Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second crash in 4 days

• 14-04-2010 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

'Tis getting silly now.

Stacked it pretty hard on friday night - lost the front wheel out from under me on slippy luas tracks. Had my bike chain around me (over one shoulder, under the other armpit) and I landed on it, and I think I've cracked a rib or something. Not much bruising, but it hurts lots. But whatever, I figure, its on the right hand side so there's no danger to my heart, and I can breathe fine, so its just painkillers and back on the bike I go. I love riding my bike.

Fast-forward to yesterday, at the big junction where the bohemian pub is in phibsborough. Was sprinting away from the lights as they changed green, to get infront of everything else so as I wouldnt have to pull out into cars flying past me when parked cars pushed me out into them a hundred metres or so down the road. I'm up out of the saddle, really going for it when.. chain slips off the front chainring. Over I go, and how.. bent my bike up nicely, was a proper roly poly fall, griptape on top of the handle bars is shredded so the bike was upside down, and I've a chainring shaped (literally, it actually looks quite cool) graze on my *left* leg (not sure how that one happened)

Was more pissed off than anything, took myself and my bike into Rothar to use the first aid kit there and because I was aware I might be hurt worse than I realised after the adrenaline of the crash etc.

Got some nasty cuts to left hand, left elbow, left a good part of myself on the roads there. Bike is fixable, bent the handlebars somehow, chainring looks bent a touch too although not sure if thats a before or after type dealy.

Basically 1: F**KING OW!
    2: What the sh*t?! two crashes in 4 days, come ON! Not fair..

Annoyingly, I'd been total leisure cycling the whole rest of the day, had the bike in the 'easy' gears all day because it was so lovely and sunny I had no interest in going fast, was a total pleasure ride apart from that ONE set of lights where I know from experience its crucual to get out infront of everything and boss the lane.

Oh well.

Once I heal up I'll be back with a vengance....

Seriously how much does that suck though, eh?

le sigh..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Very sorry to hear that.

I hope you get better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

thanks

Also, inb4 "get a fixie.."

;)

SubLuminal wrote: »
    thanks

Also, inb4 "get a fixie.."

;)

I ride a fixie most days on my commute. I actually head out by Phibsboro also. Is that pub at the crossroads in Phibsboro?, I think it's known as Doyles Corner.

It may well have been that corner indeed. Its the one that leads past the church, onto Cabra Road which turns into New Cabra Road. It isn't very cycle friendly at all, you have to be a bit militant I find or you end up getting squeezed into some dangerous moves by passing traffic.

It may well have been that corner indeed. Its the one that leads past the church, onto Cabra Road which turns into New Cabra Road. It isn't very cycle friendly at all, you have to be a bit militant I find or you end up getting squeezed into some dangerous moves by passing traffic.

It can be a bit dodgy there alright. You have to just take the lane(s) there. The two lanes almost go into one for a few yards. I take a different route than you, I come up Whitworth Road and take a right by The Porterhouse.

• Advertisement

Vélo wrote: »
    You have to just take the lane(s) there

Aye. Sadly though, this time the lane took me!

What is it they say about soviet russia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Sorry to hear about your falls. Fair play to you for wanting to be up and at it again.

When I saw the title of your thread I immediately thought it was just random events clustering. (Random events have to cluster. If they didn't, they wouldn't be random.) However, had you perhaps damaged your bike more than you thought with your first fall?

Anyway, good luck to you. I hope you're well and back on the bike soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Aye. Sadly though, this time the lane took me!

What is it they say about soviet russia?

15cn1j8.png

HAHA YOU ARE RIGHT.

IN SOVIET RUSSIA - RIBS BREAK YOU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've found that I make the most mistakes in traffic when I'm pushing it. Case in point, I nearly sprinted into the middle of the Rathgar road junction this evening when my light was red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

just got back into cycling recently after a break of about 20 years. My biggest fear is the chain or pedals breaking when i'm out of the saddle. So i can't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭farrelli

Sorry to hear that, I had something similar happen to me in that I fell twice in two days and broke my hand in the second fall. Both were my fault although in the second I was cycling over very bumpy tarmac (council quick fix) and lost the front. Felt pretty sh*t alright, but its all good now. Best of luck with the recovery!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

For those cycling by Doyle's Corner this is a short cut:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=&msa=0&msid=105953078489976936384.0004843a75da641365284&ll=53.362718,-6.26931&spn=0.006146,0.021136&t=h&z=16
    It can be a bit dodgy there alright. You have to just take the lane(s) there. The two lanes almost go into one for a few yards.

Yeah, all along there has fairly bad road layout from a cyclist's point of view. But it's grand once you take the lane.

I take a different route than you, I come up Whitworth Road and take a right by The Porterhouse.

That sounds like a good bit of a detour if you're heading to/from town. Where are you going from/to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

monument wrote: »

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=&msa=0&msid=105953078489976936384.0004843a75da641365284&ll=53.362718,-6.26931&spn=0.006146,0.021136&t=h&z=16

Yeah, all along there has fairly bad road layout from a cyclist's point of view. But it's grand once you take the lane.

That sounds like a good bit of a detour if you're heading to/from town. Where are you going from/to?

Thats my route too. Just be careful as you come down the hill some eejit isn't speeding around by the Dakota apartments. Can be narrow with parked cars.

It's not a detour for me. I live in Ratoath and work in Dorset Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

It's not a detour for me. I live in Ratoath and work in Dorset Street.

Wow that's some cycle every day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Looking at that map, I'm intrigued by the existence of a road named "Royal Canal Bank" running for about 1 km perpendicular to the Royal Canal! Zooming in, I see there's a "George's Wharf" in the middle of it. It all looks like a linear park.

Ah, turns out to be the abandoned Broadstone line of the Royal Canal...

Tut-tut. There's no right turn from Royal Canal Bank on to Prospect Road. I certainly hope a Boardsie isn't breaking the ROTR;)

bryaner wrote: »
    Wow that's some cycle every day!

Most days, not everyday.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Tut-tut. There's no right turn from Royal Canal Bank on to Prospect Road. I certainly hope a Boardsie isn't breaking the ROTR;)

I was only suggesting using it towards town, however I do use it both ways.

But the no right turn rule is only for a limited amount of hours, and who could ever keep track of these things :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Looking at that map, I'm intrigued by the existence of a road named "Royal Canal Bank" running for about 1 km perpendicular to the Royal Canal! Zooming in, I see there's a "George's Wharf" in the middle of it. It all looks like a linear park.

Ah, turns out to be the abandoned Broadstone line of the Royal Canal...

It heads down to Blessington Street Basin, which of course is still there and quite a nice place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement