Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Biting all the time

Options
  • 14-04-2010 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi All,

Hopefully someone out there can help me, this topic has probably come up before but all advice gratefully accepted :)

Just got a new puppy 3 weeks ago, he's a Bordernese (Bernese Mountain Dog cross Border Collie), he's 9 weeks old and as cute as a button, but he is biting everything and everyone! No one is safe.. he's mad after people toes, heels and last night bit my shin and my god does it hurt I've tried the gentle voice and the stern voice, the tap on the nose, the stamp of my foot etc but nothing works. He might stop for a second then when he thinks you’re not looking, he’s over again to attack :(I know all puppies go through this phase but it’s like he’s getting worse. I’ve gotten loads of chew toys for him, including a teething ring but it’s as if your feet and limbs are more exciting. Also, he’s eaten most of my house plants and even a stalk from my Aloe Vera plant and is starting on the furniture now. I think I’ve gotten the Marley of this litter :p

Just wondering if anyone out there has any tips or advice in this matter?? I have heard of using a rolled up newspaper... does this actually work???

Yours…
    Bewildered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

For starters you got the pup way too young, at 6 weeks old it should be still with its littermates and its mum. 8-9 weeks is the minimum age a pup should leave the litter so this is probably where your problem lies.

Puppies learn bite inhibition from their littermates and if taken away too early then they can have problems.

Please do not tap on the nose, or stamp your foot as its not necessary.

You need to let out a yelp when puppy bites and remove the pup from situation and not give any attention until the pup is calm again, he will soon learn this behaviour is not acceptable.

What would you use rolled up newspaper for???:mad: to hit the dog? please do not do this as its cruel.

Puppies bite and chew, its what they do, you have to teach whats good behaviour and reward that, not punish the dog by hitting it as you will end up with a dog with worse problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hi Daisy,

have a look at this thread, there is a lot of good information for new puppy owners.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055730763

Taking a wild guess...he was taken too soon from his mother and litter mates. Pups should be at least 8 weeks before going to a new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Firstly please, please, please just call it a Bernese cross. Bordernese? :confused:

Secondly, follow the advice from andreac & TillyGirl. Let out a yelp when the puppy bites, and then ignore it for a while. Keep doing this, and it should learn "Bite = No More Playtime".

As for eating furniture, this is a bit more difficult as you can't be there to watch the puppy all the time. When he starts chewing something he shouldn't, make a suitable noise to stop him and then offer him one of his own chew toys. When he takes this and starts chewing on it, praise him.

All this will take patience and time, but keep at it and he should learn pretty quickly what he can chew and what he can't. Do expect damaged furniture, plants, doors etc along the way though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

He's so young, but you can still train him. You just need to be very consistent with it and tell all other people he'll be in contact with to be consistent also.

Let out a loud yelp, and completely ignore the dog until he settles. When he's settled, praise him for being good and give him a little treat. One of the best ways to do this is to stand up, and completely turn your back on him and fold your arms. Dogs focus on eye contact, so if he notices that you're refusing to let him see your face, he'll know somethings up and he's definitely being ignored. It will confuse him enough to know that he's done something wrong. (that tactic also stops dogs from jumping up on you. They'll rarely jump up on you when your back is turned, and keep turning away from him). Hitting, shouting or stomping feet will only scare the dog and may trigger an agressive streak later on in life. Lots of praise when he's good, and completely ignore when he's bad.

Let us know how you get on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daisygirl

Thanks for all your replies.

When I went to collect him, I got a vet to check him and they said he was grand to go but no matter now, he’s moved in and he’s loved, I’m know now that if he had of had a few more weeks with his littermates things would be better for us and him.

The rolled up newspaper was suggested not for hitting but ruffling, seemingly puppies don’t like the sound of paper :rolleyes:

Thanks Purpur, unfortunately I wasn’t at home last night but I passed on the “non eye contact” if he bites so I’ll find out if that worked.

Sorry Noopti.. I’m was unaware of the correct name to call him, Bernese Cross does seem a lot better than Bordernese :)

It was recently suggested that I use Kong Chew Toys? Has anybody had any success with these?

I’ve read the link, thanks TillyGirl, but got a bit scared.. and a few tips, luckily enough my puppy has settled in fine, he’s in a routine, for eating, going to bed, doing his business, he has a short walk each morning and each evening and has play time.

I’ll keep you informed of the biting issue

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Daisygirl wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies.

I’ve read the link, thanks TillyGirl, but got a bit scared.. and a few tips, luckily enough my puppy has settled in fine, he’s in a routine, for eating, going to bed, doing his business, he has a short walk each morning and each evening and has play time.

