Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meguiars G220

• 14-04-2010 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

I'm toying with the idea of investing in a Meguiars G220 Dual Action Polisher after reading this guide http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

I was wondering if there is anyone on here that has used one on their own car and how they find it?
    Is it dangerous to use without a paint depth gauge? These gauges are pricy things and I couldn't justify buying one

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Annuv wrote: »
    I'm toying with the idea of investing in a Meguiars G220 Dual Action Polisher after reading this guide http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

I was wondering if there is anyone on here that has used one on their own car and how they find it?
    Is it dangerous to use without a paint depth gauge? These gauges are pricy things and I couldn't justify buying one

You could get the cheaper Kestrel DAS6 (see detailing world for reviews) - it's very simlar to the G220 but nearly half the price (we sell both). We have a kit which includes the DAS6, three Lake Country Pads (Cut, Polish & Finish) and three Menzerna Polishes (Again, heavy cut, medium polish and finishing polish).

The results can be had, but it does take time and patience. The technique, as described in that guide, can be adapted relatively easy.

I would always recommend using a paint gauge before polishing. If you're around Blanchardstown - you're welcome to have a quick scoot around your car with mine, it only takes 10mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

Hi Seperate, thanks for the offer concering the gauge
    The kit sounds interesting, can you post more details about it ?(or PM me if you prefer)
    Would this kit be okfor a beginner like me? I would only be using it on my own two VAG cars.

Would it be a good idea to get a panel from a scrapyard to practice on first, or would I be safe enough starting with the lightest pad-polish combo?

Annuv wrote: »
    Hi Seperate, thanks for the offer concering the gauge
    The kit sounds interesting, can you post more details about it ?(or PM me if you prefer)
    Would this kit be okfor a beginner like me? I would only be using it on my own two VAG cars.

Would it be a good idea to get a panel from a scrapyard to practice on first, or would I be safe enough starting with the lightest pad-polish combo?

The kit is here - http://www.detailer.ie/catalog/index.php/detailing-kits/kestrel-das6-starter-kit.html

It costs €155 and contains everything you need to start tackling scratches and swirls like in the guide you posted.

The three polishes contained within the kit are Menzerna 3.2 which is about 6/10 on the 'cut' scale. This would be used to remove heavy defects (on a cutting pad). Menerzerna 203S which is light-cut polish for minor defects. Finally, Menzerna 85RE which is a finishing polish and will restore the gloss to the paint after the swirls and scratches are gone.

The three pads are from Lake Country - and are the pads we use for paint correction everyday in our studio. They're excellent. You have a light-cut pad, a polishing pad and a finishing pad in the kit. The pads will last you a dozen cars if you look after them.

You also get a few microfibers bundled in for buffing polish/wax etc.

This kit is ideal for the beginner - it is very very very very unlikely you could do any damage with it. Due to the workings of a dual action machine, they don't build up heat; so they tend not to burn the paint like you hear about with rotary polishers.

The pads & polish will work on pretty much every car. VAG paint tends to be tough, so you might find yourself using the heavier pad/compound but it's all the same really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I thought a DA didnt do enough cutting to require a paint depth meter ? Was looking at the falcon kit myself - car has some very tired paintwork -any boardsie discounts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Or ye could forget about investing in these items and give your car to Seperate for him to do a top class job....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Seperate wrote: »
    The kit is here - http://www.detailer.ie/catalog/index.php/detailing-kits/kestrel-das6-starter-kit.html

It costs €155 and contains everything you need to start tackling scratches and swirls like in the guide you posted.

The three polishes contained within the kit are Menzerna 3.2 which is about 6/10 on the 'cut' scale. This would be used to remove heavy defects (on a cutting pad). Menerzerna 203S which is light-cut polish for minor defects. Finally, Menzerna 85RE which is a finishing polish and will restore the gloss to the paint after the swirls and scratches are gone.

The pads & polish will work on pretty much every car. VAG paint tends to be tough, so you might find yourself using the heavier pad/compound but it's all the same really.

For a beginner would it not be a difficult choice to decide what would be considered heavy defects and mild ones?
    Just being curious as I have often thought about buying a kit myself to do the 97 civic my son drives.
    It was BADLY swirled when I bought it but now after lots of elbow grease and Color restorer/polish/wax and ending up with muscles like Popeye it is much better, but not as I would like it yet.
    Would it not be an idea for you to make some form of dvd with hints and tips that you could include with the kit? after all it only costs buttons for discs.?
    Just an idea.
    Or ye could forget about investing in these items and give your car to Seperate for him to do a top class job....

He has two cars so I guess the cost of getting both done would exceed the cost of a machine and do it himself.:confused:
    I know the Pro. Option would return better results but there is the satisfaction factor of doing it yourself as well ;)

vectra wrote: »
    For a beginner would it not be a difficult choice to decide what would be considered heavy defects and mild ones?
    Just being curious as I have often thought about buying a kit myself to do the 97 civic my son drives.
    It was BADLY swirled when I bought it but now after lots of elbow grease and Color restorer/polish/wax and ending up with muscles like Popeye it is much better, but not as I would like it yet.
    Would it not be an idea for you to make some form of dvd with hints and tips that you could include with the kit? after all it only costs buttons for discs.?
    Just an idea.

We run an Academy Day one Sunday a month to teach people how to wash a car properly, clay it, basic technique with a machine and all the other bits and pieces. The information is on our website. Besides that, there are dozens of guides online, the best of which was linked in the OP. The technique can be thought to a beginner pretty easily, but it takes time to be good at it.

You could give up the spinich if you bought a kit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Seperate wrote: »
    We run an Academy Day one Sunday a month to teach people how to wash a car properly, clay it, basic technique with a machine and all the other bits and pieces. The information is on our website. Besides that, there are dozens of guides online, the best of which was linked in the OP. The technique can be thought to a beginner pretty easily, but it takes time to be good at it.

You could give up the spinich if you bought a kit :)

Cool.
    Maybe one day I will head up and have a nosey..:D

As for spinach....!!
    I never again want to see it :pac:

Advertisement