Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon DSLRs without focus motor

• 14-04-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi all..

I'm thinking about Nikons, and this whole business of the internal focus motor missing on some of the recent models..

Although I'd rather get one that could drive the older AF lenses, I was just wondering what opinions existing Nikon DSLR users have as to whether you would ever actually end up doing this in reality? (Given that I don't have any lenses already).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I personally think the non AF motor bodies aren't a good thing. It limits the amount of lenses you can easily use and buy cheaply. Nikon are making more AF-S lenses that are more affordable now though.

They are generally more expensive than their counter parts and some aren't "future proofed" in the sense that the new 35mm AFS lens (or maybe its the new 50mm AFS lens?) won't work properly on a full frame camera.

I wanted/needed a second body with a crop sensor for cheap so I narrowed it down to a D70 or D80 as these are affordable and have AF motors in the body. I got the D70s and it's a great sized body. It is a generation behind current DSLRs like the D90 but still very capable.

You have to look at your budget too. It could be cheaper for now to buy a D40/D60/D3000/D5000 and build up your lenses from that.

I am biased towards bodies with AF motors as I have too many lenses that aren't AF-S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

It all depends on what you can afford, and what you wish to do with your photography.

I had a D60, with the standard 18-55 AF-S kit lense, and it was great. Nice and light, easy to carry around, didn't look big when using it in crowds. The images it produced where great. I couldn't fault it - apart from one thing - I had some lenses which I used for my D300 that I couldn't use on the D60, e.g. the "nifty fifty" 50mm 1.8. The 50 is a great prime lense for about €100. The AF-S version that you'd need for any non-motor bodies, only comes as a f1.4, and costs about €350! It's a great lense, but very hard for the average person to justify the price.

I sold the D60, and picked up a D70s, same as pete4130, which I let my daughter use, and have as a handy backup.

If you decide to go with a non-motor body, you WILL still take some great shots, and should you decide to change the body, at a later stage, they always sell easily enough.

Finally - it really doesn't matter what type of body, manufacturer, DSLR or P&S, that you choose - the trick is to get out there and take the picture! :D

Advertisement