Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Marketplace

Options
  • 14-04-2010 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know

1) Why the Android Marketplace is not available in Ireland and

2) When will it be available.

I really want the HTC Desire, but the lack of a marketplace is stopping me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The marketplace is available, and there are thousands of apps there available to download. The only restriction is that you don't have access to paid apps (apps that cost money). As more and more handsets getting added to the various networks here, its only a matter of time before we get access.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

Sorry, what I meant was the paid marketplace isnt available in Ireland. Any idea when ?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

I wouldn't let that stop you from getting the phone, I have access to the paid apps and I only have 2 installed. The rest are free ones, theres literally thousands of decent free apps and the best thing of all is that you don't need to use iTunes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

In any case you can get a free UK sim to allow you access to the paid market Albeit via WLAN unless you want to pay hefty roaming charges.

The disadvantage of not having the paid apps available locally is that it prevents the development of Ireland specific apps that would be developed if there was a revenue incentive for the developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

Agreed. And also a lot of the popular paid apps such as CoPilot and "Documents to go" are available directly from the developers as instant downloads + a licence key via email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

darraghn wrote: »
    Agreed. And also a lot of the popular paid apps such as CoPilot and "Documents to go" are available directly from the developers as instant downloads + a licence key via email.

So you can access some paid apps directly from websites? Co-Pilot UK & Ireland map appears only to be downloadable for windows devices, but I didnt know it was possible to download stuff like this. I'm such a newb :rolleyes:

flugel wrote: »
    So you can access some paid apps directly from websites? Co-Pilot UK & Ireland map appears only to be downloadable for windows devices, but I didnt know it was possible to download stuff like this. I'm such a newb :rolleyes:

It's quite difficult to find. It took an hour of trawling trough blogs and forums:
    http://www.alk.eu.com/copilotlive/androidinstall/

It's quite difficult to find. It took an hour of trawling trough blogs and forums:
    http://www.alk.eu.com/copilotlive/androidinstall/

Have you used co-pilot yourself? There's turn by turn sat nav with google maps with 2.1 aint there? I'll check that out first

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

flugel wrote: »
    Have you used co-pilot yourself? There's turn by turn sat nav with google maps with 2.1 aint there? I'll check that out first

Not much use to you if you are in another country and roaming though

thegoth wrote: »

Taught maps of co-pilot were stored on sd card and it'd just use gps?

• Advertisement

thegoth wrote: »

Agreed, Google navigation isn't yet available in Europe and as you say, needs a data connection to calculate the route or if you vary too much off the route. I use CoPilot with an Europe Licence. I can download at any time whatever Country or Region needed - so no roaming data charges. Great sat-nav, as good as the cheaper dedicated sat nav units IMHO. I think there is a free trial for a few days from the Android market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Hi mate, can you confirm that both Copilot app AND maps are directly downloadable from the site.
    I thought you HAD to get the app from the Marketplace, but i'm wrong, i hope, from what you say.

TBH, a centralized marketplace is great but i like the idea of being able to pick and choose stuff as well like where you can download (like from the ALK site), especially now with this paid-app non-availability shenanigans.
    I just hope Android doesn't go the way of the Iphone in that sense (the "do as you're told or piss off route" so to speak).

mkennedy wrote: »
    Hi mate, can you confirm that both Copilot app AND maps are directly downloadable from the site.
    I thought you HAD to get the app from the Marketplace, but i'm wrong, i hope, from what you say.

TBH, a centralized marketplace is great but i like the idea of being able to pick and choose stuff as well like where you can download (like from the ALK site), especially now with this paid-app non-availability shenanigans.
    I just hope Android doesn't go the way of the Iphone in that sense (the "do as you're told or piss off route" so to speak).

CoPilot app can be downloaded from Market (to trial it - but not purchase in Ireland) or via my link. If you are going to purchase it, download it from the link and then buy directly via their website.

Map data can be downloaded via CoPilot Central which is their Desktop companion app which links to your phone via USB to transfer the downloaded maps to the phone. Alternatively, and less hassle, is to download direct to the phone from the app. Obviously you need to make sure that you are using WiFi because the data charges from carrier could be prohibitive.

I hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

OK thanks, that was helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Agreed, Google navigation isn't yet available in Europe and as you say, needs a data connection to calculate the route or if you vary too much off the route.

I was using google navigation last month. It is available in europe, it just needs Android 2.1. I was comparing it to my father's in car GPS- pretty good, even if they both disagreed on the best way to get to mullingar! It does need a data connection (and was pretty slow on Edge connection on Meteor) and was slow enough to calculate changes if you went off their recommended route.

Advertisement