shoved down my throat by the rags.

For the record, while Arsenal have such a high frequency of injuries relative to other clubs, improving the squad isn't going to make much of a difference unless we can guarantee we can keep our key men fit. The high occurrence of injury at the club in recent years is a problem that needs to be fixed before we can move forward imo.

I may be a ****

Correct. We're making progress.
    but at least I don't believe every bland cliché shoved down my throat by the rags.

Its not a bland cliché. FFS man go look at the tabloids over the past few weeks in the wake of the Rooney injury. If anything, the impact of an injury to a key player has never been more over-exaggerated. So yeah, its quite clear that you're willing to accept things being shoved down your throat.
    For the record, while Arsenal have such a high frequency of injuries relative to other clubs, improving the squad isn't going to make much of a difference unless we can guarantee we can keep our key men fit. The high occurrence of injury at the club in recent years is a problem that needs to be fixed before we can move forward imo.

Teams have been winning trophies for years with injury problems. Just because your team struggles to, doesn't make injuries the most relevant reason for not doing so. Stop whining. Spurs beat you tonight with big injury problems of their own, and are putting up a hell of a fight for 4th place regardless of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

It's simple, injuries are a big factor as to why this current squad and it's predecessors for the last 5 or so years have failed to deliver any trophies. They are definitely a big factor but, more so than that is our lack of real squad depth. We have enough good players to cope with a few injuries but no more really. We were very unlucky with our attacking options this year though. Having to play Arshavin up top due to injuries was a ridiculous situation to be in.

Anyway, not for this thread. Congrats Spurs, and a lower level of consolation congrats to A rsenal, as it was a crackin' match.

What I'm saying is that injuries are a big part of the sport. They have to be dealt with. That's why squads are so big these days, to deal with injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Spurs beat you tonight with big injury problems of their own, and are putting up a hell of a fight for 4th place regardless of it.

In fairness not to the extent to what we have, certain players are just not possible to replace.

I can see where people are coming from, our injuries don't seem to get the same coverage as other teams and instead our squad strength is attacked, no matter what people think, we have done exceptionally well this season without a key player in RVP.

Oh forgot to mention Gomes class act fantastic reactions

Oh forgot to mention Gomes class act fantastic reactions

Yeah, the fúcker!!! Amazing display at the end there, I couldn't believe it! Just a pity it's the only time we made him work!

jasonorr wrote: »
    Yeah, the fúcker!!! Amazing display at the end there, I couldn't believe it! Just a pity it's the only time we made him work!
    Ya I wasn't too bothered by that :pac:

• Advertisement

Osu wrote: »
    Mitch what I'm saying is that injuries are a big part of the sport. They have to be dealt with. That's why squads are so big these days, to deal with injuries.

You quoted my post but said Mitch, so I'll assume you meant that for me :p

Im not disagreeing that injuries are a huge problem, Im just saying that they're not suitable as the only excuse for a team not winning the league. There are more legit reasons for Arsenal not being champions than injuries, same with Man Utd. That's all Im saying. Look at Chelsea, they have been missing their best player for some time now, but they have better players around him to compensate. Imo, a better goalkeeper than Almunia would have brought Arsenal the 6 points needed to be level with Chelsea before a fit RVP would have.

Ya I wasn't too bothered by that :pac:

I'll bet, horrible for me to watch though...in 3d too! Doesn't seem to be an awful lot left in the tank. van Persie looked great when he came on, which was surprising considering how long he was out, don't know how much he'll play in our remaining games. Fair play to Silvestre peanuthead and Almunia traffic cone though, I can always rely on them to blame something on!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

a better goalkeeper than Almunia would have brought Arsenal the 6 points needed to be level with Chelsea before a fit RVP would have.

Better keeper than Almunia would be worth about 20 points. If Wenger doesn't address this in the summer then he needs to be spanked. Spanked hard.

I honestly don't think almunia was at fault for the first goal it was a good punch and a one in a million strike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I honestly don't think almunia was at fault for the first goal it was a good punch and a one in a million strike

It was a shít punch and straight at him.

