Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest Supercar Ever

• 14-04-2010 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

Following on from a previous thread I want you to ask yourself what you think the greatest supercar of all time is.

Not to be based on pure numbers alone, also consider the innovation to create it, the style , the impact it had at its time of launch relative to the era and of coures the stats....Enjoy.

PS Please feel free to add anything I've missed. I've gone with the obvious choices but I know there are 100's of other potential inclusions ;)

A) Bugatti Veyron
    bugatti-veyron.gif

B) Ferrari F40
    5.jpg

C) Porsche 959
    porsche-9591.jpg

D)Lamborghini Miura
    lamborghini-miura-s-main.jpg

E) Honda NSX
    pic-56044.jpeg

F) McLaren F1
    mclarenf1side.jpg

G) Pagani Zonda
    Pagani_Zonda_F-364970.jpeg

H) Ferrari Enzo
    racecar-ferrari-enzo.gif

I) Jaguar XJ 220
    FT-WoW-B1000-JaguarXJ220.jpg

J) Lamborghini Countach
    lamborghini-countach-lp400-front-3_109.jpg

K) Dodge Viper
    pic-62755.jpeg

L) Maserati Bora
    Maserati_Bora_Side.jpg

All sooooooo lovely :D

The Greatest Supercar Ever Is..... 126 votes

A) Veyron
    0%
    B) F40
    17%
    unkelPeter CmjquinnoCiaran500homer90WazdakkaflazioDancorviper123muboop1Zonda999steve frenchGavRedKingMichael 09McGaz23goddevilcadaliacquestionmark?catinyMoodeRator 22 votes
    C) 959
    21%
    ARGINITEvectrababypinkncc98071RedorDeadCionádTheCollCmar-IrelandKamiKaziMax_DamageBeta Ray BillAlanstrainorrowanhLurchingVoodoomelonEvil_Clownactua11Mr.Davidno1beemerfanD_BEAR 27 votes
    D) Miura
    3%
    cdbT-MaxxCianRyanSaab EdBig Nasty 5 votes
    E) NSX
    3%
    Anan1smashduffaramaNissan doctor 4 votes
    F) Mc F1
    2%
    EPMMidnight_EG4g92mit 3 votes
    G) Zonda
    31%
    Matt SimisShevYPaddyFaganDe HipsterSeth BrundleLord Nikon2 Espressispartacus93dceiresteppenBBMcQbillius[Deleted User]colm_mcmCosmo Kh3000sundodger5ongariteVictor_Mpmq71 40 votes
    H) Enzo
    3%
    youcancallmealShane732Max Power1colatubebmw535d 5 votes
    I) XJ 220
    5%
    jamiehsnowyeoghanrebel.ranterprivateBeaviskwalsheBuford T Justicemaxi R 7 votes
    J) Countach
    3%
    Cuddlesworth[Deleted User]windowlickershanel23Mr Benevolent 5 votes
    K) Viper
    6%
    Kintarō HattorihamsterboyquazzybikoTropheussquodmcwhirterbladespin 8 votes
    L) Bora
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

E) NSX
    Too many cars missing from that list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

D) Miura
    steve06 wrote: »
    Too many cars missing from that list!

I know, I know but what could I do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

F) Mc F1
    Can't pick just one:mad:

E) NSX
    Why have the Miura & Countach but no Diablo? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

G) Zonda
    Have to say the McLaren F1.
    Its still the ultimate driving machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

B) F40
    The Zonda is definitely my favourite supercar, just so bonkers looking with an amazing soundtrack

But surely supercars are also about engineering firsts and speed, and excess so it kinda has to be the veyron :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

G) Zonda
    Have to say the McLaren F1.
    Its still the ultimate driving machine.

