Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM

Options
  • 14-04-2010 1:04pm
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There's a new XCOM game in development by 2K (not by Ken Levine - still wondering what he's up to) which is great news except its not turn based strategy, rather an FPS. Now maybe if there's the same kind of strategy elements, with just the turn based tactical game replaced with some kind of FPS equivalent, it could still be great.

I think though this has gaming heritage rape written all over it.

http://www.xcom.com/xcom.html

http://www.xcom.com/img/screenshot_01_xl.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wasn't there already an FPS XCOM game called infiltrator that was also ****e?

Pity it's not turn based, I'd love to see one in the old vein even if it's just a downloadable title. I've still yet to experience the series but have been told that I really should.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Yeah they made a 3rd person shooter around a decade ago...twas fairly rubbish.

But even saying that, I doubt a modern version of the old Xcoms would be as great. Just look at the glut of similar games on the market (the UFO series, that Extraterrestrials game, several other fan made projects) and how they never live up.

Oh well, will wait till more is announced before passing final judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

They should make a new xcom game for the psp, and use the same sort of game design as apocalypse.
    There are a few really good team-based tactical games for the psp that show it's suitable: FF Tactics, LoTR Tactics [underrated], Warhammer 40000 Squad Command [really underrated, only bad thing I found was it was a bit short], Disgaea.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Its a shame that turn-based strategy games are so neglected these days. Panzer General, Battle Isle, those WH40k ones etc. were all brilliant. A lot of the ones that have been released of late are from smaller developers and tend to be a bit too hardcore.

At least there's the new Jagged Alliance in development, not to mention Civ 5 later this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At least we have Valkyria Chronicles and other JRPG games. Pity that the western turn based games have become so rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I'd love to see an updated Star Trek: Birth of The Federation.

Has anyone tried Combat Mission: Shock Force?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Dont forget any of the advance wars games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

What made Xcom great was the feeling of advancement when you research a new weapon or build a new suit. Most of the games you guys listed have a very basic advancement system, usually tied to the level you just defeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    What made Xcom great was the feeling of advancement when you research a new weapon or build a new suit. Most of the games you guys listed have a very basic advancement system, usually tied to the level you just defeated.
    That's very true. Xcom always felt like it was a desperate struggle and each new research item made you breath a sigh of relief as opposed to just thnking "cool, I've got a new weapon to play with".

And, maybe I'm just more pathetic than I thought, but I liked the lack of any major narrative as it let me create one myself. I used to give all the characters backstory and made them act like I thought they should.

I also ran a "no man left behind" policy. No matter how badly I was being beaten, I'd always try and rescue all the downed soldiers. Semper Fi!

I guess you have to realise that I was bullied a lot as a child. Possibly because I did weird **** like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

My predictions... twill be shíte. An FPS X-Com will be nothing more than another generic Space Marine kills alien snorefest.

What I want is a HD sprite version of the originals, with no game mechanic tweaking. Maybe some additional weapons, enemies and buildings (oh another barn and hay field in the middle of China, how strange :D)

The advancements in weapons and technology meant the game was always changing. I remember it being incredibly difficult in the original infiltrating those 4 story spaceships from the bottom elevators. But later in the game I developed those guided RPG's and hover suits and was able to blow holes in the upper decks and move squads in on multiple floors in the same go.

I actually have "UFO: Extraterrestials - Gold Edition" on the back burner. Has anyone played it? I've heard it's supposed to be good for fans of the original series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I still play the originals. The tension when you send your poorly armed folks out into unknown territory, or when you finally end your turn and hope to Christ that nobody gets shot before the next round, has yet to be matched as far as I'm concerned. Trying so desperately to research tech because you're almost always outclassed, living in terror of that bloody mind control, these are things of legend.

A FPS might work, if that atmosphere could be recreated. Something without that hide-for-a-while-and-your-health-comes-back rubbish. A bitch-hard game. Darkness, ambushes, strategy and having to listen to other squad members get scared, panic and die in a hail of plasma.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Polar101

Sarky wrote: »

A FPS might work, if that atmosphere could be recreated. Something without that hide-for-a-while-and-your-health-comes-back rubbish. A bitch-hard game. Darkness, ambushes, strategy and having to listen to other squad members get scared, panic and die in a hail of plasma.

What? Franz Vogel was never scared, and if there was darkness or ambushes ahead - his trusty missile launcher solved the problem.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Did you play the last Battle Isle game max? It was absolutely fantastic it still looks decent to this day. Not to mention the brilliant Incubation series.

I remember 3 or 4 BI games, No. 2 was my favorite. I think the last one was kind of 3d - The Andosia War or something like that (ran like a pig on the PC I had at the time). Incubation was great as well but I had problems getting it to work. Only remember one of those games though. Were there sequels?