Im not disagreeing that injuries are a huge problem, Im just saying that they're not suitable as the only excuse for a team not winning the league. There are more legit reasons for Arsenal not being champions than injuries, same with Man Utd. That's all Im saying. Look at Chelsea, they have been missing their best player for some time now, but they have better players around him to compensate. Imo, a better goalkeeper than Almunia would have brought Arsenal the 6 points needed to be level with Chelsea before a fit RVP would have.

Pretty much how I see it apart from this bit but, I don't see any point in talking about that now. We definitely need a new keeper or two and more squaddies! Never happens the way I want it to in the transfer window though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The strike was indeed fantastic, superb technique but:

1. Almunia didn't need to punch, he could have caught it easily.

2. When he decided to punch it was a poor punch right at Rose.

3. He's Almunia

Totally agree and I'm going mad so don't mind me quoting names wrong and all that. Haven't slept an minute in two days...

So apologizes :D

Why punch when it was there to be caught??? He punches far too often, I don't like it!

It shouldn't have been a punch to begin with tbh. Should really have caught that imo. I never understand keeper's punching a ball when they can easily catch it. With a punch, you have a 50/50 chance of retaining possession. Catch it, and you will keep possession and kill the opponents attack. There was no one near him, and he wasn't jumping over a crowd of players or anything. Baffling decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

It was a shít punch and straight at him.

Yeah his punching accuracy at 30 yards is terrible.

Cop on. Seriously. Know a freak goal when you see one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The real issue here is why he chose to punch in the first place, it was just as easy to catch the ball. Again its poor decision making from a keeper who makes the wrong decisions far too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Where are all the Arsenal fans now??!! They are a 1 trick pony (no no not VP) and the Emirates Coral is all out of stallions.

Thank god them goonies can crawl back under rocks and let the real men stand up and challenge for the title. Bye bye Cesc, Van Persie.... eeeh cant even name any other player that Barcelona, Madrid, Man U, Chelsea would want to buy. Shockingly bad management jsut as bad as Benitez yet Wenger gets away with it??! Come on people take the blinkers off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

flahavaj wrote: »
    The real issue here is why he chose to punch in the first place, it was just as easy to catch the ball. Again its poor decision making from a keeper who makes the wrong decisions far too often.

I agree. Alumnia is a shocking keeper and no team that will win a title wiill win it witha keeper as bad as this.

/end

Where are all the Arsenal fans now??!! They are a 1 trick pony (no no not VP) and the Emirates Coral is all out of stallions.

Thank god them goonies can crawl back under rocks and let the real men stand up and challenge for the title. Bye bye Cesc, Van Persie.... eeeh cant even name any other player that Barcelona, Madrid, Man U, Chelsea would want to buy. Shockingly bad management jsut as bad as Benitez yet Wenger gets away with it??! Come on people take the blinkers off.

How enlightening...

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Edit : Actually can't be arsed having a discussion with a clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Almunia should absolutely have caught that ball but it was still some strike from the lad with a name that could've been used for a character in Dream Team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Just going back to Almunia, why oh why does he always have to punch when catching seems the easier option? I've lost track of the amount of times he has elected to go with the fist when catching seems the obvious thing to do. I know a lot of people said Lehmann was nutcase, but at least he was reliable, and he actually caught the ball!

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

grenache wrote: »
    Just going back to Almunia, why oh why does he always have to punch when catching seems the easier option? I've lost track of the amount of times he could he has elected to go with the fist when catching seems to obvious thing to do. I know a lot of people said Lehmann was nutcase, but at least he was reliable, and he actually caught the ball!

Then dropped it into the back of the net! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Imo, a better goalkeeper than Almunia would have brought Arsenal the 6 points needed to be level with Chelsea before a fit RVP would have.

Sounds like you're making an excuse. Why are you making an excuse? How do you know what would happen? Oh no wait, that's just your opinion, do you not like others having an opinion? Christ, all anyone's saying is that injuries have cost us big time, which they have, and have done to other clubs. But statistically we've been worst hit. I don't think any Arsenal fan on here thinks that Almunia should be near a football pitch for us. But then again, that's just an excuse for why we won't win the league. Typical Arsenal eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It was a freak goal and a great strike, but there is no reason whatsoever why Almunia should have punched it in the first place. And that's ignoring him letting it straight through his hands afterwards.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement