Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Run Smoker, Run!

• 14-04-2010 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

stats

23 years old,
    smoker,
    pizza eater,
    coffee drinker.
    I don't weigh that much but for some reason my stomach sticks out...
    I'm about 5 foot 6

background
    I went for a run this morning, 1.54 miles in 12 minutes. My dad says that's very good for someone of my... situation.

need help
    Guys I've lurked this forum a lot and have seen some great advice and achievements.
    I need to get a schedule together that is suited to me (lean, but extremely unfit).

Can fitness be achieved as a smoker or will they have to go out the window now. (i know the answer just want someone to say it's ok to smoke and run.

Can anyone give me some specific advice on how far I should run and how often etc. best things to eat/drink. etc

it has started
    My first run today, 1.54 miles in ~12 minutes. Legs/ankles especially were the worst, breathing was ok, everything else felt fine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Start with the couch to 5k (the free Robert Ullrey podcasts are handy)
    Throw out the smokes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

I started out exactly like you (minus the smokes) in 2007 and did 1.43 miles in 12 minutes for my first run and nearly died.

I would run 3-4 times a week at the start, gradually increasing the distance (10% per week max). When you can run 5 miles comfortably then enter a race and get a program.

You know that you need to ditch the fags :). Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I started running last year with the goal/intention of running the Dublin City Marathon, but in reality I was just doing it to help me stop smoking.

I knew if I had a goal and was running regularly I would find it easier to quit (I had failed at quitting 7 or 8 times before). To be honest I had no problems quitting this time, the running gave me a great distraction and once I was running 3 or 4 times a week, the last thing i wanted was a smoke because i knew it would affect my times and training.

So my advice would be set yourself a long-ish term Goal (both in terms of race and time you would like to achieve)- , start training for it and use it as a way to quit the smokes. You will never look back!!

And best of Luck!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

As you get fitter you'll probably start cutting down on the smokes anyway it will, most likely, get easier to give them up. Good luck with the training and the quitting(you ARE quitting smoking :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Unfortunately, the smokes will have to go. Over time, your legs will become more conditioned, and the next thing to limit progress will be your cardio system (heart, lungs, etc). The smokes will also inhibit your recovery. Best to chuck them. I've struggled for a long time with the smokes, and it's the running, and the motivation to do better that keeps me off them for long periods of time. I still reward myself occasionally, but I shouldn't. It's dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Giving up the fags is the biggest single improvement you can make to your health, bigger than starting to run, or give up drinking, or cutting out crap food, or anything. At least that's what I was told by a medical type person.
    Reformed smokers (like me) are the worst for preaching, but they're unsociable, unhealthy, expensive, and they stink. Get yourself some form of nicotine replacement and stick the fags in the bin.
    Best of luck with the running.
    I'm off them since August '09 when I started this exercise stuff - it's great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Thanks for the support so far. I'm actually gonna go out and have a smoke now :P
    but I can definitely see me cutting them out as my running gets more structured.

The couch to 5k is interesting but it seems just a little too light. I know i shouldn't do the run I did today each time but there's slightly too much walking in the couch to 5k.

After my run today I wasn't dying or anything, my legs were just a bit sore. So if the legs are the first thing I want to improve, what are people's opinions on the couch to 5k?

EDIT: In a half-hearted defense of smoking - Easy Company in world war 2 were probably the fittest soldiers in the war and they smoked. But as my bro pointed out to me, so did everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well, you could start 2 or 3 weeks in to the couch25k if that suits you better. Against that, the most important things at this stage are to be consistent in your running, and to learn to run slowly enough that you can run the time without breaks. Jump ahead too much and you might strain something and have to stop for a few weeks, or not be able to pace yourself through the longer runs. It's up to you really, you have to judge for yourself how well you can handle it.

And really, as another preachy reformed smoker, the sooner you stop the better. I think they've taken Zyban off the market (that's what I used), the next best thing I found was the Allen Carr book.

Yea, maybe I sold myself a tiny bit short. I ran the 1.54 miles today non-stop, slowing to a jog at points but a sprint at the end when I could see my house.

You're right about the possibility of injuries if I kept that up, so I will try to take it slow and maybe I will use couch to 5k and just start a few weeks in instead.

On a side note, my dad gave me a stop watch and I was pressing 'start' and 'stop' and I could just see the addictive nature of running consistently and trying to beat times etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's better to follow an easier program and add miles in, then it is to follow a tougher program and drop miles because you can't complete them, or worse, suffer injury. Start with the c25k, and if you don't feel the need to walk, jog comfortably. Then move onto a 10k program, and sign up for a 10k race.

• Advertisement

k :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Smoking's gotta go - can't really see how you can make progress without give them up. I'm a bit reluctant to suggest this as it is expensive - and I don't know that it works for everyone ... but what worked for me (about 5-6 years ago) was a product called SmokeAway - it is a homeopathic program (I never really listened to the CD and that nonsense). I combined this with substituing in a fake cigarette ( Bravo was the name I think - tasted awful) every second time. Worked for me and the guy who recommended it to me.
    Good luck.

PS. Just re read your OP ....at 23 there are things you can get away with that you just won't be able to do in 10 years - trust me on this !

Yup, smoking has got to go. Did week 4 of the couch to 5k and it knocked the stuffing out me. Couldn't breath and my ankles felt real sore again - I think there is some sorta misalignment.

EDIT: Just had a smoke... long way to go!

Advertisement