Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring an Intercom

Options
  • 14-04-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am wiring an intercom and need some assistance.

I've wired the door station (it's a lyctel?, made by robus I think). Four wires for the comms - 1,2,3,4. + and - of 12 volts and a 'B' wire.

I've hooked up the + and - to the transformer, tested the voltage at the doorstation and it is correct.

At the only handstation I've wired the other five wires, 1,2,3,4 and B.

Everything is as it is in the wiring diagram, but when I press the button on the doorstation (which is illuminated correctly), the handstation doesn't buzz. When I pick up the handstation I can't hear any voice from the doorstation and vice versa. All I hear in either end is a buzzing.

I know if someone if pressing the button while the handset is to my ear as the buzzing changes while the button is pressed.

Anyone any ideas? I know it sounds like I've wired wires 1,2,3,4 and B incorrectly, but I've checked them 10 times!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

could u bring the hand station to the main intercom and connect it directly to it? ruling out the cable run from the equation. may be incorrect cable or if its a long run could be a joint in it somewhere if you didnt run it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Hello,

I am wiring an intercom and need some assistance.

I've wired the door station (it's a lyctel?, made by robus I think). Four wires for the comms - 1,2,3,4. + and - of 12 volts and a 'B' wire.

I've hooked up the + and - to the transformer, tested the voltage at the doorstation and it is correct.

At the only handstation I've wired the other five wires, 1,2,3,4 and B.

Everything is as it is in the wiring diagram, but when I press the button on the doorstation (which is illuminated correctly), the handstation doesn't buzz. When I pick up the handstation I can't hear any voice from the doorstation and vice versa. All I hear in either end is a buzzing.

I know if someone if pressing the button while the handset is to my ear as the buzzing changes while the button is pressed.

Anyone any ideas? I know it sounds like I've wired wires 1,2,3,4 and B incorrectly, but I've checked them 10 times!

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. It was due to the wiring, of the 8 cores, 7 of which I use - 1 was damaged.

Have the one handset working now.

I bought a second handset, looks identical, same make. Wired it all up (exact same wiring, 1 -> 4, S, B) but cannot wire it correctly.

WHen I have phone off hook, can hear nothing, when ON hook can hear noise from door station perfectly. Also, door bell chime doesn't work.

Only difference is where original handset had:

S
    B
    +
    _

This new one has DC-/+ marked beside 3 and 4.

I think 1 and 2 were the DC in the original phone. When I switch 1,2 with 3,4 I can get sound anyway.

So the manufacturer has switched 1 and 2 with 3 and 4 in the new model. That said, can't see why this would be an issue if I'm wiring them all correctly. Have tried every combination BTW.

Advertisement