Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any issues with HTC Desire on Meteor??

• 14-04-2010 10:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

would appreciate if anyone could confirm if there are any issues with the HTC Desire similiar to those that hero & legend users have had on Meteor?

currently on bill with meteor, torn between buying the phone sim free & changing to credit or upgrading on bill once meteor release it. However if the desire is having similar problems with Meteor 3G then i may move elsewhere (probably O2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Can't answer, but I wouldn't mind hearing from one of the lucky beggars who have their hands on the phone already.

Personally, the 3G/2G issue is after putting me off Meteor -- I'm going to go with O2 when it's launched; I'd rather pay the extra €5/month and receive the service I was sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Roy Rogers wrote: »
    Can't answer, but I wouldn't mind hearing from one of the lucky beggars who have their hands on the phone already.

Personally, the 3G/2G issue is after putting me off Meteor -- I'm going to go with O2 when it's launched; I'd rather pay the extra €5/month and receive the service I was sold.
    €10 / month actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Word over on the Meteor forum is that they will be getting some stock in this week so we should find out soon enough I hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

id like to stay with them on credit with the new prepay deal of free text to meteor and 250mb a month for €20 euro top up. doubt id spend much more than the 20 on calls so it would be def better than my current 70 a month min bill (even factoring in the initial cost of phone)

that being said i've wifi in work and at home so may not even need the data allowance, just nice to have it covered i guess

appears it will be announced tomorrow so i guess i can wait that long to see what their upgrade prices are and hopefully some will be on here soon to report on the 3g issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭r0chf0rt

According to meteor the phone will cost 179.99 on the Smart 30 18 month plan for new customers and customers porting over.
    209.99 if you are an existing meteor customer again signing up to the 18 month 30 euro plan.

r0chf0rt wrote: »
    According to meteor the phone will cost 179.99 on the Smart 30 18 month plan for new customers and customers porting over.
    209.99 if you are an existing meteor customer again signing up to the 18 month 30 euro plan.
    That makes so little sense, why are they charging existing customers more than new customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭r0chf0rt

I read on another thread about the htc legend that some meteor stores were giving exisiting customers the same deal as new customers. I guess its at the store managers discretion. Seeing as it is a new phone though I dont know if they would be that accommodating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

r0chf0rt wrote: »
    I read on another thread about the htc legend that some meteor stores were giving exisiting customers the same deal as new customers. I guess its at the store managers discretion.

Very true... I went into a meteor store, saying I wanted the old 20 per month option with the HTC Desire, and would probably use the 14.99 add on for 10gb. The girl behind the counter said she'd see what she could do, chatted to one of the others there, then said ya, not a bother, come in when the managers not about.

As it turns out I'll probably still go with the 30 option, as a few people have told me I won't get near the 1gb, let alone 10gb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Guts of €200 for an 18 month contract? Think I'd rather just pay extra and get it sim free. Maybe if it was o2 or Vodafone, but I have trouble getting signal in my house on meteor as it is anyway. Then there's the 2g/3g issue to worry about too. Couldn't stand 18 months of that.

• Advertisement

cancelling my billpay today and ordering phone simfree online

(its the best part of 200 euro for the phone when i can get it sim free for 450 and save over 200 in the long run)

I just got a call from Meteor and they are offering me the HTC Desire for €99 on my current tariff. Brilliant :D

I just got a call from Meteor and they are offering me the HTC Desire for €99 on my current tariff. Brilliant :D

Well for some :p

Mind me asking what your tariff is?

Well for some :p

Mind me asking what your tariff is?
    Connect €25. I had to ask the guy on the phone to repeat himself as I was just gobsmacked.

Meteor are getting another 12 months outta me! :D

just off the phone myself, due an upgrade and call to store to see what phones they have but they "didnt know when the htc desire is launching & currently have the hero and n97".

30 days notice also on cancellation

just off the phone myself, due an upgrade and call to store to see what phones they have but they "didnt know when the htc desire is launching & currently have the hero and n97".

30 days notice also on cancellation
    Cancellation of what? You're upgrading aren't you? :confused:

well if they are gona charge 179 for an upgrade to the desire im cancelling my billpay and getting it sim free & prepay

Im on Talk and text 300 myself, which is €50+ a month. Id probably stay if i was offered the same as you (very good deal imo) but anything less and im off (need to mentally prepare myself for those trips to the shop for credit though)

well if they are gona charge 179 for an upgrade to the desire im cancelling my billpay and getting it sim free & prepay

Im on Talk and text 300 myself, which is €50+ a month. Id probably stay if i was offered the same as you (very good deal imo) but anything less and im off (need to mentally prepare myself for those trips to the shop for credit though)

I'm on prepay, so I'm moving to bill to get this... only thing that is sealing the deal for me is data... Surely it would be financially worth your while staying on bill for the cheap data... which us prepay plebs have no access to?

their latest deal is 250mb of data plus free meteor to meteor texts for €20 a month top up

their latest deal is 250mb of data plus free meteor to meteor texts for €20 a month top up

I guess it all comes down to how much data one will use?

• Advertisement

yeah, doubt ill use more than that with wifi available at home and in office.

i must admit, in the back of my mind, im waiting for the 3g issues with the hero and legend to arise with the desire and nightmare stories of people who are tied into new 12-18month contracts. least the prepay option allows me to move to another operator easily enough if it happens.

have been on bill for best part of 10 years now and cant believe im contemplating moving back to credit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I presume you must be with that plan a good few months then yeah?

squared wrote: »
    I presume you must be with that plan a good few months then yeah?
    Yeah, i've been with them a fairly long time now.

A question for anyone that has the knowledge...

