Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

question about photographers outside courts?

• 14-04-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

say *hypothetically* someone was coming out of the courts, be they witness or jury more importantly, and the photographers take pictures of them leaving, will these end up in papers etc, and whats the legality of this?
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

/waits for PCPhoto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cailineile13

A lot of the time, the photographers there just take pictures of people walking into courts as they never know who might be who, ie you're the new witness in a big case that they can make some money outta the papers for.

It's also not unknown for some plaintiffs/defendants to have someone taking pictures of people to figure out who they are & why they're attending a certain case (ie Are they a reporter/potential witness/general nosey person!)

Hope that's of some help...as to whether they can legally publish photos of you without your permission, I don't know...

I would guess that publishing the names and photos of jurors as jurors would be a breech of due process.

Witnesses are reported in the paper no? So publishing their photos as witnesses should be ok. However, I am not sure of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭ianflynn

I would guess that publishing the names and photos of jurors as jurors would be a breech of due process.

Witnesses are reported in the paper no? So publishing their photos as witnesses should be ok. However, I am not sure of this.

Is it safe to post pictures of witnesses in newspapers though?
    I highly doubt it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

depends on usage, for editorial in context nearly anything goes eg man accused of murder picture used in paper with caption "man accused of murder"

You always see lots of pictures of accused/guilty in the papers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Courts are not a place for novices. Who and what you photograph is a mine-field, get it wrong and it can result in a case collapsing, Libel etc. Make sure you have Beefy insurance cover!
    Photography in a court house* (and technically it's environs) is not allowed.
    *Exception would be an empty court room with a Judge's permission.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Photography in a court house* (and technically it's environs) is not allowed.
    *Exception would be an empty court room with a Judge's permission.

Allowed in any court at any time with the standing judge's permission. Which only happens once in a blue moon. No photography, as well as no audio and video recording, are rules set and enforced by judges alone. But it is indeed a minefield, and these kind of things make it more so.

A photographer or photographer was recently allowed to take pics of judges and others at the last sitting of the Special Criminal Court in Green Street, before it moved to Parkgate Street.

Photo here: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1219/1224260978760.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭ianflynn

I meant from a photos getting taken of you perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

rules are that if they are on public property then its fair game to photograph them ...... but not to publish them UNLESS its in the interest of the public (ie. a witness can be important to a story, a juror cannot and will not be published as they are protected by law)

anyway - a picture can only be sent to the papers/will only be accepted by the papers ....if it is captioned correctly (meaning unless the photographer knows the name of the person and why they were at the court - they wont send it out to the papers)

I'm not at the CCJ .... based in the Four Courts - but the same procedure follows. (have been doing court photography for 6yrs now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It's also not unknown for some plaintiffs/defendants to have someone taking pictures of people to figure out who they are & why they're attending a certain case (ie Are they a reporter/potential witness/general nosey person!)
    Surely if it's a witness in a case involving the plaintiffs/defendants then they have their details already and have no need to take their picture to figure out who they are. It not like Matlock with surprise witnesses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement