Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left over egg yolks from meringues-suggestions?

Options
  • 14-04-2010 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    have 6 left over egg yolks from meringue making.

any recipe suggestions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

A few recipes I've made recently use an egg and an egg yolk. You could go for some of these. The cookie recipe on here is such a one. Also Gordon Ramsay's chocolate fondants - very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Lemon curd

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=lemon-curd

Lemon Curd
    Ingredients:
    •3 Egg Yolks (beaten)
    •125g/4oz Caster Sugar
    •2 Lemons (juice & rind)
    •50g/2oz Butter
    Method:
    1.Over a low heat melt the butter, add sugar, juice and rind. Then stir in the well-beaten egg yolks.
    2.Stir over a gentle heat until mixture coats the back of spoon.
    3.Remove from heat, and pour into a bowl. It will thicken as it cools.
    4.Once cold, store for up to three weeks in a fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

+1 for lemon curd.

Else mayonaise, custard or a rich sponge cake - as per Nigella:

http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_detail.aspx?rid=14145

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruthie_

Aww coulda done with this yesterday! Made a pavlova and had the yolks left over, used them in a carbonara anyway but that lemon curd sounds delish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

For future reference you can buy cartons of pasterised egg whites in my local Dunnes (pavillions in swords) and in many other branches. Called "Two Chicks" and found beside creme fraiche and the like. Saves having leftover yolks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Actually made a big batch of lemon curd last night in an effort to use up some of them already.

Used Rachel Allens recipe. Was very nice.

Great idea on mixing with the egg whites. Thanks! I was a bit concerned about the quality of stored egg white so it's good to get a recommendation on it.

I've never made home made custard so am toying with that idea. Some kind of custard or a custard type tart!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hollandaise/bearnaise etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

extra egg yokes into brownies, for more gooey brownies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

You could freeze them for later use, but read this first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

ice cream/custard/ creme brulee

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    ice cream/custard/ creme brulee

Have been toying with the idea of an ice cream maker for a while! Might be a good excuse.

olaola wrote: »
    Hollandaise/bearnaise etc

Love bearnaise with a passion, but am a bit terrified of making it for some reason.

Plus fresh tarragon seems a bit like hens teeth.

As an aside, I also used some to make a rhubarb cream tart. Turned out beautifully!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Love bearnaise with a passion, but am a bit terrified of making it for some reason.

I used to be too. Then I made it...and it split two of the first three times I did it. Then I learned to not let it get too hot, and its been a doddle since then.
    Plus fresh tarragon seems a bit like hens teeth.
    You can get away with dried, if its chopped and not ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Have been toying with the idea of an ice cream maker for a while! Might be a good excuse.
    it's the snizzle (i know what I want to say would get filtered) but an ice cream maker is amazing. Home made icecream is so much better than the home brought stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

duploelabs wrote: »
    Home made icecream is so much better than the home brought stuff

+1 on that, I made a batch of caramel and wattleseed icecream recently. The wattleseeds are amazing - a teaspoon added to the scalded cream adds a huge amount of flavour - hazelnut, chocolate and coffee. Bought some Japanese green tea to try and replicate a green tea icecream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Think it's been mentioned already but I use the egg yolks to make ice cream, getting to that time of year again where ice cream doesn't seem such a bad idea.

Chocolate ice cream with crushed oreos is the best..nummy.
    The meringues go really well with it of course, throw some chopped toasted nuts over it and dig in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Minder wrote: »
    +1 on that, I made a batch of caramel and wattleseed icecream recently. The wattleseeds are amazing - a teaspoon added to the scalded cream adds a huge amount of flavour - hazelnut, chocolate and coffee. Bought some Japanese green tea to try and replicate a green tea icecream.

Minder, can you get those wattleseeds anywhere in Ireland?

Another thing to do with leftover yolks is make pâte à bombe. This can be used to make french buttercream, mousses, parfaits, etc. It's basically like an italian meringue using egg yolks instead of egg whites. The recipe is:

Ingredients

5 egg yolks
    330g sugar
    80g water
    380ml cream
    5 gelatin leaves, soaked (optional)

Method

1. Whisk yolks until frothy.
    2. Cook sugar and water to 118-120c.
    3. Pour over yolks while whisking. Whisk for 5-10 mins until cool.
    4. Semi-whisk cream. Fold into egg yolk and sugar base.
    5. To make a set parfait, add the softened gelatine leaves to the warm egg yolk ands sugar base, whisk to cool, then add the cream.
    6. Pour into moulds and freeze. You can use a loaf tin lined with cling film to make a frozen terrine, or ice-pop moulds (omit the gelatin if freezing.)

To flavour, add a fruit purée, melted chocolate, nuts, coffee, liquers, whatever takes your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Minder, can you get those wattleseeds anywhere in Ireland?

I buy the wattleseeds and other rare spices from www.thespicery.com - based in Bath, in the UK, they offer international delivery. Expensive for both seeds and delivery, but the ingredients I have received so far have been excellent quality.

Wattleseeds

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joanas

+1 for Gordon Ramsey's chocolate fondants. amazing!! Also these can be frozen and cooked straight from the freezer which makes them an ideal dinner party dessert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement