Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

license question gun club

Options
  • 14-04-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

I rang the local garda staion to ask about renewing my license today was told i required gun club membership and 2permissions for the application,iam not a member of a club and as far as i can understand idont have to be.So if i am told i cant apply without gun club membership,am i intitled to seek ameeting with the superintendent of the station to ask why i need that when i have 2 permissions? i have a .22 bolt action rifle and it is stored in safe at all times house is alarmed.im really annoyed now,i dont have 350 euro to join a club or range.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

bazza888 wrote: »
    ....... was told i required gun club membership and 2 permissions for the application............

Generally you need one or the other not both. Submit the application with your land permissions. If unsure talk to your FO, if still getting a stone wall consult with the FPU (firearms policy unit). Get their input.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

ask to see the super you dont need to join a gun club as long as you have your permission and tick all the other boxes i bet you were dealing with a cop behind a piece of glass that have not got a clue bout the licencing system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

the garda changed recently,old one helped me with my last license and i had it back in 6 weeks,have to go see the new lad today so see what happens then,id hate to bee applying for a .308!can just imagine the look ill get asking about a mod!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Lads,

Supers can decide what they will accept. If you disagree you can go to District Court.

FPU only works if Super will listen to their "advice" which some aren't :rolleyes:

By "gun club" membership they probably mean local game club not necessarily range type club.

It's all about hassling you into surrendering your firearms !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

On the other hand, it's quite possible that he put down on the application that it's for target shooting and hunting, a situation we've all heard about, and now, he's being asked for evidence of a place to do both. Perhaps we should find that out first, since it'd be the most useful information for us.

• Advertisement

the local game club wanted 350e to become a member last time i checked,would love to join but at that price cant! id be willing to help out with anything they were doing as i enjoy the outdoors but the cost doesnt allow for me to do that.

no i didnt get to hand it in he told me over phone i need a gun club membership and two permissions,i use it for shooting rabbits on the permissions i have and thats it,have 4 farmers permissions,only need 2 though.

I went to the station to meet guard at the time he stated,I was 15mins early and stayed for 45mins alltogether he didnt show up!i suppose something more important could have came,id be dissapointed if it was otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

Quick question if i have club membership can i shoot on land as well the reason i ask i have a friend who has land permission and asked me out to go shooting ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Quick question if i have club membership can i shoot on land as well the reason i ask i have a friend who has land permission and asked me out to go shooting ?

If I give you permission to shoot on my land you can, But AFAIK you have to apply for hunting on the orig application not Target only.

I could be corrected here as Rabbit and Fox are not hunting they are vermin control. I applied for both to be sure and stated so on my licence. so I can use all on Range and in field if the mood takes me

Normally shooting on a mates not an issue, most guys will bring anybody out once they are careful and preferably have their own Public Liability which is relatively cheap with the NARGC or IFA Countryside
    Farmers prefer IFA as they know more about them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

If I give you permission to shoot on my land you can, But AFAIK you have to apply for hunting on the orig application not Target only.

I could be corrected here as Rabbit and Fox are not hunting they are vermin control. I applied for both to be sure and stated so on my licence. so I can use all on Range and in field if the mood takes me

Normally shooting on a mates not an issue, most guys will bring anybody out once they are careful and preferably have their own Public Liability which is relatively cheap with the NARGC or IFA Countryside

Cool thanks for the offer, Where you from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Tackleberry, shooting "vermin" is hunting. The only difference with game animal hunting is that you hunt an animal that has no protection under the wildlife acts as in no closed season.

Advertisement