Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cleaning a silencer

Options
  • 14-04-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

hi lads when i got home from shooting yesterday and i was cleaning the gun i was screwing off the silencer it came apart it was easly screwed back together but when the silencer was apart it was full of gun power and general black **** would it be ok to clean it with hot water and washing up liquid dry it well and give it a light oiling

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

smokin ace wrote: »
    ...........would it be ok to clean it with hot water and washing up liquid dry it well and give it a light oiling

God no.

Get an empty (clean) jar. Place the mod into the jar. Spray liberally and well with oil and allow it to drip into the jar. Leave it sit for awhile and redo process. The oil will loosen the fouling. Where possible give a manual cleaning, but mostly i oil and blow out with an air line.

Do not put soapy water or water for that matter near the mod.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

grand job thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ezridax wrote: »
    God no.

Get an empty (clean) jar. Place the mod into the jar. Spray liberally and well with oil and allow it to drip into the jar. Leave it sit for awhile and redo process. The oil will loosen the fouling. Where possible give a manual cleaning, but mostly i oil and blow out with an air line.

I'm on my way out the door to clean my mod.
    I'll fire a few rounds at Bunnies. i see them waving at me all day as I do a college assignment.

By Jingo's I'm going to wave back at them, beautiful out but a little breezy for my 500yard rabbit attempt
    But i'll do my best!

Ezridax is spot on the only water that can go near a gun is when it's water under the bridge :D
    WD40 and the nozzle , leave for 20mins and blow dry.
    WD40 lifts carbon fouling quite well. Try Forrests foam as well

Now gots to go Bunnies calling!

Now gots to go Bunnies calling!

Enjoy. Nice enough day for it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I've a LEI mod on my hummer and the printed instructions for cleaning it were to soak in hot soapy water!

• Advertisement

Thats fair enough, but i've owned a T8, Ase Utra, Sak, Parker hale and currently a Predator Wildcat. I cleaned all of them the same as discribed above. You can by all means soak in hot soapy water, but as Tackleberrywho said i would be more than hesitant to let water (bar rain) near any of them.

Not saying you're wrong its just a personal opinion and as with all things you are free to do as you please or thats suits you. Not dictating just advising. :)

Enjoy. Nice enough day for it.

3 nice bunnies got and I am pleased as it was 3 for 3.
    150, 172 205.:D It's bluster though I had to shoot between the wind;)
    I'd love to stay out longer but I have head back to the big smoke, Work in the Morning :(

Oh roll on Sat evening. if I get to finish up early and we have good weather then happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Mine opens up easily enough and the baffles are easily removed for cleaning. Liberal oil coupled with a 12 gauge bronze cleans the inside of the main body quite well. Just take your time putting back the baffles. I use a section of my cleaning rod as a guide putting them back.

Good stuff.

Long range forecast is for cold mornings, but warm sunny days with the wind becoming less of a factor as the weekend draws near. :D

3 nice bunnies got and I am pleased as it was 3 for 3...........!

Thats it..........................i'm off out.

Talk later.

• Advertisement

Good stuff.

Long range forecast is for cold mornings, but warm sunny days with the wind becoming less of a factor as the weekend draws near. :D

Yippie Bring on the Sun, And warm evenings of bunny bashing.

The Karsten cheekpiece does the trick.
    So much more comfortable to shoot now;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

smokin ace wrote: »
    grand job thanks

wash it under a hot tap and washing up liquid ,use boiling water if its hard to get off.its a great way to get all the grime out of them.
    i wash my guns this was .use gun oil and alow to drip dry.but dont get the timber wet .

jwshooter wrote: »
    wash it under a hot tap and washing up liquid ,use boiling water if its hard to get off.its a great way to get all the grime out of them.
    i wash my guns this was .use gun oil and alow to drip dry.but dont get the timber wet .

IPA I use for cleaning parts in work, cut through solvents, Acetone either AKA nail varnish remover. (make sure to re-oil after as it lifts oil too)
    NMP will shift the hardest grime, but can eat plastic if left on it.

So be careful Rub off the hard stuff first with a bronze or brass brush. You can pay top dollar for these brushes or buy them in any good hardware store.

make sure when you put back in the baffles you do correctly as if they are out of alignment things can get hairy.

The DF use soap and water on plastic and then oil (car oil) on steel, But that's because they are doing it on the cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

The DF down here use Breakfree CLP;)

murph226 wrote: »
    The DF down here use Breakfree CLP;)

I'm almost afraid to ask what CLP is!

I hate acronyms as they can conflict

ABC always be covered
    ABC Airway Breathing Circulation
    CLP could be CLIENT LAWYER Privilege lol

murph226 wrote: »

Either you are not referring to Ireland or the lads are buying themselves

I introduced the guys to the cleaning rod.
    I have seen so much flannel stuck down the barrel of an AUG.

The cut backs this year are the pitts
    That CLP is shockin like WD40. Has the same characteristics perhaps a lower viscosity.

Most cleaning agennts can be made anyway at home. If you see what the chemical mixyure is and make it up.

As I said acetone IPA and NMP will clean anything, WD40 will lift most carbon and so too will soluable degreaser

Just remember to0 wear PPE when using that stuff as it can be agressive or irritant on the hands lungs etc

Ah.

Just back in. 2 crows and a bunny before dark and a possible fox, but wasn't sure of the backstop (ground has been dug and changed) so didn't take the shot.

Mod worked a treat and with it being able to be broken down in multiple pieces, it makes cleaning a breeze. Key to not having a build up of crap is clean after every outing, be it 1 shot or 15.

Ah.

Just back in. 2 crows and a bunny before dark and a possible fox, but wasn't sure of the backstop (ground has been dug and changed) so didn't take the shot.

Mod worked a treat and with it being able to be broken down in multiple pieces, it makes cleaning a breeze. Key to not having a build up of crap is clean after every outing, be it 1 shot or 15.

Feckin Magpies are doing my Nut at home they land in the field with the neighbors house in the background.

Did you ever take the ASE Ultra apart?

Mine was the Ase Utra S7. Did not break down/apart. Sprayed in and around it and used the airline method to clean it.

• Advertisement

Either you are not referring to Ireland or the lads are buying themselves

I introduced the guys to the cleaning rod.
    I have seen so much flannel stuck down the barrel of an AUG.

The cut backs this year are the pitts
    That CLP is shockin like WD40. Has the same characteristics perhaps a lower viscosity.

Most cleaning agennts can be made anyway at home. If you see what the chemical mixyure is and make it up.

As I said acetone IPA and NMP will clean anything, WD40 will lift most carbon and so too will soluable degreaser

Just remember to0 wear PPE when using that stuff as it can be agressive or irritant on the hands lungs etc

Nope, gallon cans of CLP in the ordnance stores.

Introduced who to a cleaning rod?
    Doesnt matter whether you use a rod or a pullthrough, you'll always get the muppets using too much flannelette!

CLP is fine, I personally would not advise using acetone on a gun or wd40 for that matter.

Advertisement