Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SDL_image.dll

Options
  • 14-04-2010 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭

Formatted from Win 7 RC to Win 7 Retail.
    Had a project up and running on the RC. When I formatted to retail and Checked out the project I started getting SDL.dll could not be found, reinstalling the application may fix the problem errors. So following the guide here the error changed to SDL_image.dll could not be found.

The internet seems void of all SDL_image information.

The SDL example that the guide tells you to do throws up maybe 9 linker errors, but I didn't dwell too much on that as the error changed.

I copied sdl_image files into the directory set up by that tutorial, along side the SDL files. No dice.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Your post lacks important info...

What compiler/IDE are you using? Have you got the header and lib files for SDL and SDL_Image set up correctly with your compiler/IDE looking in the right place for them? Are you linking to SDL_Image.lib? Where have you put SDL_Image.dll?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Visual Studio 2005, fully updated.

As for setting up the compiler, that tutorial is pretty much all I've done, I didn't write the code I'm working on.

I haven't changed the project properties as it worked before.

SDL & SDL_image dlls directory:
    C:\LIB_SDL\SDL-1.2.14\lib\

Dunno if you're new to C++ and Visual Studio or not, these issues are quite common when setting up projects that use 3rd party libraries! It's a pain to get right initially but you get the hang of it!

Do you have some code saying:
    #pragma comment(lib, "sdl.lib")
    #pragma comment(lib, "sdl_main.lib")

If so, add
    #pragma comment(lib, "sdl_image.lib")

Where is SDL_Image.dll?

fasty wrote: »
    Dunno if you're new to C++ and Visual Studio or not, these issues are quite common when setting up projects that use 3rd party libraries! It's a pain to get right initially but you get the hang of it!

Do you have some code saying:
    #pragma comment(lib, "sdl.lib")
    #pragma comment(lib, "sdl_main.lib")

If so, add
    #pragma comment(lib, "sdl_image.lib")

Where is SDL_Image.dll?

Can't find the pragmas, but I shouldn't have to change any code if it worked before.

The SDL_image.dll is beside the SDL.dll in the directory C:\LIB_SDL\SDL-1.2.14\lib\

I have been coding for 4 years, I always hated this kind of thing. I just wanna code :mad::(

4 years! In C++?

Anyway...

Does it compile and link? If not, what are the errors?

If it does compile and link and you see DLL not found when trying to debug the program... Well did you put a copy of SDL_Image.dll into the debug directory?

• Advertisement

A 4 year games dev course, we covered all sorts, except this kind of thing...

It compiles and links there is both SDL and SDL_image in the debug folder.
    After a clean & build it is still giving that error.

Well, basically <your program>.exe, SDL.dll and SDL_Image.dll all need to be in the same folder for the program to run. OR, you need to put the location of SDL.dll and SDL_Image.dll into your path. The former is the easiest option.

Advertisement