Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia GPS software best suited for cycling?

• 14-04-2010 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone using a Nokia to track their cycling? What are you using? Nokia Sports Tracker? Cealogs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i use sportsracker all the time on a nokia e66 ( i personally think its a very underrated peice of software)
    normally export the kml from the website (seems to work better than off the phone)
    i do have a data contaract though

5 hour ride only knocks two bars off the battery

did some screen shots in this post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64476214&postcount=10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

I use sportstracker on my n95 with an external GPS rather than the built-in GPS. I compared my data to a friend who has a Garmin after we did a spin together and noticed that the Garmin was better at detecting changes in elevation than the nokia/sportstracker combination. The sportstracker is very good at calculating average speed but not current speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ok I've got sports tracker working. I'll see what the commute home gives me. Should be dire, I'm only back cycling after months off the bike. Legs are mush today. I'm using a E71. never used the GPS on it before.

GlennaMaddy - Why do you use an external GPS? Is it better than the internal one?

Thanks for the info btw...

i just start new and stick it my back pocket - think the n95 might have had gps reception issues, just dont bury it at the bottom of a bag the gps receiver might not like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

has anyone mounted their phone to their handlebars. have a n900 and would love to have the maps open in front of me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's really good and free but I don't use it anymore after destroying my previous phone on a wet spin, I just bring a crappy phone with me now. Here's an example of the last spin I recorded with it. It has a tendancy to lose you and not correct itself but you can edit this later at home.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭jautukas87

funkyjebus wrote: »
    has anyone mounted their phone to their handlebars. have a n900 and would love to have the maps open in front of me.

Something like this: (don't have it myself (yet) ).

13555.jpg

Also use nokia sportstracker with n82, just put it in the back pocket.

EDIT:
    It's really good and free but I don't use it anymore after destroying my previous phone on a wet spin,...

I use plastic zip lock bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

@BostonB : I use an external GPS receiver becuase it's quicker to pick up a signal and I don't need to worry about the N95 slider (it's supposed to be in the open position for best reception). It also means I can put the phone somewhere safe (I'll leave that to your imagination :P).

It's really good and free but I don't use it anymore after destroying my previous phone on a wet spin

i use normal sandwich bags ziploc would be better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I had issues with my Nokia N95 on the bike. Sometimes it worked well, sometimes it would lose GPS signal for half the ride. I put it down to an issue with the phone at the time, but it could have been due to its position in my pocket as it may have moved about during the ride. I found SportsTracker very good when I used it.

As regards protecting the phone from rain, I use these all the time on the bike. The plastic is very robust and as they have a double zip-lock seal to keep liquids in they are excellent at keeping rain out. The size is perfect for a cycling jersey pocket too - for example you can fit two spare tubes plus levers snugly in a single bag, which helps leave space in the same jersey pocket for other stuff. They provide far better weather proofing than anything else I have tried.

...and yes, they are actually intended for storing breast milk but you don't have to bring a baby on the bike with you unless you really want to.

• Advertisement

doozerie, mine used to lose it at one point until the last software update now it hasnt done it since

The E71 is slim enough to slip in a pocket. On wet days its in the pannier bag. I'll give it a whirl. Its not for serious use just me mucking about. I guess I'll know in a day or two if the GPS on it is any good.

Well that didn't work, all I got was the time. Also it won't upload to the service either. Nokia stuff is so awkward. I might wipe and update the firmware on the phone. Then retry it.

when you start it, it says gps fix ok, also try updating the software options >> check for update (tends to need a decent signal for that)

Finally got Sports Tracker and endomondo working. You can run both at the same time! Worked on the Train yesterday.

yep i go into the mapping software if i want to know where i am, doesnt seem to upset sporttracker while i'm in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

for sports tracker users:

Anyone using it on a n86? I have never been able to get maps to appear correctly (could on my n85). I have used various combinations of maps versions and ST versions..

I updated the firmware on my E71 and then it seemed to work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

It's really good and free but I don't use it anymore after destroying my previous phone on a wet spin, I just bring a crappy phone with me now. Here's an example of the last spin I recorded with it. It has a tendancy to lose you and not correct itself but you can edit this later at home.

Max speed 149kmh!!!!

Advertisement