Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dry Fermentation Anaerobic Digester

• 14-04-2010 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope this is the right forum to start this thread. If not apologies.

I was speaking with family last night and they have informed me that a local farmer (from who they bought their site off) wants to build a Dry Fermentation Anaerobic Digester on his farm. From what they have been told, this digester will be the first of its kind in Ireland and England so are obviously a bit worried about a building like this being so close to their family home.

Local farmers have been speaking to my family with regards lodging an appeal against the construction of this digester but my family are afraid to step forward as the farmer owns all the land around their house and are worried against repercussions. There are 7 houses close to the proposed location of the Digester.

Does anyone know of any health risks associated with living close to an Anaerobic Digester? My family will not lodge an appeal against the proposed building if there is no health risks associated with this digester. They have a young family and are trying for more children so obviously are very nervous and worried for the health of their family.

As there is no such building like this in Ireland it is very difficult to get exact information regarding an Anaerobic Digester. They are currently doing research on this Anaerobic Digester but any more information that they can get would be extremely helpful.

Are there any health risks associated with Dry Fermentation Anaerobic Digester?

Thanks in advance and again apologies if I started this thread in the wrong forum.

Anto318

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from SEI - I think you're more likely to get specific information on anaerobic digestion (and associated risks, if any) here.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Anto318

Thanks, apologies for starting the thread in the wrong area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Anto318 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I hope this is the right forum to start this thread. If not apologies.

I was speaking with family last night and they have informed me that a local farmer (from who they bought their site off) wants to build a Dry Fermentation Anaerobic Digester on his farm. From what they have been told, this digester will be the first of its kind in Ireland and England so are obviously a bit worried about a building like this being so close to their family home.

Local farmers have been speaking to my family with regards lodging an appeal against the construction of this digester but my family are afraid to step forward as the farmer owns all the land around their house and are worried against repercussions. There are 7 houses close to the proposed location of the Digester.

Does anyone know of any health risks associated with living close to an Anaerobic Digester? My family will not lodge an appeal against the proposed building if there is no health risks associated with this digester. They have a young family and are trying for more children so obviously are very nervous and worried for the health of their family.

As there is no such building like this in Ireland it is very difficult to get exact information regarding an Anaerobic Digester. They are currently doing research on this Anaerobic Digester but any more information that they can get would be extremely helpful.

Are there any health risks associated with Dry Fermentation Anaerobic Digester?

Thanks in advance and again apologies if I started this thread in the wrong forum.

Anto318

Anto,

In terms of health risks, I would say that there are very few. There are strict laws regarding the operation of these fermenters. The biggest issue with anerobic digesters is their size - some might say they are unsightly - Tou are talking of a tank of the order of 500 cubic meters.

The basic idea of an anerobic digester; You input waste into the digester (typically slurry, food waste, garden waste - anything organic) and that under anerobic conditions (absence of oxygen), this waste is broken down by microorganisms to generate methane. This methane is then collected and used for heating, etc, etc.

The process removes much of the organic content from the waste but retains it's NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium) content. The residue from the digestion, can then be heat treated and used as fertiliser - similar slurry spreading.

AFIK, dry fermentation, is the same process, except the input waste has a lower moisture content (<75%).

Me personally, I belive anerobic digestion of waste is the way to go ni dealing with organic farm waste. It's a very enironmentally friendly method. I visited the anerobic digester at Ballytobin, Kilkenny last year and was very impressed with their operation.

I would highly reccommend visiting them, to get an uderstanding of the process. The guy that runs the plant is called Mark. He'd be more than happy to show you around.

Google "ballytobin, anerobic digestion" to get more info

Advertisement