Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ardgillan predictions...

• 14-04-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

SwordsCC league starts tonight with a hill TT up Ardgillan in Skerries, any predictions?

The club league is open to visitors who hold a 'club competition' licence from cycling ireland or an IVCA membership, tonights TT will be used to grade riders into their handicap group for next weeks races and those that follow.

Raam ftw I think!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tonights TT will be used to grade riders into their handicap group...Raam ftw

He has been quite ill. I wouldn't bet money on it ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Won't be me any way

Can't believe we're starting with a feckin hill-climb :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I am going to marshal tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

RobFowl wrote: »
    Won't be me any way

Can't believe we're starting with a feckin hill-climb :(

Now that your brakes are fixed I reckon you are favourite.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

yea what happened to the standard flat 5 mile TT for the 1st event ? a much kinder way to grade riders ............

Joe

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

tonights TT will be used to grade riders into their handicap group for next weeks races and those that follow.

So that's why Shaungil got lost had a puncture last year:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Ditto what RobFowl said ^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

tacks on the left 2 yards past the Thomas Ashe memorial at the lane.:cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

shaungil wrote: »
    tacks on the left 2 yards past the Thomas Ashe memorial at the lane.:cool:

Thomas Hand you West Brit ;)

Sign on at 1800 for this?

• Advertisement

so now that our Favorite is out ! Who is going win it ????? as in the fastest time ????

Joe

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    Sign on at 1800 for this?
    18:00 - 19:00 per the website

RobFowl wrote: »
    Thomas Hand you West Brit ;)

I stand corrected, had been reading something about Thomas Ashe, but not on the tacks they're still there.

and remember we're not far from Beastys Hole Drop so folks be careful out there.

My money is on the Halpinator Snr.

Henry Crowley or Philip Sugden and maybe Javad Nulty if he rides.

I think there is a few ahead of him ! be interesting to see if anyone else new to the club is going break into that top 8 or so ........

Javan Nulty
    01 4 20 07.38 01 10pts Dan Delaney
    02 4 20 07.50 02 8pts Phillip Sugden
    03 4 20 07.58 04 6pts Mick McCarthy
    04 4 20 08.00 05 5pts Henry Crowley
    05 4 20 08.02 06 4pts David O'Neill
    06 4 20 08.12 08 2pts Peter Doyle
    07 3 40 07.53 03 7pts Pat Halpin
    08 4 20 08.16 13 2pts

Well Mick doesn't count as he's now dead to me;)
    Javan should have it but Henry has been off the bike a few weeks with an injury and is back so will be interesting. Halpinator is flying as usual
    I've heard of there being lads going up and down this all winter so maybe some of the skinny ones of these might make a break though!

Of course the Lion of fingal has been ill too.

Top 10 from the first hill TT last year...

Javan Nulty 07.58
    Dan Delaney 08.10
    Phillip Sugden 08.18
    Mick McCarthy 08.20
    Henry Crowley 08.22
    David O'Neill 08.32
    Peter Doyle 08.33
    Pat Halpin 08.36
    Sean Halpin 08.50
    Mick Rock 08.50

And from the last one...

Stephen Halpin 07.07
    Peter Doyle 07.47
    Javan Nulty 07.58
    Colm Laverty 08.01
    Mike Brookfield 08.02
    Henry Crowley 08.06
    Noel Guinan 08.12
    Derk Humphries 08.24
    Philip Sugden 08.27
    Andreas Voight 08.28

Not all the same riders in both events and both done on different courses to tonights.

Well Mick doesn't count as he's now dead to me;)
    Javan should have it but Henry has been off the bike a few weeks with an injury and is back so will be interesting. Halpinator is flying as usual
    I've heard of there being lads going up and down this all winter so maybe some of the skinny ones of these might make a break though!

Of course the Lion of fingal has been ill too.

Which Halpinator?

Raam wrote: »
    Which Halpinator?

Old Hapinator
    Young one riding Cote de Picardie today
    And Clubber off clubbing

Mike Brookfield was prominent in Carlow last week so he's one to watch

• Advertisement

yea the Guitar man is the one to watch !!! unfortunately I will miss this one ! but could n't see myself doing a sub 8min at the mo ......or a sub 9min for that matter !!

Joe

biker_joe wrote: »
    yea the Guitar man is the one to watch !!! unfortunately I will miss this one ! but could n't see myself doing a sub 8min at the mo ......or a sub 9min for that matter !!

Joe
    Different course - "sub 5" is the new "sub 8/9"

Jayus definately not a sub 5 for me so ... it would take me an hour to warm up for 5 min TT :eek:.
    So is that starting under the railway bridge and up to Castle gates ????

Bike Joe

Starting under the bridge, up past the castle gates, and the finish is presumably just before the junction at Cross of the Cage - 1.8km with about 80m of climbing

I've heard of there being lads going up and down this all winter

All Winter!!! All bloody week. There are crowds*of yis going up and down that hill and around Beasty's hole. Nearly have to take a ticket at this stage

*slight exaggeration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

I'll be heading up tonight so watch out....dark horse! No one know's me :D.

Ah....only kiddin. Really looking forward to tonight and the whole league. Lot's to learn this year....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

i'm planning on heading out to this too!

Lookin forward to it, even though i am a disaster on hills....

Ok I have a few factors going against me

1. I have never cycled this route before
    2. My bike computer is broken.
    3. I'm a larger gentlemen not made for hill climbing
    4. I have to leave work at 5.30, be home, hello to kids, change and get bike and drive there by 7.

Not off to a good start already!!

Four excuses! Most cyclists settle for one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

I won't be there but good luck to everyone taking part.

Expecting a good time from shaungil...

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Disgusted with myself! Just in the door having made a total mess of my first outing with the club.

Did a little spin up the hill and checked out what was head of us and it looked ok. Two kicks but nothing major and then but the head down and power on..... So what went wrong? Thought I was at the finish line when I passed a group two thirds or there about up the hill I was no where near it! Nearly came to a complete hault and just cruised up to what I thought was a gang of lads just having a chat.... eh...sh*t...that's the finish line!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: . So disappointed with myself! Real schoolboy error to not go out and look at the course before the race! Suppose I'll learn from my mistakes. Roll on next week so I can try make amends....

Sorry to hear your plight Dave but wouldn't worry about it too much it's very early days.
    Over 40 for this tonight so looks like this league is going to be a lot bigger and talk already of more groups (5 currently).

I was first off and hammered it too much should have spun it out but hey it meant i held the record for at least one minute ;)...... I did 4.32 Staro 4.20 which I expected as he beat me up it all winter. Looks like he could be moving up a few groups this year. Reasonably happy with my time as I've never professed to liking hills with my ahem sprinters build.

Beasty and Robfowl not sure. My bro knocked a minute off his pb and was delighted with himself at 5.12. Not good for me medium term he only has the bike since January.

Anyway lots of numbers out cracking evening good to see a few heads.

5m 21s for me - report here

Sorry for the confusion Dave - I came back down to the spot where you started cruising - it was a junction so there were marshalls keeping the traffic away, as well as a couple of spectators (including Raam) we were trying to encourage everyone to push on - I can't remember seeing anyone slow up, so you may have gone past before I go there

The good news is is should give you a good seeding for the susequent races

Beasty wrote: »
    5m 21s for me - report here

Sorry for the confusion Dave - I came back down to the spot where you started cruising - it was a junction so there were marshalls keeping the traffic away, as well as a couple of spectators (including Raam) we were trying to encourage everyone to push on - I can't remember seeing anyone slow up, so you may have gone past before I go there

The good news is is should give you a good seeding for the susequent races

Ah sure we'll battle on I suppose! It was just at that point alright but totally my fault and no one elses!! Roll on next Wednesday!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

Its been 2 hours since i finished that hillclimb and i'm still in fits of coughing! My lungs are destroyed!!!

I didn't get my official time (i was half unconcious up at the top) but i clocked myself at around 4.38 give or take a second or two.

Fantastic hill for doing TT's on. Loved the flat section at the end where you could hammer down with what little power you had left!

Gareth Enright clocked a 3.45 and did the whole thing in the big ring! You could tell he was on for a good time the way he came off the startline! Not sure if anyone got close to his time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

Gareth Enright 3.45
    Javin 4.10

My money for third is on the Halpinator as he is going like a train at the moment!

Well done to Beasty on his first competitive outing in x years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Colm Laverty was under 4.00, 3.58 I think, he passed me before the gates. 5.23 for me

That Enright bloke is a bit of an animal. Will be looking out for results in the National Hill Climb Championships at this rate...

Lumen wrote: »
    That Enright bloke is a bit of an animal. Will be looking out for results in the National Hill Climb Championships at this rate...
    I just texted him and told him exactly that. You can barely drive up that hill in that time

Does anyone know how long it usually takes of results to be posted and is it on the club site or where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

almost a week last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

SwordsCC league starts tonight with a hill TT up Ardgillan in Skerries

small point but ardgillin is in balbriggan

A very big point over here though

(small point, but it's spelt Ardgillan:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That's all the results invalidated then. Better re-run the time trial.

Beasty wrote: »
    A very big point over here though

(small point, but it's spelt Ardgillan:D)

They're missing the rather massive point that Ardgillan Castle isn't even a castle, it's just a small empty house with a bit of a garden.

I'm not posting that there though, they'll rip me a new one. Crazy geopedants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Dave11 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long it usually takes of results to be posted and is it on the club site or where?

Dave, i hope to have the results up on the swordscc website before the weekend. I'll be in touch with Breda later today. I won't get it done this evening, as the league Launch night is on this evening. Do you think you can wait till friday?:D

( Once there up-I'll let yez know)

cheers

blorg wrote: »
    That's all the results invalidated then. Better re-run the time trial.

Cool, I can take part in the next one.

BTW, don't forget about your bike on the roof of your car when entering a car park with a height limit pole at it's entrance. Will phone Cycleways today and get my Cannondale checked out :(

My time last night was: 4.58

Hungrycol wrote: »
    BTW, don't forget about your bike on the roof of your car when entering a car park with a height limit pole at it's entrance. Will phone Cycleways today and get my Cannondale checked out :(

My time last night was: 4.58
    That was you Hungrycol - sorry about that. I didn't see what was happening but heard a collective Noooooooooo! from everyone around me, then the "crunch". Hopefully you were very lucky, as it took quite a clout

Are many going to the league launch this eve?

• Advertisement
Advertisement