Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest Supercar Ever

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote: »
    The standard NSX (3l, 273BHP, 5sp manual) does 0-100km/h in about 6s. Pretty fast by all means, but in the early 90s that wasn't supercar performance.
    1989 actually. The original 3L was around 5.2 seconds to 60, but manufacturers always understate performance to avoid egg-on-face. Better to be proven faster than proven slower (sorta like Porsche and the GT-R). QED by your (overly simplistic) metric.

We've been down this road before. The motoring world considers it a supercar, and looking at the spec sheet it and performance it was better than most of the opposition of the day, including the 911 and 355/360. If it wasn't then neither were they...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Audi R8 spyder V10 is most beautiful current supercar and best looking audi ever. End of story. watch the ad on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 PURE Ireland

Audi R8 spyder V10 is most beautiful current supercar and best looking audi ever. End of story. watch the ad on youtube.

Thats a sports car, not a Supercar.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Thats a sports car, not a Supercar.

it costs 250k and does 194mph with 0-60 in 4 secs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 PURE Ireland

it costs 250k and does 194mph with 0-60 in 4 secs.

My point exactly. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

H) Enzo
    what about the reventon! or is it spelled revengton?

anyway it looks like a jet fighter:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

D) Miura
    My point exactly. ;)

I don't see your logic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

An R8 is not a supercar....

Ferrari 458/430 = Sportscar
    Ferrari Enzo = Supercar

Porsche 911 Turbo = Sportscar
    Carrera GT = Supercar

Gallardo = Sportscar
    LP640 = Supercar

Audi R8 5.2 is a Gallardo in drag = Sportscar.

As a rough rule of thumb a supercar is normally a 200mph+, < 4 seconds to 60mph machine which tops the companies pecking order.

I think the R8 is an amazing car, but it's not something I lust after....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

J) Countach
    When did 0-60 become a performance indicator of a super car? I would have figured that price, handling, prestige, speed and luxury would all be good attributes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

K) Viper
    Has to be the Lambo countach, so many bedroom walls, I knwo they were awful but I'd love one still!

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

G) Zonda

Ferrari Enzo = Supercar

458 is faster around the ferrari track than the enzo....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

B) F40
    When did 0-60 become a performance indicator of a super car? I would have figured that price, handling, prestige, speed and luxury would all be good attributes.

I'm with rabbitinlights on this one. You can have all the price, handling, prestige, speed and luxury you want, but if you can only manage 0-100km/h in 5 seconds these days, you're not a supercar.

D) Miura
    An R8 is not a supercar....

Ferrari Enzo = Supercar

Porsche 911 Turbo = Sportscar
    Carrera GT = Supercar

Gallardo = Sportscar
    LP640 = Supercar

Audi R8 5.2 is a Gallardo in drag = Sportscar.

As a rough rule of thumb a supercar is normally a 200mph+, < 4 seconds to 60mph machine which tops the companies pecking order.

I think the R8 is an amazing car, but it's not something I lust after....

By that logic you're pooling the 420bhp R8 in the same group as the likes of a 350z or an S2000.
    Both, undeniably are sportscars and even though I personally prefer the Nissan in this case, the Audi is just miles and miles ahead of it in terms of performance and well... Money too.

I say this with out sounding like I'm trying to have a go at you, it just seems very pedantic to me, to say the R8 isn't a supercar, because it's 2mph(iirc) short of 200mph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

G) Zonda
    And? This isn't a discussion about the best looking Audi's.
    bmw535d wrote: »
    what about the reventon!
    What about it? Think you answered your own question there.

CianRyan wrote: »
    By that logic you're pooling the 420bhp R8 in the same group as the likes of a 350z or an S2000.

That's just putting words in my mouth!! :D

The R8 (even the V8) is still in the (very ;)) upper end of the sports car spectrum, it's just way out of it's depth in such company as the Carrera GT, Enzo, LP640, Zonda etc which are supercars through and through.

It's all getting a bit blurred these days with the likes of the 458 & Turbo doing manic 0-60 times (the new turbo did 3.1 in the WET recently!) but a supercar is an "event" it should stop traffic and make people who are not car heads look and stare at it... a friend of mine recently saw an R8 and said "that new TT is pretty tasty"

I don't mind people thinking I'm wrong, it's just my opinion and I like hearing other peoples thoughts too!!

• Advertisement

D) Miura
    I know what you mean about the whole OTT head turning factor, but I've always thought of those as hypercars.
    The ridicules end of the scale, like the 722 and the likes of those.

In my mind at least it's always been:
    Sportscar - Affordable, fast/well handling and stylish.
    Supercars - Way out of my pricerange, very fast/great handling and stylish.
    Hypercars - I'll have one... In my dreams, mentally fast/will probably kill you and styled again and again until it looks like it's meant in a comic/on a track.

Like you, I don't mind if people disagree, every one to their own.
    That's how I've always seen it, though.

Ah.... I see what's going on here, your "hypercar" is my "supercar", that makes sense!!

Sean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

J) Countach
    unkel wrote: »
    I'm with rabbitinlights on this one. You can have all the price, handling, prestige, speed and luxury you want, but if you can only manage 0-100km/h in 5 seconds these days, you're not a supercar.

These days. In a debate about the greatest supercar ever would there not be a valid argument that the acceleration and power should be judged in comparison to the time the car was released?

Also, a 0-60 time might not be a good indicator of mid range acceleration(60-150) which would be the dominant speed range on the track which is what these cars were designed for. It just seems to be a primary point when arguing about cars while ignoring all the other factors.

Advertisement