Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving to Portlaoise Tomorrow Morning from Dublin, How Long of Journey?

• 14-04-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have to be down in Portlaoise for about 9:45am tomorrow morning.

Was planning to drive but not sure how much time I need to leave.

Live in Ballsbridge so will head along the canal all the way on to Davvit Road and the Naas Road, I suspect this could be quite slow.

Then its N7 and M7 all they way, I'm guessing that part wont be too bad as I'm leaving Dublin.

Any advice on what time I'd need to leave at would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭underthetumb

from red cow you will be in portlaoise in 45 minutes, not sure how long it will take to get to red cow from ballsbridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

blobert wrote: »
    Hello,

Live in Ballsbridge so will head along the canal all the way on to Davvit Road and the Naas Road, I suspect this could be quite slow.

Then its N7 and M7 all they way, I'm guessing that part wont be too bad as I'm leaving Dublin.

Thanks
    Would it not be quicker to head down to the m50 from the N11?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

blobert wrote: »
    Hello,

Thanks

Don't go near Davitt Road; in fact I will go one further and suggest you avoid the canal at all costs. Aside from it being longer than alternative routes, you are traveling on one big long bottle neck.

Head for Adelaide Road and straight onto the SCR to Clogher Road; it's the turn off after the Stadium and Griffith College. This will take you to Crumlin Hospital and the Long Mile Road with less snarl points, traffic lights and about 3 miles shorter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Don't go near Davitt Road; in fact I will go one further and suggest you avoid the canal at all costs. Aside from it being longer than alternative routes, you are traveling on one big long bottle neck.

Head for Adelaide Road and straight onto the SCR to Clogher Road; it's the turn off after the Stadium and Griffith College. This will take you to Crumlin Hospital and the Long Mile Road with less snarl points, traffic lights and about 3 miles shorter
    I don't understand why one would head "back in" for the canal or SCR when the m50 is a short hop down the n11?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I don't understand why one would head "back in" for the canal or SCR when the m50 is a short hop down the n11?

Given that OP mentions the canal, I can only assume that the canal is handy to him hence my suggesting the SCR. Aside from getting onto Adelaide Road, it is moving entirely against the traffic flow so it ought to move well.

To get to the M 50 from Ballsbridge one has to firstly get onto the N 11 and then onto the M 50 via the Goat, Leopardstown/Brewery Road or Stillorgan village, all of which mean going through Sandyford Industrial Estate. The next best option after this is to join the M 50 at Dundrum. While generally they are fine, at rush hour these routes are not short hops nor is the section from Tallaght to the Red Cow. Regardless of time saved, routes via the M 50 are rarely short cuts in terms of distance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Before I moved to Naas earlier this year, I was commuting from Islandbridge to Naas and it was taking me about 1 hour 5 minutes leaving at 7.40. The toughest bit will be getting from Ballsbridge to Newlands Cross - I'd consider leaving reasonably early, hitting the canal and taking a left at Dolphins Barn to take you through Crumlin to the Long Mile Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭blobert

Hamndegger wrote: »

Thanks so much for the replies guys.

I'm going to give this route a go.

Live on the canal at Baggot St bridge, so this is the closest option.

Better get off to bed now:)

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Where possible I avoid the canal as the lights are set up for red after red after red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭blobert

Just wanted to say thanks again, route worked out great and I got down there in 1 hrs 20 mins leaving at about 8am, and that was taking it very easy on the motorway.

Thanks again, I really appreciated the help

Advertisement