Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help please

Options
  • 14-04-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I'm in Ireland at the moment, due to fly back Sunday the 18th. I sent off a letter last week to the Minister of Justice for permission to remain, as advised by my local garda station. As my time for leaving is quickly approaching, and I have only 2 days to hear back, is it legal for me to fly back to Chicago and just buy another ticket and fly to Shannon again the next day? I have enough funds, health insurance, and have never been in trouble here or in the United States. I just want to make sure that I am doing everything legally. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

You'll have to give more information.

What is your citizenship?

What kind of visa do you have?
    And for which country?

Why do you have to fly back on the 18th?

Are you currently moving for work?

Please expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sophie4187

I am a US citizen, on a 3 month visitors pass.. I don't require a visa to enter Ireland. I am leaving on the 18th because that is just before my 90 days is up. I applied for a permission to remain but haven't heard anything.

I don't work in IReland, as I am not permitted to. I just need a 3 month extension due to family and was told by my local garda to apply with the minister and that i should hear back within a week, which tomorrow will be a week and haven't heard anything and no one can help me on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

There shouldn't be any issue with this. However you will be questioned slightly more thoroughly at passport control. They will want to know why you are entering again so soon and what your intentions are.

As far as I know there is not a mandatory time where you must stay out of the country between entries however make sure you have any paperwork or evidence you can use to state why you are in the country again and why you have a reason to leave also.

Unless you get the phone call tomorrow, fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Why go all the way to chicago? Couldnt you just leave the EU? Like Switzerland or one of the scandanavian countries maybe?
    They dont need to know you've gone all the way to the US do they? they're only interested in your leaving the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Yea you just have to leave the EU I'd imagine. Although I'd go and talk to the Gardai again first, if you can go to the special immigration office they have (it's often separate, I know it is in Galway anyway) and they will have more of an idea of how to deal with those things.

I remember a friend of mine was in a similar situation and she went in and was really worried and ended up crying, the Garda just laughed at her and said "Don't be getting that worried about it you'll be fine". I think she overstayed but they pre-dated the letter cause it took so long to get.

Obviously I'm not suggesting you do this without specific advice from the Gardai but they are typically fairly understanding.

• Advertisement

Thank you everyone. The reason I would have been going to Chicago is because that was my original destination to get home.. I just wish I could get some help from garda or immigration on the phone. I talked to the superintendent at my local garda station and she told me I should hear back from the DOJ in about a week. Does anyone know if there's anyone I could talk to about giving me just a bit of time just until my letter comes in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

There is no-one that can give you "a bit of time". But if you have Irish relatives, maybe get them to contact their TDs and see if they can get an answer?

While it is not guaranteed, you more than likely will be let in for another 3 months if you leave the country for a day, especialy if you can show assets etc.

Just spoke with my local garda station superintendent again this morning. She said that since I had gotten a response from the DOJ stating my application was received and on it was a reference number, that I was allowed to stay until I receive the letter. She said the DOJ usually will make a decision within the time frame..

Silja, I'm from Arkansas as well :)

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement