Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*HISTORY SPECIAL TOPIC*

Options
  • 14-04-2010 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey i'm a history student and for my special topic I was hoping to write about the domestication of horses in ireland or the role of horses in ancient ireland. Does anyone know where I can get information from eg. any good webistes, books etc???

All help is much appreciated as I have to get started on my proposal ;)

xx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 equinestudent

Hi,
    I used a great book for my dissertation, The irish draught horse: a history by Mary McGrath and Joan Griffith. You can get it in easons if its not in your library. Its a brilliant book and goes into great detail. There's also an excellent resources chapter in the book that outlines where they got most of their info.

This site is also very good, think its compiled by the same people that wrote the book: http://www.irishdraughthorsebook.com/page03-resourceguide_introduction.html

Both the book and the website are mainly about the Irish Draught but that was the main horse used in Ireland in the past. The book gives details of how the breed evolved and how they came to be in the country etc.

Hope that helps!
    Elaine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Freckles93 wrote: »
    Hey i'm a history student and for my special topic I was hoping to write about the domestication of horses in ireland or the role of horses in ancient ireland. Does anyone know where I can get information from eg. any good webistes, books etc???

All help is much appreciated as I have to get started on my proposal ;)

xx

Which history course are you doing? If it's the Modern History course I'm pretty sure that your special topic has to be within the course dates, so I'd double check that with your teacher before deciding that you want to look at the nspecific topic that you've mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Freckles93

convert wrote: »
    Which history course are you doing? If it's the Modern History course I'm pretty sure that your special topic has to be within the course dates, so I'd double check that with your teacher before deciding that you want to look at the nspecific topic that you've mentioned.

Hey yeh i'll double check with him again but I think he said that we could write about any up until the cavemen or something hahaha but sure i'll double check!

xx:)

Hi,
    I used a great book for my dissertation, The irish draught horse: a history by Mary McGrath and Joan Griffith. You can get it in easons if its not in your library. Its a brilliant book and goes into great detail. There's also an excellent resources chapter in the book that outlines where they got most of their info.

This site is also very good, think its compiled by the same people that wrote the book: http://www.irishdraughthorsebook.com/page03-resourceguide_introduction.html

Both the book and the website are mainly about the Irish Draught but that was the main horse used in Ireland in the past. The book gives details of how the breed evolved and how they came to be in the country etc.

Hope that helps!
    Elaine :)

Hey Elaine thanks a mill thats great help:D I'll just double check with my history teacher and if he says yeh i'll get the book and get cracking! Do u have any idea how much it is?? Thanks again!

xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 equinestudent

Its €20 in easons: http://www.eason.ie/search?q=irish+draught&commit=Go

You can get it on amazon aswell, think there might be second hand copies available on there.

• Advertisement

Its €20 in easons: http://www.eason.ie/search?q=irish+draught&commit=Go

You can get it on amazon aswell, think there might be second hand copies available on there.

Hey thanks a mill :) I'm going to dundrum tomorrow to look in easons :) so thanks again :)

xx

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

As long as it's pre-1990, you can do your special topic on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

You might want to make a trip up to the national museum in Dublin. They have some bits and various different items on display, that are several thousand years old. Very interesting, might be something there you might find useful.

Advertisement