Me too, the first extreme engineered super car, gold plated engine bay, thin paint, custom made everything to add more lightness:D

Still an absolute thing of very very rare beauty, I've seen way more Veyron's than it, in fact the only one I saw was on Park Lane in London years ago, when, for some reason McClaren felt the need to have a showroom on Park lane, I drooled over it many time when I lived there. And to see it hold it's own against the Veyron on TG last year goes to show how high a bar it raised when it was launched all those years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

C) 959
    No contest, it has to be the Ferrari F40 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

B) F40
    Veyron - that car re wrote the rule book IMO

G) Zonda
    Victor_M wrote: »
    Me too, the first extreme engineered super car, gold plated engine bay, thin paint, custom made everything to add more lightness:D

Still an absolute thing of very very rare beauty, I've seen way more Veyron's than it, in fact the only one I saw was on Park Lane in London years ago, when, for some reason McClaren felt the need to have a showroom on Park lane, I drooled over it many time when I lived there. And to see it hold it's own against the Veyron on TG last year goes to show how high a bar it raised when it was launched all those years ago.

Actually in that race Hammond didn't use the Launch control on the Veyron to make the race more interesting. Wanted to show how much faster the Veyron is than the F1, even after the F1 pulled out an initial lead, the Veyron still managed to beat it by quite a margin...

And also there were only 109 Mclaren F1s made as opposed to 200 Veyrons + another few grandsport convertible ones...

Still in the Mclaren F1 you feel like a racing driver driving a racing car as opposed to the Veyron where it feels just like any other normal car on the inside. So as a driving experience, the Mclaren F1 is the ultimate as it gets.

• Advertisement

E) NSX
    homer90 wrote: »
    Veyron - that car re wrote the rule book IMO

performance... yes
    looks... no
    sense of occasion... no

Have you been close to one? they're so underwhelming!
    And also there were only 109 Mclaren F1s made as opposed to 200 Veyrons + another few grandsport convertible ones...
    Don't forget the 500 Enzo's

On another note, the SLR 722 should probably be in there.

G) Zonda
    Could also throw in the Murcielago SV.
    Probably the best Lamborghini made to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

G) Zonda
    of that list it would have to be the F1.......
    which i voted for...

but would consider...

SLR in their.....

E) NSX
    I think Topgear had it spot on with the 4 cars they did in that episode:

F1
    Veyron
    Murci SV

Then throw in the Zonda, Koenigsegg, Enzo, XJ220, Ford GT, Carrera GT

now that's a list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

The 1933 Napier-Railton, Greatest Supercar of all time

80865630.WQHeWckf.D2X_6883.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

G) Zonda
    GT40
    Shelby Cobra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

B) F40
    F1 good, Veyron better IMO.
    I can't coment on the sence of occasion. Both look stunning but I would imagine that the Veyron is just easier to drive albeit more modern.
    They will be talking about the Veyron for years to come.

Also a newbe to the list should be the new merc sls.....no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

G) Zonda
    f40 would be my favourite but the best still has to be the F1..I mean..LOOK AT IT! and the speed..oh the speed

D) Miura
    I think we have a winner ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

C) 959
    I dont see the Lotus Carlton included :o

• Advertisement

D) Miura
    vectra wrote: »
    I dont see the Lotus Carlton included :o

Ah thats not a supercar in the true sence of the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

B) F40
    It has to be the Veyron for me. For all the obvious reasons and because it is the brainchild of the most strong willed person in automotive history. Everyone kept telling him it could not be done, but he did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Isn't the Veyron not classed as a hyper car?

Very close for me between the F1 & F40, but if someone offered me the choice of one over the other, I'd pick the F1.....no the F40...actually the F1...:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

C) 959
    The F40 is my favorite car and it got my vote. I think the Nsx is amazing too, especially as you can own one if you want to, i always wanted to buy one when i turned 30 though its not looking like that will happen as its getting close and i dont have 20k lying around for a car :(

B) F40
    Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Isn't the Veyron not classed as a hyper car?

Yep. Better than any supercar by definition :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

C) 959
    Saab Ed wrote: »
    Ah thats not a supercar in the true sence of the word.

Super-Saloon though :D

OK then
    I will settle for a plain old F40 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

B) F40
    Bar the obivious NSX and Dodge Viper, I think they are all hypercars or would have being in there day.

Veyron for me though, of all the cars on the list it would be one of the easiest to use everyday, or so it seems and has them all pretty much top trumped.

