Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr refuses to treat unmarried couple.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mmr

I really hope that this comes to nothing. I am being treated by Dr Boyle for a serious immune disorder. He is the only Dr in the country currently providing this treatment, it will be years before others in the medical profession start using low dose naltroxen. I am not married. I am living with my partner, he has stopped my disease and its progression and he is saving my life. He has never made any comment about my situation and is a compassionate and caring Dr.

He has a right to his freedom of conscience, and I hope the law upholds it. I realise that this has been unpleasant for the couple involved, but none of us have any right to go through life not being offended. This couple was not discriminated against. Its very clear on all of his literature for fertility treatment, and on his web-site; that he only deals with married couples. I have been seeing him for 6 years as a patient and it has always been this way. I am not receiving fertility treatment. There no stipulation as to whether the couple have being married in a church, a registery office, a hind binding ceremony or married before. They just need to be legally married. He believes its best for the child if parents are married as they have greater protection under the law and qualitatively as they go up. But that's a wider societal debate, and not one that can be decided by the courts based on an individual complaint. There are a many many doctors providing successful fertility treatments,they can go to any number of these. I find it odd, given the experience of friends and family who have been TTC, that this couple would waste so much time, money and energy going after Dr Boyle if all they want is to have a child together ? I do question their motives ? There is only one Dr that I can go to. The real question is, does their right "not to be offended " negate another's freedom of conscience; and is it greater then my right to live a pain free life, assuming i should no longer be able to receive treatment from Dr Boyle because he can no longer practise.?

I really hope it isn't. Its a brave new World.

What have the thought police got to say about my situation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

seamus wrote: »
    He should be crucified under the equal status act (no pun). Your personal morality has no bearing on what treatment you provide to your patients.

If you don't like that, don't be a doctor. It's a scientific discipline, not an art, you don't get do what you want based on your emotions.

While I personally disagree with his opinions, I still feel that he is entitled to decide who he treats or not based on his own morals/beliefs.

Afterall there are plenty of doctors who choose not to carry out abortions as it is against their beliefs. They don't stop the person from having one, generally will refer them elsewhere.

Same too with contraception.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just read through this thread and felt that I had to reply.

Dr Phil Boyle is the doctor responsible for us having our youngest two aswell as countless other people who have failed to have children through IVF etc like we did.

After 8 years of trying HE got us there twice in the space of 3 years.

The man is a genius when it comes to fertility treatment and whether you agree with his principles or not hes treated hundreds maybe thousands of couples.

Now with regards to the treatment--He does let it be known that hes strongly catholic but you dont have to go along with the whole catholic agenda when you are receiving treatment from him. We wernt even asked if we were married when we started treatment.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

kelle wrote: »
    If he refuses to treat patients who are unmarried because he has strong Catholic beliefs, then surely he shouldn't be carrying out IVF in the first place, because the Catholic church teaches that it is morally unacceptable!

Its not IVF--Its based on tracking the womans cycle.Not just in the "buy an ovulation kit" way but tracking it right down to the best day to concieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

He's the vag snot dr, as someone I know who has seen him calls him affectionatly.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    He's the vag snot dr, as someone I know who has seen him calls him affectionatly.

Brilliant ^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Dr Boyle is quite literally a miracle worker. He has helped people that noone else has been able to treat. If it was not for Dr Boyle my little boy would not be here.

Dr Boyle has to take a moral responsibility for any child he assists in coming into this world. In order to do this he only has statistics to go on.
    Statistics show that children from a married couple live a more stable life and this is what he tries to ensure for any child conceived by napro.

I fail to understand why people can't see this. It is not as simple as a religious belief. It is a life decision. He is not preventing them from having treatment anywhere else!

Advertisement