Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Fantasy] Jordan's Island: What could we do with it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I would LOOOVE a botanical garden. I literally spent all summer in the Montreal one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

Could we cover it with an 'ethnic minority' that is beloved by the Greens and blow it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Would be a good place for a monkey knife fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

We should lodge a planning application to build a chemical storage & processing facility on he island - that should keep An Taisce busy for years.

When I first spotted the thread title I thought - Don't tell me they've made a new reality tv show with that bimbo on some bloody island. Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the other side of the bridge across the river from the college is a little spot for mooring boats. which club if any was there?

Is this just slightly below the bridge? A slipway and small pier. It doesn't belong to any club that I know of and the land it's built on is owned by the council.

I've never seen anyone leave from there, most people would slip from Steamers Quay over beside Eglinton Pier where the Corrib princess goes from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

+1

Or make it a bit more desirable to birds or something

Whoohooo... A nudists island:D

I wouldn't want to much done to it if anything at all.. As posted above, leave it for the wildlife...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Is this just slightly below the bridge? A slipway and small pier. It doesn't belong to any club that I know of and the land it's built on is owned by the council.

I've never seen anyone leave from there, most people would slip from Steamers Quay over beside Eglinton Pier where the Corrib princess goes from

i know no one leaves from there now. i am talking more fado fado. maybe a rowing club, which is now extinct, although it is not big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

Fuinseog wrote: »
    i know no one leaves from there now. i am talking more fado fado. maybe a rowing club, which is now extinct, although it is not big enough.

Nope, the rowing clubs in Galway are/were;

Royal Galway Yacht Club - now the NUIG film studies building on the canal

Corrib Rowing and Yachting Club - still in original position

Temperance Boat Club/ Ancient Order of Hibernian/ Galway Rowing Club
    amalgamated, all down in Woodquay

St. Josephs College 'Bish' - woodquay

Jes - across on University grounds

Commercial Boat Club - still in same spot

St. Patricks Boat Club - Woodquay

Tribesmen Rowing Club - Earls Island

UCG/NUIG Boat Club - Fisheries Field.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I know 'fantasy' is in the title, but in reality nothing will ever happen it because the Corrib is a SAC meaning it would be nigh on impossible to develop by the river side (So i've been told)

Also, you know that little hill on Jordans island? Well, that's muck from the river bed that was dumped there when the river was dredged years ago </useless fact>

It's a completely useless, boggy island really. It's also very shallow on the east side beside the bridge, you can wade accross

There are 2 of these little piers. One is at NUIG where the new Engineering building is (just down from Corrib Village) and the other is below the bridge on the east shore (as mentioned above)

It was built by the Franciscan Monks many years ago, and over the years was probably maintained by others. The one at NUIG is totally silted up, and the other one below the bridge is filled up with shopping trollies/general rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dubhghaillix

There's rumors that the Uni's considering building a Watersport Centre along the river and Jordan's Island might be considered as a site. Although I also heard that it's some sort of nature reserve and that they'll never get planning permission for it. It'd be a great location for a Watersport centre for rowing & kayaking though. It's a short walk from the college, right on the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dubhghaillix

There's rumors that the Uni's considering building a Watersport Centre along the river and Jordan's Island might be considered as a site. Although I also heard that it's some sort of nature reserve and that they'll never get planning permission for it. It'd be a great location for a Watersport centre for rowing & kayaking though. It's a short walk from the college, right on the river.

Great rumour alright, but it will remain forever just that... a rumour. It would be great to see something decent done with the island but with it being an SAC and all that I don't ever see anything happening there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Corrib Rowing and Yachting Club - still in original position

As far as I know, this was first near where the Galway Rowing Club is now, and moved to where it is now towards the end of the 19th Century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

Xiney wrote: »
    I would LOOOVE a botanical garden. I literally spent all summer in the Montreal one.

Pity you didn't stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Pity you didn't stay there.

Miaowww! Saucer of milk for catmelodian, please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JayMcD

churchview wrote: »
    As far as I know, this was first near where the Galway Rowing Club is now, and moved to where it is now towards the end of the 19th Century.

It was where the "Tribesmen" rowing club is, on the canal across from the college bar. moved to its current location at the end of 1800's.

Advertisement