If I had the money i would take a Veyron, also special mention to the Lambo Miura and had it been on the list, Lambo Murci SV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

shocking there is no gt40, or cobra or 250gto. 3 of the greats. can't possibly pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Not having driven any I have no opinion. From a purely appearances perspective - the only one I can offer - the Miura.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

G) Zonda
    rowanh wrote: »
    I think the Nsx is amazing too, especially as you can own one if you want to, i always wanted to buy one when i turned 30 though its not looking like that will happen as its getting close and i dont have 20k lying around for a car :(

It'd be a fair bit out of its league here i'm afraid. The NSX is cool and all but it doesnt belong in this thread. A bog standard 1995 NSX will do 0-60 in 7.6 seconds! thats slower than the second fastest version of most hot hatches these days!

Edit: Just thinking about that. There is no way it takes an NSX 7.6 seconds to do 60mph! Auto trader's stats must be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

C) 959
    samsemtex wrote: »
    It'd be a fair bit out of its league here i'm afraid. The NSX is cool and all but it doesnt belong in this thread. A bog standard 1995 NSX will do 0-60 in 7.6 seconds! thats slower than the second fastest version of most hot hatches these days!

Edit: Just thinking about that. There is no way it takes an NSX 7.6 seconds to do 60mph! Auto trader's stats must be wrong.
    Auto trader stats are wrong, those might be the figures for the lower bhp automatic version.
    It's around 5 and a half seconds with the 3 litre and around 5 seconds for the 3.2, with the facelift Type R doing it in 4.something.
    Actually, I'd consider giving the NSX my vote for the reason that it gave Ferrari and Porsche the kick in the behind they needed and showing them that everyday usability and ultra reliability can actually be combined with fantastic track performance and a chassis that wasn't out for your blood.
    Gordon Murray loved the NSX, and he used the NSX as a benchmark for the F1 on how everyday usability could be combined with on-track behaviour. He actually said that in his efforts with the fantastic F1, he got close... but not quite matched the NSX on that basis. Quite the compliment. That and the fact that Ayrton loved the NSX so much that he'd have one in Europe to drive himself between GP's and in other continents when he got there. He also set up his own NSX dealership in Brazil.
    In the end though I gave my vote for the purest track performer on that list - the F40. Door handles? What kind of wimp wants door handles? Suppose you want a carpet too..! :D

D) Miura
    Tea 1000 wrote: »
    In the end though I gave my vote for the purest track performer on that list - the F40. Door handles? What kind of wimp wants door handles? Suppose you want a carpet too..! :D

Not to forget the Fiat Uno switchgear :eek::D

The NSX is around since 1989 , hard as that might be to beleive, and back then it sure was considered a supercar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

C) 959
    So hard to pick! It came down to the f40, zonda and nsx for me. I chose the f40 its the car i used to drool over as a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

J) Countach
    No-one else picked the XJ220? It's better looking and more powerful that most of the stuff on the list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

C) 959
    It just has to be the F40 for me. What a car!
    3152806285_f7f6974e45.jpg
    Sex on wheels.

• Advertisement

D) Miura
    Lets not forget , there's a difference between best and favorite super car. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

B) F40
    In that case the Veyron is streets ahead. Personally I like the Lambo Diablo, have had the pleasure to drive one very briefly and its an amazing piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 maxi R

I) XJ 220
    it has 2 be the enzo for me! i just got pissed of not be able to use all the 1000-odd bhp everyday of the veron that i settled for the 650 brake enzo instead- much more user friendly!! sounds better too:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

samsemtex wrote: »
    IA bog standard 1995 NSX will do 0-60 in 7.6 seconds!
    That's the 3.0L automatic targa. C&D timed the regular 3.2L model at 4.5 seconds with a top speed of 176mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote: »
    Yep. Better than any supercar by definition :p

Aren't hyper cars OTT, and not really super cars? Bit like Gary Glitter versus AC/DC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

G) Zonda
    Why have the Miura & Countach but no Diablo? :D
    May as well throw in the Murcielago, Gallardo and Reventon too.
    On another note, the SLR 722 should probably be in there.
    Why? Do you think it's better than the Veyron, McLaren, Enzo, F40, etc?
    Confab wrote: »
    No-one else picked the XJ220? It's better looking and more powerful that most of the stuff on the list!
    Bit too boring looking IMO. It's powerful but it's nowhere near as good as most of the cars on the list.
    This is true. My favorite is probably the Enzo but, relatively speaking, the McLaren, Veyron and F40 are more significant, iconic and groundbreaking. I can't decide between the three but I'm leaning towards the F1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

C) 959
    Id go with F40, its the kind of car you could only drive at the weekend, its stripped out and designed to be lightweight. No silly electric windows or driver aids.

For me its a raw super car, which is my ultimate kind of supercar.

B) F40
    The standard NSX (3l, 273BHP, 5sp manual) does 0-100km/h in about 6s. Pretty fast by all means, but in the early 90s that wasn't supercar performance. The F40 did it in about 4s in the late 80s. That clearly was supercar performance.

There's a lot more to being a supercar than acceleration obviously (you could add a rocket to a Toyota Starlet and see how fast it goes :D) but it is an easy and objective measure of comparison.

If you want to be a supercar, you really can't afford to be much slower than the average benchmark for your age :D

mid 70s - 7s
    mid 80s - 6s
    mid 90s - 5s
    mid 00s - 4s
    mid 10s - 3s

A second off that bench and you're just a pretender. Two seconds off and you're just a hot hatch. A second quicker is very impressive and more than that is impossible (or so they must have told Piech)

P.S. extrapolation is a no-no on those figures :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

K) Viper
    5850_110706121942.jpg
    722 for me.
    gumpert_apollo_geneve.jpg
    Gumpert Apollo surely a clear winner?

G) Zonda
    squod wrote: »
    Gumpert Apollo surely a clear winner?

Winner in what? Best supercar of all time??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

K) Viper
    PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Winner in what? Best supercar of all time??

Sure, why vote for a (relatively) slow super car. Lamborghini Countach for example is oh-so gorgeous but times have moved on in performance terms. The Gumpert sure isn't a looker if that's what your judging. So for me the 722, but on paper?

G) Zonda
    squod wrote: »
    Sure, why vote for a (relatively) slow super car. Lamborghini Countach for example is oh-so gorgeous but times have moved on in performance terms. The Gumpert sure isn't a looker if that's what your judging. So for me the 722, but on paper?
    I voted for the McLaren in the end, never even considered the Countach, but if being the fastest on paper automatically makes it the best then I guess the SSC Ultimate Aero is the only option. Thanks for clearing that up.

Mods, close the thread, we have a winner :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

D) Miura
    unkel wrote: »
    The standard NSX (3l, 273BHP, 5sp manual) does 0-100km/h in about 6s. Pretty fast by all means, but in the early 90s that wasn't supercar performance. The F40 did it in about 4s in the late 80s. That clearly was supercar performance.

There's a lot more to being a supercar than acceleration obviously (you could add a rocket to a Toyota Starlet and see how fast it goes :D) but it is an easy and objective measure of comparison.

If you want to be a supercar, you really can't afford to be much slower than the average benchmark for your age :D

mid 70s - 7s
    mid 80s - 6s
    mid 90s - 5s
    mid 00s - 4s
    mid 10s - 3s

A second off that bench and you're just a pretender. Two seconds off and you're just a hot hatch. A second quicker is very impressive and more than that is impossible (or so they must have told Piech)

P.S. extrapolation is a no-no on those figures :D

Have I been asleep for a few years or a few hours?!:confused:

Edit: Said 959

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Pique

288GTO. The ONLY car in or out of that list I would buy if I could afford any.
    Ferrari%20288%20GTO%20(1).jpg

D) Miura
    So there we have it. The conclusive opinion of our expert panel on boards have given the title of best supercar in the world to the Mc F1 followed by the F40 and third goes to the Veyron....

McLaren.F1.Gt.2.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement