Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skirting boards for bedroom

• 14-04-2010 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Hi

I need new skirting boards for a bedroom, that I'll be painting white.
    Just wondering what type of wood should I get? Eg pine or oak or what?

Guess I'm looking for a cheaper option but don't want the boards to split or warp.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 wagon_repair

white deal or MDF skirting

there's no need to go buying solid oak if you're going to end up painting it white

also, the skirting should'nt warp or twist once there is enough nails/screws/gripfill on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Don't use gripfill to hold them to the walls. They nearly always come away eventually. Better off to screw them.

You should be able to get pre-finished MDF skirting that will do the job without any need for painting them

• Registered Users Posts: 35 wagon_repair

Don't use gripfill to hold them to the walls. They nearly always come away eventually. Better off to screw them.

You should be able to get pre-finished MDF skirting that will do the job without any need for painting them

remember you'll need a hammer drill if you're screwing into a block wall...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

pre painted sounds the business!! thanks for that, will get that one.
    -well price it anyway.

one wall is brick and then another wall is partition, thanks for help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

ellejay wrote: »
    pre painted sounds the business!! thanks for that, will get that one.
    -well price it anyway.

one wall is brick and then another wall is partition, thanks for help.

Long screws and plugs for the brick wall, and try to get the screws into the studs on the other wall, or else use plasterboard fixings.

I put little brass washers like these over the screws in my house to finish them off. Only, be mindful of the height that you put them at so they don't interfere with the vacuum cleaner head when its zipping around. some of mine could have been a bit higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

thanks fingers, you've been very helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,680 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Lowes and all should sell the baseboards/skirting boards pre-primed white. usually made out of mdf or ply.

Advertisement