Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup tickets go on sale....at the supermarket

• 14-04-2010 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

500,000 tickets unsold and FIFA finally has a bright idea.

Obviously this is what happens if you stage such a huge event in a basicly poor country along way from the "west" in which the richest (the white population) tend to follow different sports.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

As long as those annoying Vivuzela horns are banned, I could not care less where tickets are sold, or indeed, how little are sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They should just hold it in Germany every 4 years. That was awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

god what a ****e organisation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Headshot wrote: »
    god what a ****e organisation

Don't think FIFA can be blamed for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

JPA wrote: »

cant be always blaming the boogie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

JPA wrote: »

Can only blame FIFA for this, they were warned years ago this would happen. Tickets were priced way above what ordinary working class SA's can afford, now its only the more "unattractive" tickets that are left.These are the ones that they expect the poorer fdans to buy.

Its the equivalent of charging £80 for a ticket for an All Ireland final back in the 80's when tickest cost £8-15 and when nobody had a visa card.

Warnings were given, they were ignored, typical FIFA attitude of stick the head in the sand, and this is the mess they are now in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

They made a mess of this when they let SA host to begin with.. in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Milk
    Bread
    Ham
    Cheese
    Rizlas
    North Korea - Brazil tickets
    Credit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

gimmick wrote: »
    As long as those annoying Vivuzela horns are banned, I could not care less where tickets are sold, or indeed, how little are sold.

I'm fairly sure they'll be there.

I was playing the demo of FIFA World Cup 2010 on Xbox the other day and you actually couldn't hear the in game commentary cos they put them in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If they are worried about half empty stadiums they could always just give the seats away in the week up to the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

They should just hold it in Germany every 4 years. That was awesome.
    wouldnt disagree. :D

And look at the balls that was the UEFA Champions league finals in Turkey and Greece. One in a stadium in the middle of nowhere with NO transport links AT ALL except taxis and the other in an athletics stadium that was not up to the security standards for handling uppidy soccer fans.

And Ukraine for the 2012 Euro championships? Christ. Thats no time away and they have nothing done, and were never likely to have in the first place anyhows.

And 2008 Euros bang in the centre of europe (=good) in stadiums so piddly small that only an albania vs georgia game was likely to accomodate the fans(=WTF?)

UEFA and FIFA simply want to distribute as many games and championships to as many unsuitable countries as possible without thought for the fans, just internal organisation politics and votes previously cast for el Presidente count!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Wouldnt be a first.

Korea and Japan had bucket loads of empty seats.

The main problem is that its too far away for europeans and its also a third world country for the most part with a insane murder rate.

The fact airlines and hotels have been colluding to rip off fans didnt help.

Europes biggest country Germany has handed back the majority of their allocation and nobody seems to have sold their full allocation.

I read most tickets have been bought in the United States!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,138 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dsmythy wrote: »
    If they are worried about half empty stadiums they could always just give the seats away in the week up to the match.

they will give them away if it comes to that - from reading the article, it looks like the Sth Africans have a culture of paying at the turnstile, rather than in advance - I'd be surprised if the games aren't pretty well attended one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Mad - still tickets available for every match bar the final. God I hope I win the Lotto tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Ticket sales aside, how FIFA didn't realise that there was in-elastic supply for flights to South Africa and just presumed that airlines were going to make sweeping changes to their scheduled flights is beyond me.

Their intention was noble hosting in Africa but poorly thought through in terms of how people were going to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Headshot wrote: »
    cant be always blaming the boogie

Indeed, the sunshine and the moonlight have been getting away with far too much for far too long while the poor boogie gets ridden roughshod!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Right so milk, bread, eggs and world cup tickets on the list for Tescos :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

mike65 wrote: »

Obviously this is what happens if you stage such a huge event in a basicly poor country along way from the "west" in which the richest (the white population) tend to follow different sports.

So are you suggesting that all world cups should be staged in the west and that FIFa should only consider countries where rich white folk are big football fans?? What an ignorant, thinly veiled racist post.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

So are you suggesting that all world cups should be staged in the west and that FIFa should only consider countries where rich white folk are big football fans?? What an ignorant, thinly veiled racist post.

I completely disagree with this post. Where is the ignorance? It's true that the white population are the richest in this country, and true that it's the poorer people in this country that are the football fans. And as for racist? Where does it once mention that anyone of any race is inferior?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I completely disagree with this post. Where is the ignorance? It's true that the white population are the richest in this country, and true that it's the poorer people in this country that are the football fans. And as for racist? Where does it once mention that anyone of any race is inferior?

It was a desperate reach for outrage.

• Advertisement

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    It was a desperate reach for outrage.

Ayre right you ar so:rolleyes:

The white population are the richest in the country?? What on earth do you mena by that??? The richest what? There are no poor whites in SA???

And i said 'THINLY VEILED' racist. I dont expect you to understand given the nature of your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

The white population are the richest in the country?? What on earth do you mena by that??? The richest what? There are no poor whites in SA???

And i said 'THINLY VEILED' racist. I dont expect you to understand given the nature of your post.
    TBH I kinda agree with coillte_bhoy abit there. I didnt see the need to put white people in bracket after richest people in the OP. what did it add apart from sterotyping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you can't differentiate between racist opinion and actual facts you should probably get off the internet.

Or are you going to tell me the white population in South Africa does not have a higher per capita income?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

If you can't differentiate between racist opinion and actual facts you should probably get off the internet.

Or are you going to tell me the white population in South Africa does not have a higher per capita income?

I see where you are coming from alright but let me just give an example that comes to mind;

For arguments sake lets say that it is a "FACT" that in Ireland less crimes are commited by caucasian people living here.
    So can I then say "people who don't commit crimes in ireland (i.e. the white population) are..etc"
    And if someone then said to me "you can't say that your generalising non white people to be the only ones to commit crime"
    Then my comeback is "look at the facts more non-whites commit crime"

That doesnt sound right to me, you dont need to say white people at all!
    I think this is similiar to your OP and our replies.

Anyway sorry being off topic etc.

Bad ticketing policy by fifa anyhoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Great idea.... Finally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All I'll say on this is that in (checks number) 53,558 posts I have never made a racist remark about anyone bar the Welsh and French! Whatsmore some Stormfront goon implied they knew where I lived one night on boards when some of them took umbrage at a thread that was less than complimentary towards them. Ah, those where the days, rough house fighting talk on the politics board. Never get away with that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Celtic fan in poor understanding of what constitutes bigotry shocker.:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Well if the behemoths of Pick 'n' Pay and Mr. Price can't sell them, there's no hope for anyone..

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    Celtic fan in poor understanding of what constitutes bigotry shocker.:pac:

Not this tired old canard agin. So tell me how as a Celtic fan i dont understand what constitutes bigotry??
    Really i'm all ears.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Not this tired old canard agin. So tell me how as a Celtic fan i dont understand what constitutes bigotry??
    Really i'm all ears.......

idiot.jpg

I've been to Celtic Park a quite a few times and the level of bigotry on display in the stands and around the ground on matchdays is overwhelming and undeniable.

I presume if/when you attend matches you get up on your high horse just like you overreacted to mike's innocent statement?

But this is miles off topic so I'll say no more.

Suffice to say that levels of ticket sales are making the current choice of location for the WC look a bit foolish.

flahavaj wrote: »
    idiot.jpg

I've been to Celtic Park a quite a few times and the level of bigotry on display in the stands and around the ground on matchdays is overwhelming and undeniable.

I presume if/when you attend matches you get up on your high horse just like you overreacted to mike's innocent statement?

But this is miles off topic so I'll say no more.

Suffice to say that levels of ticket sales are making the current choice of location for the WC look a bit foolish.

So posting a photo of a fan making a political point constitutes bigotry??? BTW i'm alnost certain that action was taken by the club against that fan and he was banned from CP. Also i have never encountered any bigotry around or inside cp. Maybe you mistake displays of support for various political issues as bigotry??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yeah seems to be a lot of interest in the Italians over there if vox pop on the radio was anything to go by. And looks as if Brazil will get big attendances as well

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Have they lowered the prices at all or are they still ignoring the fact that this is the biggest stumbling block to selling tickets?

Advertisement