Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with motherboard and RAM

Options
  • 14-04-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I just bought a new motherboard, CPU and RAM on Komplett and it all arrived last night.

Specs

Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7
    CPU Intel i7 930
    And RAM is 6 * 4GB sticks of Corsair DDR 3 1066 RAM (2 12GB kits)

Started the build, seated the CPU and heatsink (stock intel) and seated the RAM and existing GFX card. Powered on to check at this point as per normal and no joy. Will not POST and gives an error LED code of C1 which according to the manual is

Detect memory
    - Auto-detection of DRAM size, type and ECC

I tried with just sticks in slots 1, 3, 5 and no joy, and again with one in slot 1. Tried all slots with each stick and still the same.

So trying to figure out whats happening.

I have managed to get hold of a single DDR3 PC3-10600 2GB stick to check if its the RAM and if I can get it to boot, possibly I can update the BIOS.

Anything else I should try..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

That RAM kit is ECC RAM which afaik is only compatible with Xeons.

You'll need to use standard non-ECC RAM instead.

For example, 3 of these kits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I think you just hit the nail on the head.. quickly looking at the specs on the board it says NON-ECC and I have ECC kits.. well it looks like I need to send them back then..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

As you said, change the RAM, ECC is usually used in servers for correcting problems on-the-fly.

Let us know how it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Komplett letting me return the RAM so I can order the non-ECC version .. tho there will be a delay of a week but thats alright..

Thanks for the help folks

Advertisement