Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excel Help Needed

• 14-04-2010 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Ok guys, may turn out to be stupid question but here goes.

Here is what i want to do:
    I want to set up a template/form in Excel that i can send a group. They will then save this template on their desktop. They will be using it regularly.

I then want to have a link or something attached in the file so that they can click it and it will automatically generate a mail for them with the file already attached. Alternatively, click the link and it sends the file.

It would be sent to the one person all the time so that should make it a little easier.

Any help is much appreciated.

Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tonyagrey

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tonya, if they simply save a copy of that file, then they can right click on it and choose "Send to -> Mail Recipient" and it'll bring up an email window with the file attached.

Your other option is to create a macro which saves the file and then sends it as an email. There should be a "Send" option in the File menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

seamus wrote: »
    Tonya, if they simply save a copy of that file, then they can right click on it and choose "Send to -> Mail Recipient" and it'll bring up an email window with the file attached.

Your other option is to create a macro which saves the file and then sends it as an email. There should be a "Send" option in the File menu.
    You don't have to do that, you can do it directly from within Excel

File -> Send to > Mail recipient as attachment

Other than that, I guess you are looking at writing a macro of some kind

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tonyagrey

Thats what i thought alright.

Is it difficult to write a macro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

See here some example...
    Be carefully, as adding macros to excel is tricky from security alerts point of view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/commandlines.htm
    /a  
    Creates an item with the specified file as an attachment.
    Usage:
    Outlook /a "C:\My Documents\labels.doc" 

Would that work, say a shortcut o their desktops?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 evensteve

Macros are not hard to create. You just select 'Macro' from the tools and everything you then do within Excel is recorded until you click the 'Stop' button. You will then be able to repeat the actions that you performed, by going back to tools and running the macro you created. If you have programming skills you can customise further. It is a real boon for repeating frequently performed tasks. However, there is not much advantage in this instance, as in its basic form, it offers no real improvements over the methods above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

tonyagrey wrote: »
    Ok guys, may turn out to be stupid question but here goes.

Here is what i want to do:
    I want to set up a template/form in Excel that i can send a group. They will then save this template on their desktop. They will be using it regularly.

I then want to have a link or something attached in the file so that they can click it and it will automatically generate a mail for them with the file already attached. Alternatively, click the link and it sends the file.

It would be sent to the one person all the time so that should make it a little easier.

Any help is much appreciated.

Tony
    If it is a really simple spreadsheet and you are just using it to collect data from each of them, have you looked at google docs yet? They open it up in their web-browser and edit it, all the while you have full access to the data without them having to email it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

you're a dirty double poster tony ;) I replied in the other thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65478866&postcount=9

make sure your default mail program is set as it just pulls up what ever is set. In internet explorer, go to "tools" "internet options" in the programs tab set your "email" program.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iquitalready

Have you thought about using Dropbox? It's mainly for backing up and syncing your own files over multiple computers but you can share a folder that you can invite other dropbox users to join. I've been using it for a while to share an Excel list between a few friends. Anytime any one of us updates the list, it is automatically synced to all the other's computers. And most importantly, it's free (up to 2GB anyway).

• Advertisement
Advertisement