Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voucher with use by date

Options
  • 14-04-2010 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Someone gave me a voucher for a sports centre for diving lessons that I've been meaning to use for months. Anyway I just realised that it was issued in December 2008 and says 'valid for 12 months'.

Are companies allowed to put an expiration date on vouchers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

dafunk wrote: »
    Hi,

Someone gave me a voucher for a sports centre for diving lessons that I've been meaning to use for months. Anyway I just realised that it was issued in December 2008 and says 'valid for 12 months'.

Are companies allowed to put an expiration date on vouchers?

Yes they are allowed to have a use by date, but if you call into them or phone them they may extend it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes they can. However, I always found there was no problem if you call them and explain the situation. Do it sooner rather than later as, in fairness, you have held on to the voucher for 16 months at this stage.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Expiry dates are a way of protecting the retailer from rising costs to deliver the same service. Most retailers / suppliers, providing the cost price to deliver the vouchers promise to the customer have not shot up dramatically, will extend it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Colin_M

Yeh, they are allowed do that. I agree with Srameen, give them a call. Before I had to pay a nominal €20 to "activitate" the voucher. A scam in its self but worth if the voucher is of significiant value.

Advertisement