Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I now officially hate UPC!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nutterguy

RangeR wrote: »
    Actually this link for magnet shows both the word unlimited [with FUP] and that they are the fastest residential provider in Ireland. I don't know of any other provider offering 50Mb. Fiber is good :)

Oh your right there, pity it's more like "Dublin's fastest broadband speeds" Fibre is only available in Dublin (oh & Meath & Laois). Hope it will be coming to Cork soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

RangeR wrote: »
    Actually this link for magnet shows both the word unlimited [with FUP] and that they are the fastest residential provider in Ireland. I don't know of any other provider offering 50Mb. Fiber is good :)

What about this crowd
    www.cablesurf.com
    They advertise as being able to provide 120Mb, 60Mb, and 30Mb.
    Though it is only in Dungarvan. (lucky feckers:()

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MysNthR0p3

techdiver wrote: »
    The UPC FUP does not state any specific usage limit.

Interesting to note that UPC blatantly advertise "no monthly usage cap" under their "conditions" of service on the website and refers to it acceptable use policy which states excessive use is "usage exceeding your monthly data transfer allowance". So where did this cap come from if its not documented in their own sources and everything that is documented negates any such cap?

Conditions (http://www.upc.ie/broadband/thirty/ - click on CONDITIONS tab (emphasis added))
    The Chorus ntl Fibre Power Broadband service is only available to enabled homes. Installation is carried out by a third party installer. Chorus ntl will not be responsible for the installation. A €20 equipment activation fee applies to all orders that are not placed online. Order online for free connection. A wireless router is included with the Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb and 30Mb packs. Equipment remains property of Chorus ntl. If a customer downgrades their 15Mb or 30Mb service within the first 4 months of installation they will be charged the €49.99 installation fee for the wireless router. All services are billed monthly and are payable by Direct Debit. A €3 charge applies to all bills for non-direct debit customers. A €15 Downgrade Administration Fee will be applied anytime you downgrade any element of your service. Subject to a minimum contract period of twelve months for all services. A cancellation fee will apply should you cancel your service during the first twelve months. Monthly data usage is capped at 40GB for Fibre Power Broadband 5Mb, there is no monthly usage cap for Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb or 30Mb. All broadband services are subject to our acceptable usage policy. Average expected broadband speeds at peak times are 5Mb, 15Mb and 30Mb. Broadband speeds are the maximum possible speeds only. Actual speeds will vary depending on internet traffic, the sites you visit and other factors. As our Fibre Power Broadband service is provided over the Chorus ntl TV cable you do not require an eircom landline to access this service. Prices include VAT. Residential use only. Savings based on equivalent services from eircom. eircom rates taken from www.eircom.ie. Information correct as at (12/09).

Acceptable Use Policy (http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/acceptableusagepolicy/ (emphasis added))
    Section 3: Data Transfer Allowances, Excessive Use and Other Limitations
    UPC broadband services are intended for normal recreational or educational use by individuals and families and our pricing and network architecture have been designed accordingly. The Services are strictly for residential use only - commercial use of any kind is prohibited. Customers who use the services more heavily than a normal home user will reduce the performance of the network for other customers.

Your monthly data transfer allowance depends upon which broadband package you have selected. The data transfer allowances for the various packages can be found at www.upc.ie. All monthly data transfer allowances refer to the cumulative amount of data uploaded and downloaded per month, unless otherwise specified in your particular package. For purposes of illustration only, 1 gigabyte downstream of data transfer equates to approximately 200 music tracks, 650 short videos, 10,000 pictures or around 100 large software programmes downloaded.

“Excessive use” of the Service is defined as usage exceeding your monthly data transfer allowance.

If you exceed your monthly data transfer allowance as determined by UPC, in our sole judgment, UPC may take any of the following actions, or any combination thereof:
    • Impose a charge of 3 cent per megabyte or part thereof for exceeding your data transfer limit; and/or
    • Upgrade your package to a package with a higher data transfer limit with the corresponding higher monthly fee; and/or
    • Downgrade your upload and download speed for a period of one month to dial-up speed, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or
    • Suspend your access to the services for one month, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or
    • Terminate your account as per the terms of the User Policy and UPC Terms and Conditions.

I'd be inclined to point this out to ComReg and have them investigate, assuming of course they're not under any "instructions" to leave big telecoms businesses alone lest the withdraw campaign funds. Of course that would never be an issue in our country where the government put the people first.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 R3laX

Actually on phone(still ringing them, to find out what is wrong with speed after 18.00 in Swords area), they told me that there is cap(at the very end of our conversation, I asked: Oh, and is there download limit? I was surprised to get answer: Yes, but don't worry You haven't exceeded it. :rolleyes: *I am sooo good :D ), but they didn't answer where exactly can I find it on their web, only thing was - 'log in into your account and there in fair use policy You can find'. Till that day, I even didn't have account on their web :P after creating it, I could not find anyway... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

What about this crowd
    www.cablesurf.com
    They advertise as being able to provide 120Mb, 60Mb, and 30Mb.
    Though it is only in Dungarvan. (lucky feckers:()

Yes, It's only Dungarvin. I know Magnet aren't National as such but Cable surf is VERY much closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

MysNthR0p3 wrote: »
    Interesting to note that UPC blatantly advertise "no monthly usage cap" under their "conditions" of service on the website and refers to it acceptable use policy which states excessive use is "usage exceeding your monthly data transfer allowance". So where did this cap come from if its not documented in their own sources and everything that is documented negates any such cap?

Welcome to boards and welcome to the UPC party. As you browse UPC website, contract, T's & C's and the AUP, you will find that they all contradict each other MANY times over. This is one of the main reasons many people have a problem with that company.

However, the ONLY one they can hold you up on is the contract YOU sign when you get broadband. Nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Lol. I knew there would be another thread about the cap. soon. Surprised there wasn't one last week.
    Anyways its pretty funny if ppl believe that UPC is losing sleep over losing people that are downloading 10's of gigabytes everyday but only want to pay the normal price.
    I can 100% guarantee you that UPC has no problems with letting heavy users go.
    All providers have a simple formula which is some low usage users (grandma checking emails), normal users <100GB/month and heavy users 200+GB. They want a the average as low as possible of course but it the ave. use is 100GB or so per month that is ok with them too.
    Now if all the 500GB/month users decide to go to Magnet as an example Magnets cost basis is gonna go way up and I am absolutely certain that sooner or later they will impose a cap too. No provider can afford to take on all the heavy users while having only a small low user base (grandma etc.)

As for the unlimited phrase I said and will say it again. Its absolutely bs. and I hope they get forced to change this as soon as possible. In 5 years I can't see this still being allowed.

Anyways see you all next week when the next guy discovers there is a cap.

rh5555 wrote: »
    Anyways see you all next week when the next guy discovers there is a cap.

Thanks for the support rh5555...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

rh5555 wrote: »
    As for the unlimited phrase I said and will say it again. Its absolutely bs. and I hope they get forced to change this as soon as possible. In 5 years I can't see this still being allowed.
    ISPs have been getting away with this since BT kicked us all off the "surf-no-limits" dial-up package in 2001.

http://electricnews.net/story/show/1537394

CiaranC wrote: »
    ISPs have been getting away with this since BT kicked us all off the "surf-no-limits" dial-up package in 2001.

http://electricnews.net/story/show/1537394

See the thing is that I wouldn't mind so much if somewhere in the T's&C's on the website/brochure it said Unlimited=250Gb/month. But UPC clearly state there is no cap, when there clearly is a f-ing cap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement