Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips on taking photos of a car

• 14-04-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Right a friend of mine bought a lovely car recently and has asked me to take some pics of it. I told him I would drop around at the weekend and take a few snaps for him. Is there any tips anyone has for taking a good pic of a car and maybe some good ideas for post pic work in photoshop.

I have a Canon 450D with standard lens and Adobe PS CS4 and Lightroom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Where you photograph the car will be important, especially the background and area.

Find a good location. That's your first task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

& second, get a polarizing filter to remove glare / reflections.

After that its down to personal preference. I like using a wide angle lens and getting nice and low. But flicking through any decent car magazine / website will give you 100's of ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭toe_knee

I have a polarizing lens so thats one thing off the list. Good location......will have to tink about that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Simple suggestion;

Clean car, grubby car park for free lights, camera on tripod at f8 or so and a 4-5 second exposure to pick up available lights and make car pop. It will also give nice reflections like below (ignore what I said above about CP filter!)

4062158629_640e0c64cb.jpg 4061957961_199b56fa93.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

toe_knee wrote: »
    Right a friend of mine bought a lovely car recently and has asked me to take some pics of it.

Lovely probably means nice and shiny. The lovelier it is, the more tricky it will be. Be careful not to overexpose in direct sunlight. Save the images as raw rather than JPEG. This will give you a greater chance of correcting any exposure errors. Take a good few shots and if in doubt, use exposure bracketing.

Bring a tripod for low light conditions or if you want a wide DOF. Most importantly, bring a few scantily clad models to sit on the bonnet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

hbr wrote: »
    . Most importantly, bring a few scantily clad models to sit on the bonnet.

Works for me

370FF97F67854450B1FC7E8F3ACCD893-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Lads, thanks for the advice. I now have a location in my head very similar to the car park in the post above by Longshanks. Now to work on the girls ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Forget such girls, unless you are about to shoot a pimp-mobile :p

Advertisement