Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing course...

Options
  • 14-04-2010 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Ok so im looking to switch course, currently on a grant if that makes a difference.

What are my options if I:

1) Pass the current year
    2) Drop out for a year to do a PLC

I can't afford to pay tuition fees (not including registration which i will pay), and just want to know is there a way around it in my circumstances?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭xxzaraxx

heya if you want to take yr out and do something different then finish out this semester and then apply for a yr out. You can probably get this from your programme office and it wont affect your grant at all. Since you're getting a grant it would be wise to get this done as soon as possible. Make sure you've decided that you will actually return to the course after you take a year out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 katrina1997

I did my leaving cert this year, got a place in an institute but to be honest that institute is'nt great at all and while doing a research on different colleges and course I found a PLC course that I would really like to do.

can I change from an institute to the PLC college? and if so then how do I do that? do I just drop out and wait for a year or so to apply or....?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not sure what you mean by an Institute, do you mean an IT?
    If you are receiving a grant for your first year, you can complete the year and then go to your PLC, but you will not receive a grant for first year of any other course, so if following the PLC you wanted to pursue a degree, you would have to pay your own fees for the first year.

You could drop out now and forfeit the rest of the year's grant, but you would have to check that quickly with your college as i think there is a deadline beyond which it is not possible.

yes I'm in IT, and I'm not receiving a grant, do I wait to for the next year to apply or is there a way to transfere now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

yes I'm in IT, and I'm not receiving a grant, do I wait to for the next year to apply or is there a way to transfere now?

I doubt you can transfer into a PLC at this stage in the year (unless it's one of the privately run ones that run all year), but you should be able to leave the IT at any time you want. You will need to speak to the people in the registrations office of the college to do it properly.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I doubt you can transfer into a PLC at this stage in the year (unless it's one of the privately run ones that run all year), but you should be able to leave the IT at any time you want. You will need to speak to the people in the registrations office of the college to do it properly.

Talk to the registrations office in the college im in or to the college i want to apply, and if its to the college that i want to apply to can i not just fill out the application form?

Advertisement