Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

small works contracts

• 14-04-2010 10:43am
    Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭

Just had a quick look at some UK sites and there are contracts readily available for small works such as the FMB and JCT.

Does Ireland have such ease of availability of contracts for small works??

In the very few cases ive had were the client actually agrees that a contract is a good idea* its always left to the solicitor to organise. Are there none readily available for download at a reasonable fee??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Normally I use the RIAI SF 88 (Pink) contract for small works, as it's fairly straight forward.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

archtech wrote: »
    Normally I use the RIAI SF 88 (Pink) contract for small works, as it's fairly straight forward.

how do you obtain them??

does merrion sq simply post them out for a fee?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    how do you obtain them??

does merrion sq simply post them out for a fee?

In a nut shell that's it. don't ask me how much they cost, as we had a stock pile of them here, and only used the last one last month and it doesn't look like I will be needing another for a while :(

do you have to be RIAI registered to receive them ?? :confused:;)

No as basically the contract is between the client (employer) and contractor and not the party who administrates the contract eg Architect Architectural technologist/Technician/Engineer etc. And the RIAI contracts are the the agreed standard contract between the CIF/RIAI SCS.

The RIAI have agreed to alter the wording in their next print run to allow the term architect be substituted , in light of the registration of the term architect.

At the end of the day the sale of the contact is in thier interest, in that it is a (small) form of income for them.

• Advertisement

thanks for that archtech.

must get my hands on one to check out the clauses.

Ive only ever worked with the yellow one (YL 1-02... i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭YouWantWhat

The SF88 is not worth bothering with, its just an agreement between the client and the builder. You build what you've priced for and I'll pay the money. The whole idea of having a building contract is to cater for things when they don't go according to plan. eg. instructions issued, delays, non-payment, extras, sub-contractors etc. SF88 does not deal with these issues satisfactorly. You are better off using the RIAI standard form of contract, without or without quantities, which caters for all these types of issues. You can buy these contracts from the RIAI, and there are about €30 each. You don't have to be a member of the RIAI.

The SF88 is not worth bothering with, its just an agreement between the client and the builder. You build what you've priced for and I'll pay the money. The whole idea of having a building contract is to cater for things when they don't go according to plan. eg. instructions issued, delays, non-payment, extras, sub-contractors etc. SF88 does not deal with these issues satisfactorly. You are better off using the RIAI standard form of contract, without or without quantities, which caters for all these types of issues. You can buy these contracts from the RIAI, and there are about €30 each. You don't have to be a member of the RIAI.

is that the 'yellow' one, youwantwhat???

(god, i sound like an idiot :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭YouWantWhat

As far as I can remember the SF88 is pink. The RIAI standard form of contract without quantities is blue, and I think the one with quantities is yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

SF88 doesn't cover everything, but its has a place.
    My current employer bills for cost+margin.
    no contract, no issues
    It all depends on the situation.

• Advertisement

As far as I can remember the SF88 is pink. The RIAI standard form of contract without quantities is blue, and I think the one with quantities is yellow.

Your colours are correct in terms of the different contracts. In terms of suitability of the SF88 contract or any contract for the matter, the selected form of contract should be appropriate to the works to be undertaken under the contract. Horses for courses.

Advertisement