Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best scrolling beat em' up?

Options
  • 14-04-2010 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

Now that Final fight has been released on XBLA,which uses GGPO as a test code for SSFIV, I thought it's as good a time as any to vote on the best scrolling beat em up.

It's a hard one but I'm going to go for streets of rage 2. Great gameplay,nice variety of moves and enemies and some of the best 16-bit music I've heard.

Best beat em up series 27 votes

Golden Axe series
    0% 0 votes
    Final Fight series
    14% 4 votes
    TMNT:89' Arcade game
    18% 5 votes
    Streets of rage series
    7% 2 votes
    Captain Commando
    40% 11 votes
    The Simpsons Arcade game
    0% 0 votes
    Double Dragon series
    0% 0 votes
    TMNT:Turtles in time
    3% 1 vote
    Knights of the Round
    7% 2 votes
    Kung Fu
    0% 0 votes
    Battle toads series
    3% 1 vote
    Batman Returns (Snes)
    0% 0 votes
    Altered Beast
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Poll fail. No Alien vs. Predator or Punisher or the stupidly good Guardian Heroes on the saturn. Those 3 are my favourites and I'd go for either Guardian Heroes or AvP as my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Poll fail. No Alien vs. Predator or Punisher or the stupidly good Guardian Heroes on the saturn. Those 3 are my favourites and I'd go for either Guardian Heroes or AvP as my favourite.

I intended it to be 2D retro but yes I also played Guardian heroes,very good game. Never heard of the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Yeah I'd have to agree with Retr0 and say The Punisher or AvP myself. Probably The Punisher. I spent hours glued to it during summers as a kid after I found it in an arcade in Bray. It still looks and plays great today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Hard choice but I went with Streets of rage just for the sheer variety of different enemies you face and I used to love how harder enemies would have different colour shoes or clothes just to define that they were a tougher level than the last ones. Great games and had lots of fun playing them. It was a close one between Golden Axe, Altered Beast and SOR though.

Altered Beast was tough!

Here's something people might find interesting if they remember the sounds from Altered Beast :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg9wQ0WBBSo

A Nice dubstep track incorporating some Altered Beast samples. Lavlay ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara.

Thread over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Streets of Rage for life

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Either Streets of Rage 2(unequalled in control and simplicity) or AvP (basically scrolling street fighter- down up punch!)

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Golden Axe!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Forgot about the 2 dungeons and dragons games from capcom, they were indeed awesome. I also really like Die Hard Arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

Objectively, I know it was never a good game, but I loved Altered Beast as a young 'un, specificilly turning into a werewolf/dragon/tiger thing.

I could never get into those sort of 3D movement beat em ups like Streets of Rage or GoldenAxe though... I had them on MegaGames 6 (pack in compillation cart), but never really liked them very much. Alignin yourself with an enemy was very hit and miss, timers were unnecessary, and at times it felt like it was less skill, and more attrition, and abusing certain tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Poll fail. No Alien vs. Predator
    Agreed. God I played this game to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Anyone remember Golden Axe 3 arcade? I read a preview of it in CVG when I was ikle and the graphics looked amazing

Obviously never came out, GA3 was a Megadrive game. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about it

Anyways ... carry on ... :)

Oh and Streets of Rage II ftw

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Crime fighters is the only game that I've actually stolen money of my mother to play!!! I still feel like crap over that..........:(

Another amazing game that you left of the list is Capcom's 'dungeons and dragons tower of something or another.......'
    Much more memorable than it's name.

Shadow warriors as well.

And let's not forget 'BAD DUDES VS THE DRAGON NINJA'. Feckin awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

a poll without cadillacs and dinasours ?

GET OUT.

578_3.jpg

Loved me some Cadillacs and Dinosaurs back in the day.

Also Simpsons arcade machine with 4 players was epic. I unfortunately never played the monstrous dual screen X-men arcade game for 6 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Guardian Heroes with Cadillacs and Dinosaurs a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Defo Streets Of Rage, the others just dont bring back that much of a memory to be honest. The in game music to it was awesome

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Was a HD version of Final Fighter released recently?

Anyways the one I remember most is Streets of Rage, music was awesome in it as Hound said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Anyone played double dragon lately? What a piece of ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

The Hound wrote: »
    Defo Streets Of Rage, the others just dont bring back that much of a memory to be honest. The in game music to it was awesome

Believe it or not I wake up to the Boss music from the original Streets of Rage on my phone as an alarm every day :) Sad but true. It's classic. I used to love at the end of a round when **** would go quiet and the screen would stop scrolling you knew **** was about to go down and then the music would start and you'd **** yourself before the boss for that level stormed in to do his job. Used to scare the **** out of me every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Azza wrote: »

Anyways the one I remember most is Streets of Rage, music was awesome in it as Hound said.

Yes and Magic sword thrown in as a bonus. It uses the same net code as SSFIV. I just played an online game and it's flawless.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Anyone remember Golden Axe 3 arcade? I read a preview of it in CVG when I was ikle and the graphics looked amazing

Obviously never came out, GA3 was a Megadrive game. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about it

Anyways ... carry on ... :)

Oh and Streets of Rage II ftw

There was indeed an arcade Golden axe "3".

It was called the revenge of death adder.

Azza wrote: »

The composer also famously did the music for Actraiser and revenge of shinobi. The man was a master of 16 bit music.

Also if I recall he did a remix of a certain dictators theme...

Actually you're all wrong. Check this **** out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I only remember Streets of Rage 1 & 2, Shinobi, some terrible SNES thing where you're robot ninjas, and the godly Turtles in Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Good thread, can I ask though, as much as I wished it was true, where'd yea get this from:
    Xluna wrote: »
    Now that Final fight has been released on XBLA,which uses GGPO as a test code for SSFIV,

As far as I'm aware, no GGPO for Super sf4 :(

On topic:

I was late into the gaming stuff. My 1st console was a megadrive. 1st game I played when I got my megadrive was streets of rage.

Out of the games talked about here I only ever really played streets of rage and golden axe. Both great but streets of rage was just so classic, if onion hadnt have posted that vid I would have, I laughed my ass off when I 1st saw that:

D4RK ONION wrote: »

I just love how during the scene where they 'call for back up' they got it down just right that during the cut scene there's always be one enemy just turning left to right all the time. Fantastic.

Yeah the music was excellent, can you imagine walking into a club some time and this comes on :

Ry wrote: »
    Believe it or not I wake up to the Boss music from the original Streets of Rage on my phone as an alarm every day :) Sad but true. It's classic.

Hahha that's one epic alarm. I'm always reluctant to put something I like as my alarm as I'll grow to hate it.

This is my ring tone however :D

Question, I've never played any of the final fight games, were they any good compared to the likes of streets of rage?

• Advertisement

:O How can you be a street fighter fan and not have played Final Fight! They are both set in the same universe.

Final Fight is about the same quality as Streets of Rage 2 I'd say, I think I prefer SoR2 more. The sequels on the SNES weren't as good. However later capcom fighting games were way better than the streets of rage series. The two dungeons and dragons games, alien vs. predator, Punisher and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs were a lot better.

A good read for anyone interested

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/finalfightclones/finalfightclones.htm

Advertisement