I wish they would revive the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭extrinzic

XCOM FPS (Shakes head) ... some people just don't know a good thing until it's too late. Once this thing gets established as an FPS, its all over for this IP, period. You never know though, we might just get what we wish for. If it's a good idea, it's a good idea to do it. http://kotaku.com/5518361/another-new-x+com-game-and-its-not-a-shooter :D

extrinzic wrote: »
    XCOM FPS (Shakes head) ... some people just don't know a good thing until it's too late. Once this thing gets established as an FPS, its all over for this IP, period. You never know though, we might just get what we wish for. If it's a good idea, it's a good idea to do it. http://kotaku.com/5518361/another-new-x+com-game-and-its-not-a-shooter :D

That's what happens. Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six. Both raped horribly. The list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

The X-COM shooter was enforcer, bad one the same lines as Firewarrior. The other FPS game they had lined up for it seemed to be pretty decent, Alliance. You had all the usual stuff except your in a ship with limited crew members and resources and deep in alien space so it involved a mobile base, boarding alien ships and launching raids in alien installations along side the all important base management and research.

The main thing to take from this is that 2k Marin is two studios, Novato, California and Canberra, Australia with the Australia side taking a larger role in making this x-com game. 2k Australia was the studio that made Tribes: Vengance. It kinda looked like tribes.... but wasn't. This might be x-com... but not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

They released a ground breaking game years and years ago.. all the sequels had nothing on the original.. yet just the name alone is so strong they could probably sell a platform game on it.

Like the Aliens franchise, it will probably be another piece of crap.

Some more details are out for it

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/first-xcom-details-make-contact

After reading it all I can think of is "Bioshock outside?"
    Elerium can be taken to the FBI base and used by inventor Malcolm Quinn to make more wacky weaponry and equipment. This is the only sniff of an upgrade system the preview offered. Carter will be equipped with a camera, however, the pictures from which can be used to research enemies and create weapons and strategies from.

Elerium may as well be Adam tbh and a camera? WTF? Perhaps the sequel they make of this will have a video camera instead.....

Also Wacky weaponry! Awesome! :/

From the trailer it's Bioshock: XCOM. Look at that wacky electric gun! It looks like it was made by someone from under the sea....

http://ie.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/14252327/x-com-project/videos/e32010_xcom_e3trailer_60910.html;jsessionid=gcnqfh0a4v4n

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Not very impressed by the trailer tbh. Such a pity the licence didn't go to a better software developer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

I had so much respect for 2k up till now - thanks for repeating the rape of my favourite franchise guys :(

There looks to be nothing between this game and X-COM, at all? ffs, it looks like the guy is fighting mutated sewage :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Not impressed at all/ :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Can anyone suggest any modern Turn based games that
    are good ??

I Adored Turn Based Strat games.

UFO being my favourite, Terror from the Deep was only OK
    and from then on they got a little ****.

Incubation series were fantastic games also.

Was not into warhammer but their turn based ones were great but they tended to crash on my PC a lot.

Jagged alliance were fantastic also, I still have Jagged alliance 2.

There was some other game that was good too, cant remember the same of it, WWII based where you could get into exoskelatons later on in game (which were crap)
    it had LOTS of bugs but was great.

A new modern version of jagged alliance would be excellent. and I would probably buy an XCOM game still.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

bullets wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest any modern Turn based games that
    are good ??

I Adored Turn Based Strat games.

UFO being my favourite, Terror from the Deep was only OK
    and from then on they got a little ****.

Incubation series were fantastic games also.

Was not into warhammer but their turn based ones were great but they tended to crash on my PC a lot.

Jagged alliance were fantastic also, I still have Jagged alliance 2.

There was some other game that was good too, cant remember the same of it, WWII based where you could get into exoskelatons later on in game (which were crap)
    it had LOTS of bugs but was great.

A new modern version of jagged alliance would be excellent. and I would probably buy an XCOM game still.

~B
    That was Silent Storm you were thinking of. A cracker of a game.

I don't know of any more recent turn-based squad games. There's a Jagged Alliance 3 in the works, but I don't know if it's on hold/cancelled or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

humanji wrote: »
    That was Silent Storm you were thinking of. A cracker of a game.

I don't know of any more recent turn-based squad games. There's a Jagged Alliance 3 in the works, but I don't know if it's on hold/cancelled or not.

That was the one Silent Storm, with destructable environment. when no enemy's in range was free-roaming and one you spotted an enemy went to turn based. Great game but had horrid ingame egg timer cursors that sometimes jammed and crashed the game, and also sucked up CPU and Memory resources. I tried patching at the time but it made little difference.

Jagged alliance 3 there has been talk for years but I doubt
    it will ever surface (would love if it did)

There was a more modern version of XCOM that was available a few years back that worked on Windows XP that
    mimics the later Xcom series games, but it had frequent chrashes and issues, I downloaded/played it last year
    or maybe it was the year before and it brought back nice memories.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I actually quite enjoyed this : http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/News

Advertisement