Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT test question.

• 14-04-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting an NCT test done for my car to find out what's wrong with it and what all I need to get fixed.

Now I've already got NCT till 03/11 but if I get an NCT test now and if the car fails it, would that cancel the NCT I already have on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

No it wouldnt.
    But you can only NCT the car within 3 months of the expiry date (or within 6 months of the eligible date if its the car's first NCT test), ie not before january 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

As far as I know you won't be able to get it tested till at least 3 months before the current test runs out.

Can you not ask a mechanic to check it out if you've a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

So I can't take it for a test now just to find all what all works needs to be done on it...

All the mechanics I've been too so far have been fairly lousy or expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

I wouldn't be depending on the nct to properly check your car,I've seen some absolute heaps pass the nct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

how about getting the AA or similar to do a check?like they do for people buying cars...

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    how about getting the AA or similar to do a check?like they do for people buying cars...

Thats 350eur for that...
    Not worth it imo... I could get new front suspension for that much.

It is true that NCT would give the car a generic once over at good price but it is not by any means a perfect health check for your car.

OP, let's turn the situation upside down: Do you have a reason to suspect that something's wrong with the car? If so give us some symptoms and make/model and maybe we can virtually fix it for you.

For an example: Does the brake pedal feel solid? Does the car pull towards the ditch under heavy braking? Do the brake discs have a big ridge on them indicating wear on them? Also inspect the brake pads visually for wear. When new they should have something like 10 mm of friction material and should be changed at the latest when worn down to a couple of mills. Does the handbrake keep the car stationary when parked on slope etc. etc. NCT tests for function of braking system but e.g. the brake pads could be a hairs' width from worn out without affecting their performance.

Any noises from suspension? Any lurches and walloping? If the engine feels sluggish or has high petrol consumption is should be plugged in to check for fault codes.

The list goes on and on.

Advertisement