Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NASA Scrambles To Fix ISS Cooling System

Options
  • 14-04-2010 1:05pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. --
    NASA is scrambling Wednesday to find a fix for a major problem on board the International Space Station.

The cooling system the astronauts just installed does not work.

If crews don't fix it by the end of their mission, the ISS could overheat forcing them to shut down most electronics.

Also Wednesday, the Space Coast getting ready for President Barack Obama visit Thursday.

He will announce his future plans for NASA which include creating 2,500 jobs and increasing NASA's budget by $6 billion.

The President also wants NASA to build a new space ship called Orion, similar to the Apollo capsule. And he will direct NASA to build a heavy-lift rocket for carrying large payloads for deep-space exploration.

President Obama arrives at the Space Coast early Thursday afternoon.

All this comes just as the Shuttle program is retiring. There are only three shuttle launches remaining.

source

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Dyflin wrote: »
    That's one to watch. Hopefull they can get a workaround as they often do. I think the report is a little overhyped. The problem is not quite that serious at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

bit more info here
    CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — Flight controllers struggled Wednesday to open a stuck valve in a cooling loop at the International Space Station, as the 13 orbiting astronauts enjoyed a little time off after an intense week of hauling supplies and swapping tanks.

The ground controllers tried twice, without success, to command the nitrogen valve by remote control to open. They were debating their next step.

The nitrogen valve failed to open Tuesday after spacewalking astronauts hooked up a new ammonia tank. Nitrogen is needed to pressurize the ammonia coolant.

For now, the space station is being cooled properly. But the valve needs to be opened in the coming days — or the entire nitrogen unit replaced in a spacewalk. Otherwise, half of the station's electronics may have to be turned off.

Any spacewalk repairs would wait until space shuttle Discovery is gone. Discovery and its seven astronauts are due to leave Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

They're already discussing the possibility of a 4th EVA,they have until tomorrow to decide if they want to do it and extend the mission by another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

lord lucan wrote: »
    They're already discussing the possibility of a 4th EVA,they have until tomorrow to decide if they want to do it and extend the mission by another day.

How about extending the whole programme :D Another 3/5 WOULD BE NICE !:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

They have decided against the 4th EVA and the exta day docked. Discovery's astronauts disapointed I'm sure:)

• Advertisement

Stargate wrote: »
    How about extending the whole programme :D Another 3/5 WOULD BE NICE !:D
    I like your thinking:D A few failures a year that require the Shuttle to bring up replacements would do just nicely:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Beeker wrote: »
    I like your thinking:D A few failures a year that require the Shuttle to bring up replacements would do just nicely:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D

How about extending the whole programme :D Another 3/5 " YEARS " WOULD BE NICE !:D

I meant years lol

I meant years lol
    Decades would be even better:D

I think poor Leo is really pi$$ed off , hope he has Calsberg handy ?:eek:

• Advertisement

I think poor Leo is really pi$$ed off , hope he has Calsberg handy ?:eek:

Hardcore,where's the Vodka?:eek:

Todays the pits really Leo , we saw it coming , heaven knows how it will feel when the last shuttle lands , tough times ahead , we are passionate about ALL THE SHUTTLES , todays a heartbreaker for sure :confused:

Todays the pits really Leo , we saw it coming , heaven knows how it will feel when the last shuttle lands , tough times ahead , we are passionate about ALL THE SHUTTLES , todays a heartbreaker for sure :confused:

Any of us could be in Space before the next American Astronauts venture in to space(ISS visits excepted) if Bransons Virgin Galactic takes off and comes down in price!!:eek::eek::eek:

Any of us could be in Space before the next American Astronauts venture in to space(ISS visits excepted) if Bransons Virgin Galactic takes off and comes down in price!!:eek::eek::eek:

Like Beeker was saying , hes only short $ 49.999999999999999999999999 Million for HIS trip ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Awwwww LL, Vodka matter with You?

excuse Me Russian i Moscow.

ynotdu wrote: »
    Awwwww LL, Vodka matter with You?

excuse Me Russian i Moscow.

ynotdu bring back MIR , thats what i say :rolleyes:

Advertisement