Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Disc Drive

• 14-04-2010 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

So I have an Xbox 360 which I haven't used in a long time, its one of the 1st ones that came out. I don't use it 'cause it seems to wreck my game discs around the edges. Would a new DVD drive sort this problem, are they relatively cheap and easy to repair? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Yup new drive should eliminate the problem, be aware though that its not just a case of swapping drives out, the drive you put in will need to have a key that matches the motherboard, so Basically you need to do the same process that would would if your modifying the drive

I've seen a few 360 drives for sale on adverts a while back, might be worth a look.

In order of decentness I would rate the 360 drives like this

Lite on (some of the newer ones are hard to mod though) > Benq >>> Samsung > your broken drive> an old sock > hitachi

So if you have a choice get a Lite-on or a Benq, stay away from hitachis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yup new drive should eliminate the problem, be aware though that its not just a case of swapping drives out, the drive you put in will need to have a key that matches the motherboard, so Basically you need to do the same process that would would if your modifying the drive

I've seen a few 360 drives for sale on adverts a while back, might be worth a look.

In order of decentness I would rate the 360 drives like this

Lite on (some of the newer ones are hard to mod though) > Benq >>> Samsung > your broken drive> an old sock > hitachi

So if you have a choice get a Lite-on or a Benq, stay away from hitachis!

You better mean an old crusty sock, any old sock just won't cut it when it comes to beating the Hitachi - what a crap drive :mad:

OP, if there isn't anything wrong with the drive you could save yourself some expense, open up the drive and place two or three pads on the inside of the top case. This will prevent the disc from tilting and hitting off the laser housing which is most likely the cause of your scratches.

If you need more info, check out this page: http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/Refurbishing-the-HL-Xbox-360-DVD-Drive.htm

And as you say you havnt used it in a long time its most likely Jtagable, which you may be interested in.

Some good threads on it in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Crosáidí wrote: »
    So I have an Xbox 360 which I haven't used in a long time, its one of the 1st ones that came out. I don't use it 'cause it seems to wreck my game discs around the edges. Would a new DVD drive sort this problem, are they relatively cheap and easy to repair? Thanks
    cisk wrote: »
    And as you say you havnt used it in a long time its most likely Jtagable, which you may be interested in.

Very true. If your not interested, then a lot of people would be.

Id gladly swap you a perfectly working xbox360 for your broken one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

cisk wrote: »

Whats Jtagable when its at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Just came out of Tesco in Clare Hall. Good few Jaspers for 199 and Falcons for 179, all Jtagable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Hey Guys,
    I replaced my Xbox a year or so ago because the DVD drive wouldn't read any disks.
    Thinking now of either fixing and giving it to my sister, or modding it.
    How easy is it to open up, and replace the drive, flash it etc?
    I've done some PC repair before, but never open the 360.
    Thanks,

Edit: It reads some disks, some of the time, maybe drive is repairable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

mcgovern wrote: »
    Hey Guys,
    I replaced my Xbox a year or so ago because the DVD drive wouldn't read any disks.
    Thanks,

That sounds awful like to me you have a crusty old sock ...

You have 3 options at this stage:

1: Replace drive - Involves reading firmware off original and flashing the new one (going to need to do this anyways if you want to mod it) Parts will be about €25 or so

2: Replace Laser - No flashing needed unless you need it modded, requires pot tweaking the majority of the time (which is quite difficult) Part only costs about €7

3: If its Jtaggable (which it sounds like it could be) I'm sure someone would sort you out an xbox in exchange for that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

mcgovern wrote: »
    Hey Guys,
    Thanks,

Can you check the dashboard version for us? Does it have HDMI? if it does and if it has dashboard version under 8*** I will exchange that for freshly refurbished xbox straight from Microsoft, which I'm expecting to get in a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

That sounds awful like to me you have a crusty old sock ...

You have 3 options at this stage:

1: Replace drive - Involves reading firmware off original and flashing the new one (going to need to do this anyways if you want to mod it) Parts will be about €25 or so

2: Replace Laser - No flashing needed unless you need it modded, requires pot tweaking the majority of the time (which is quite difficult) Part only costs about €7

3: If its Jtaggable (which it sounds like it could be) I'm sure someone would sort you out an xbox in exchange for that one

Thanks, I'll check out the price of drives online.

@docentore, no it doesn't have HDMI, its a 4th replacement for an launch day console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 steve7791

hey i have the Hitachi GDR-3120L Xbox 360 DVD Drive and its currently playing up on me so i managed to get a replacement one the thing im wondering is will the BENQ VAD6038 Xbox 360 DVD Drive work if i swap them around???

You will need to read the Hitachi firmware, get the drive key, inject it into BenQ firmware, spoof the firmware to report as a hitachi(whatever revision).

Then it wil work, go to jungleflasher.net, download the manual and application. Read the manual many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Also if you run into trouble, try dosflash instead. I had huge probs with jf on win7 x64, then tried dosflash & it worked first time.

Advertisement