Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mind your belongings on the train

• 14-04-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

I was on the train last night. I was heading to a first aid course, and due to the new timetable, had to change trains at Howth Junction from the commuter to the DART on the Howth line. The carriage was about a third full at about 7pm when I got on at Howth Junction. Then this guy starts trying to steal one guys bag, but he wasn't letting the other guy near it, and stood up to him, despite the perpetrator threatening him with a knife. The perpetrator then attacked a young guy on the dart - there was some shuffling before he cut the bag from the young guy and jumped off at Kilbarrack.

Just a heads up to watch your belongings, and it could be an idea to leave cash cards etc at home, or to carry them on your person, and not in a bag.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i thought there was security on these late night dart trains?

or better still if all the passengers turned savage on these scumbags they would think twice but probably then turn their attention towards more elderly people or children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Kilbarrack eh!

Back to the 1980s we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I think the scum have the impression IE are a soft touch. No point in having CCTV etc. if it isn't being monitored.

@mystical did you get in touch with IE to let them know? I know it seems futile but maybe the guy at the other end of the phone will be new enough not to be ground down yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Foggy Lad, I wouldn't call 7pm a "late night" train. They do have security, but not enough IMHO.

Someone on the train pulled the emergency lever to alert the driver, and the guards were called who came and took statements and our details. They took details of which one of us was wearing what so they would know who was who from the CCTV footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Kilbarrack eh!

Hey! That's my line. (as in quote and not "The Commitments Express train"):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Robin Wren

Foggy Lad, I wouldn't call 7pm a "late night" train. They do have security, but not enough IMHO.

Someone on the train pulled the emergency lever to alert the driver, and the guards were called who came and took statements and our details. They took details of which one of us was wearing what so they would know who was who from the CCTV footage.

Good that some action was taken.

It would be nice if thugs like that could be sorted by citizen action,
    but it's rarely that simple, most people usually aren't switched onto a situation like that, and at the end of the day aren't obliged to become involved.

Need to be careful too if the thug has a weapon,
    a lot of have a go people have been hurt by desperate criminals.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I saw the Gardai at Kilbarrack yesterday on my way home and wondered what had happened. It's bad to see such things happening but I don't think it's necessary to worry during your journey, any more than you would used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Sponge Bob:Kilbarrack eh!

DWCommuter: Hey! That's my line. (as in quote and not "The Commitments Express train")

Oddly enough that was the first location that popped into my closed little mind when I read the opening lines of the OP.

Whether any of us like to admit it or not,there are sadly a few regular haunts where these creepy types operate.

Most of the "regulars" will have definite preferences for particular Stations/BusStops for a variety of reasons,mainly to do with their inherent laziness.

Thus you will probably find the creep either lives,drinks or meets his dealer close to the Station.

Good to see that the Gardai were at least interested enough to be interested in reviewing the CCTV as the next step for this criminal genius is most likely to stick a knife in some poor innocent commuter.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,865 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Security usually go on the trains around 5pm, strange there was none on that train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Security usually go on the trains around 5pm, strange there was none on that train.

I have never seen any security on the trains around 5pm. I get a train every day from Pearse at about 5.20pm, and never seen any signs of security on the trains then, but it would be a nightmare at that time if there were, due to the number of passengers boarding the trains.

• Advertisement
Advertisement