Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant Pocketing Rent allowance Payments!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Id say give the guy a chance O.P, maybe he did spent it but give him say 3 weeks to pay you the money back. Being unemployed is very hard and maybe he just spent the money under pressure. If he is otherwise a good tenant and a nice Guy who is down on his luck id let it slide, we all make mistakes.

I think the tenant has shown that he is not a nice guy and is taking the piss out of the op. The time for being nice has long gone and if they guy wont sort out his own rent issues then report him to the SW and kick him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

OP I dont know why you said no when he said hed pay you the cash from his own money. Regardless of weather he pocketed it or not from your perspective Id be looking to get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Swampy wrote: »
    I'd boot him out the door immediatly. Breach of contract ( assuming he signed one).

You're never going to get the money. Black bag his stuff and dump it outside. Threaten him with social welfare fraud.

If a tenant has lived in the property for more than six months you are not allowed simply evict them - even for non-payment of rent. In fact, if the OP back-bin bagged the guys stuff he might be prosecutable!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

If a tenant has lived in the property for more than six months you are not allowed simply evict them - even for non-payment of rent. In fact, if the OP back-bin bagged the guys stuff he might be prosecutable!

as far as I can make out this is rent a room so its not applicable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Here are some sites which provide information on the requirements for asking a tenant to leave:

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Europe/Ireland/Landlord-and-Tenant

http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=241

If you look at threshold's site it clearly states that one of the acceptable grounds for terminating a tenancy is for non-payment of rent:
    tenant not complying with their obligations (e.g. not paying their rent)
    (if there's no fixed term).

If there is a fixed term then
    it cannot under any circumstances be terminated before the expiry of the term, unless the landlord or the tenant is in serious breach of the agreement. Please contact Threshold if you have any query about these rules.

From your above posts, it clearly appears that your tenant is not paying his rent, so you are therefore entitled to terminate the tenancy. However, you need to give sufficient notice to the tenant if you are asking them to leave:

The tenant
    cannot be asked to leave during that time unless [they] are in rent arrears or in breach of [their] tenancy obligations. If [they] are in rent arrears, [they] must be notified by the landlord in writing. If [they] have not met [their] rent arrears within 14 days, then the landlord may issue [them] with 28 days notice of termination. [The tenants] are entitled to formal notice of any claim that [they] have broken the tenancy conditions and to be given time to set things right.

http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=240

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

convert wrote: »
    From your above posts, it clearly appears that your tenant is not paying his rent, so you are therefore entitled to terminate the tenancy. However, you need to give sufficient notice to the tenant if you are asking them to leave:
    Unless the landlord is in the same house. If so, IIRC, you can boot them out with no notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

the_syco wrote: »
    Unless the landlord is in the same house. If so, IIRC, you can boot them out with no notice.

Ooops, misread the OP! Then yeah, I think you can just ask them to leave if they're renting a room in an owner-occupier house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

From what you have said the tenant offered to pay the rent with his own money and you refused this??? Money is money and if you needed it you should have taken it off him when he offered it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Any Update O.P?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

lukesmom wrote: »
    From what you have said the tenant offered to pay the rent with his own money and you refused this???
    Where did the OP say that?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Any Update?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 electromecca

I have bit diffrent problem. I didnt recieved cheque for last monht, I went to health centre, and there they told me it was issued on 27th last month, so I rang post but they dont kno anything about it and sent me back to welfare. Now
    Ive been there today and person I was speakin with told me they cant re-issue cheque and I have to wait for next one!!! :confused:
    I still hav to pay my landlord 700 with I dont have! Any help what I should do next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Get them to give you a letter to that effect, detailing the the amount the next cheque will be, and see if the landlord will accept that.

Strictly speaking the the SW/HSE is putting you in the position where you'll breaking the contract with the landlord, by paying late. But thats typical of the daft system they've put in place.

But the landlord might overlook it, if you're a good tenant otherwise, and just wait for the next cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 electromecca

Thanks BostonB Ill go there next wed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

You were offered cash! you should have accepted that, sorry to be harsh but I think you brought this on yourself, should have taken a hard line from the start.
    can you clarify if this rent a room in your house or renting a room in a house you let?

Advertisement