Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my bitch in heat NOW...or getting close to it?

Options
  • 14-04-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Quick question. My 4 yr old Springer Spaniel bitch is due in heat this month. I want to breed from her as she has won at working tests and I have also run her in field trials and although she hasn't be placed, she has gotten through to the 2rd round in all 3 of her outings.
    On Monday I noticed she was swollen behind with a slight sticky clear/white discharge. No bleeding. She has bled in all her previous heat cycles. Is this swelling and discharge a sign that she is close to coming into season, or is she actually IN HEAT now.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is there any kind of smell from the discharge? If you've never seen this before, I'd be concerned about an infection. My girl developed pyometra after her last heat cycle which was a sticky whiteish discharge with a very metallic smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭LetFly

Hi Seamus,

No there is no smell from it and it is very very slight discharge...more like a dampness really. No blood specs at all.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It may just be a precursor so. I would bring her to the vet for peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

If she gets any symptoms, like lethargy and loss of appetite, or drinking alot of water, then I'd take her to the vet. But if not, then it might just be her coming on heat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Sounds like she is coming up to her heat to me, but I would give the vet a buzz and ask them to make sure. Worth it for the piece of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Sounds like she's coming into heat. It's worth remembering that as a bitch gets older and more experienced, she's better at keeping herself clean whilst in heat so there may be some blood there already but she's cleaning it off before you have a chance to see it. Check her bedding for blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How long is it since her last heat? do you know how often she comes in? if shes nearly 6 months then she could coming into season, esp if shes swollen etc.

The vet can do a pre mate test anyway to see if shes nearly ready to be mated. Its a simple test so i would advise that you get that done as at least then you will be able to mate ehr at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

andreac wrote: »
    The vet can do a pre mate test anyway to see if shes nearly ready to be mated. Its a simple test so i would advise that you get that done as at least then you will be able to mate ehr at the right time.

+1 on this, its just a quick blood test that measures the hormone levels, it is cheap enough and you can find out the results that day. We always used this when my dad bred our GSD, it saves the bitch being stressed and harrassed before she is ready to mate. It can also help prevent the stud from getting attacked by a bitch who is not completely ready to mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭LetFly

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. When I went home yesterday evening I checked her again and there is tiny bit of blood so she is definitely in heat. The discharge I talked about (or tried to) was more like a dampness than anything else. I am going to make an appointment for the vet for tomorrow to get her checked over anyway before I get her mated. I will ask the vet also about the pre-mate test. Thanks to everyone for your input and advice.

Advertisement