Just checking, has your pup had all its vaccinations? If not then it shouldnt be out walking yet until they are all completed as it will be a risk from serious diseases which can be fatal if caught, ie Lepto, Parvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Daisygirl wrote: »
    It was recently suggested that I use Kong Chew Toys? Has anybody had any success with these?
    Yep, I would recommend one of these. Of all of the toys, even the ones marked "indestructible" that I've bought, the Kong is the only that has survived more than ten minutes. It's still only scratched and pitted, they're tough as old boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RonA

For the record, "Bordernese" is a fine and fairly well established name for a Border Collie/Bernese Mountain Dog mix. "Border Mix" is simply too vague. Lots of dogs get mixed with the Border breed but when the Bernese Mountain Dog is part of the mix it is a very special kind of animal. Be advised that the Bordernese tends to be far larger than the Border mix norm. I suspect that is why ours wound up in a shelter when she was somewhere around 18 months old. We had that wonderful dog for 14 years and I still miss her. She was extremely intelligent, wonderfully gentle, very loving and great with both kids and dogs. At her peak she weighed 126 pounds, which is more than double the Border Collie norm. I'd love to get another dog just like her but since we already have two dogs (including a delightful Border/Australian Shepherd mix), I'd probably wind up with a costly divorce if I did.
    Just so you know, Bordernese dogs are a bit hard to find and they tend to be somewhat pricey. Also, I'm told that the AKC recognizes them as a hyrid breed, which is even more reason not to eschew the Bordernese moniker.
    As for the joys of owning one of these animals, I can assure you that they are an unending delight. If you can't fall deeply in love with a Bordernese, you aren't capable of love. I loved mine right up until the end. By then her hips had become a problem (despite two-plus costly weeks of physical rehab at a vet hospital) but since she always wanted to sleep in our upstairs bedroom I carried her in my arms up our steep stairs each night. Somehow, it never seemed a burden. I was sure she would have done the same for me had our situations been reversed.
    So to any Bordernese owner out there I say, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. I have owned many dogs during my nearly 66 years of life and I have never owned a better breed than the Bordernese. As for those puppy nips and the like, enjoy them too. That stage doesn't last long and it only shows that the animal is playful and loves to be engaged with people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

Bordernese is not a dog breed

i had he same trouble with the biting and chewing with my samoyed, they eventualy grow out of it, if the pup starts chewing something it shouldn't distract them and give them something they are allowed to chew on

good luck with the pup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RonA

So what does "Bordernese is not a dog breed" mean? It is a well established "hybrid breed," which means it is a mix so commonly produced as to be immediately recognizable and reasonably consistent. More to the point, the "Bordernese" label provides clarity and specificity and thus minimizes confusion, much as any accurately applied proper noun does in any form of communication on any subject. So, puh-lease, spare me and this thread's proud Bordernese puppy owner the persnickety lectures about dog breeds, dahling. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the Bordernese label. it is a fine label that instantly makes a distinction between that particular genetic combination and any number of other Border Colie mixes of which there are many, including the Border/Aussie mix that one of my own wonderful dogs represents.
    It's worth noting, as an aside, that the Boston Terrier started as a hybrid and is now officially recognized as pure. You know what they say about paradigms--shift happens.
    In any event, a Bordernese by any other name is still a fine dog and I am envious of anyone fortunate enough to own one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

For starters you got the pup way too young, at 6 weeks old it should be still with its littermates and its mum. 8-9 weeks is the minimum age a pup should leave the litter so this is probably where your problem lies.

I used to think this two but I don't believe it's 100% true.
    Our latest dog we got when he was 3 months old, before we got him he was around his litter mates, mum and other dogs plus small kids, adults etc.

He's always been around dogs of all sizes, and yet he still went through the naughty bitey nippy stage, he's 1 now and although he's nothing like he was he still is a tad nippy and is still a bit of a pup. I'm not saying he's badly behaved or anything I'm just saying that just because a pup is taken away at a younger age does not making them any more bitey than a pup taken away at an older age.

All puppies chance their arm and bite and nip. Some dogs though are more nippy than others, our middle girl wasn't half as nippy as our newest guy in fact don't think she was even much of a chewer when it came to furniture etc. So each pooch is different.

At 9 weeks it's normal for them to nip ..annoying but normal and obviously pups need guidance but some take a while regardless to start behaving nicely.

Enrolling in puppy classes would be great for you and the dog, give plenty of chew toys like puppy kongs, red kongs perhaps instead because he's prob. a stronger chewer. Ice cubes are good too.
    When the pup nips or bites walk away ignore the pup..they hate that.
    Or say no firmly and hand them their own toy to chew on esp. handy when sitting on the couch with them.
    Have chew toys everywhere so you always have them to hand.

Don't envy you, so glad we're finally out of the young pup stage and sleep interrupted nights lol.

Advertisement