There are rumours that Meteor might have some Desires in some stores today, so I'm gonna check it out later. Being wary of the 3G issue though, can anyone tell me if the following text would apply?
    You may also return your device, provided proof of purchase and all items received are returned, where you experience coverage related difficulties – for phones, this must be within 14 days from the date of purchase [...]. You will be liable for all usage incurred prior to return and Meteor reserves the right to automatically deduct this from the cost of any refund.
    url]http://www.meteor.ie/plans/protect_your_mobile/phone_and_broadband_returns/[/url

I'm a content Meteor customer on PAYG at the moment, and the Connect 30 tariff looks like the best on the market for my needs. I'd like to give them a chance with the Desire, but I'd also like an escape clause in case the 3G issue strikes.

anyone else been offered the €99 upgrade? gona take a trip down to local store shortly and see if they got any in and what they are offering it for

just arrived in local store

€150 for me to upgrade to with smart 50 bill. never asked how long for though

looks smaller than i expected, which is great. showed me the legend too but my mind is set on the desire. probably gona get it after lunch (after all my flapping, i caved when i had it in hand)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

anyone know anywhere in South Dublin that has it?

Are they at carphone warehouse too or only meteor stores?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

I reserved the last one in one store in the city centre. 12 months/€30. Couldn't get an answer at Grafton Street, Henry Street or Ilac centre, but you might try them.

Carphone Warehouse in Stephen's Green told me they were expecting a few in this afternoon. If you ring them up and ask nicely, they'll give you a callback.

01 4757612

djgaillimh wrote: »
    12 months/€30.

is that the price for the phone? :eek: oh well

anyhow, here are the prices i skimmed from the meteor pricing list

smart 30 or similar priced calls package €30/mth
    €180 upgrade / 210 new

smart 50 or similar priced calls package €50/mth
    €150 upgrade / 180 new

smart max (or whatever its called) €85/mth
    €100 upgrade / 130 new

*these are all from memory so may not be correct*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭thegom145

169 for the phone and 30 quid/month incl 1gb data? The only thing stopping me pulling the trigger on this is the 2g/3g issue and the port blocking issue with their data apn - does anyone have a release date for the desire coming out on voda/o2?

I've it reserved, even though the lady in the shop said they got 8 in and I need not worry. Hopefully collecting it this evening/tomorrow evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

can anyone who bought the phone from meteor tell me if the phone is locked to meteor please?

can anyone who bought the phone from meteor tell me if the phone is locked to meteor please?

Got mine today! Apparently that €99 deal was a mistake but I kind of expected that :(

Anyways I reserved it early this morning and am just back from buying the phone right now.

My heart sank the moment I saw that massive looking orange meteor box that they seem to give with most of their low end phones but thankfully upon opening it I found that they just put in the standard Sim free HTC Desire box inside it. The phone itself is unlocked and there is no branding.

All in all after my 12 month contract is up it will cost me €479 which is almost the price of sim free.

Now all I need to do is learn how to use the phone :pac:

All in all after my 12 month contract is up it will cost me €479 which is almost the price of sim free.

How did you manage that, the cheapest 12 month contract I can see comes to 589.99 altogether?

• Advertisement

How did you manage that, the cheapest 12 month contract I can see comes to 589.99 altogether?
    Connect €25

€25 x 12 = 300
    The phone costs €179 on that so €179 + €300 = €479

Ah right I though you were limited to the 'Smart' plans. I wonder can you get it on the 'Lite' plans? Also if I'm on meteor payg does that mean I will have to pay 199.99 for the phone?

Ah right I though you were limited to the 'Smart' plans. I wonder can you get it on the 'Lite' plans? Also if I'm on meteor payg does that mean I will have to pay 199.99 for the phone?
    I thought so aswell but I asked if it was possible to upgrade and remain on my current tariff and they said it would be no problem. Not sure about new customers but i'm fairly sure they should be able to aswell.

You can't get any phones on the Lite plans they are sim only plans.

i tried to cancel my extra texts bundle this evening and was told i cant change over to my smart 50 tariff until next month as the date has already passed now. they gave me 250mb free on my current tariff until may 14th when i get my 2gb.

using wifi until then just in case. within 2 hours i had decimated my battery but installed advanced task killer and its doing it job. that said i havent left the phone down til now. loving features, got an ooooh remark when i showed off google sky map

This thing absolutely obliterates it's battery unless you get that task manager. The apps can't be shut down unless you use a 3rd party task manager meaning if you run too many apps your phone will last 1 hour on a full charge :eek:

Still, I haven't put the phone down for almost 4 hours now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Has anyone been able to confirm if this is locked to Meteor yet?

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to confirm if this is locked to Meteor yet?

yeah im really interested to know, would buy one today if its not locked to meteor

I said it was unlocked in my first post. That was the very first batch though so its best to ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have been keeping an eye on this thread for the last few days coz i need a new phone badly.So have any issues popped up yet using the desire on Meteor.I was thinking of heading into town tomorrow to make my purchase but would i be better off holding off for another week or so?When did the problems with the hero/legend start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭opus

I picked one up yesterday and moved from '3' to Meteor. Haven't seen any issues so far apart from the nightmare that is moving my contacts from a Nokia phone to the Desire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

So....any issues with 3G on this handset then?

el dude wrote: »
    So....any issues with 3G on this handset then?

None yet after 48 hours I'm even typing this via 3g!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I rang customer care today and the lady told me i could get the connect 25 deal and the desire would cost me €180,just rang my local shop to check if they had any stock and the guy there told me the phone will cost me €210 on that contract.i am currently on meteor PAYG.has anyone else here tried buying the phone on this tariff?how much did they pay?

It's €210 for existing Meteor customers, but €180 if you're coming from another network.

Yep, makes sense... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I paid 180 on an upgrade (signed 18 month €30 tariff)

• Advertisement
Advertisement