Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best scrolling beat em' up?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Bush80 wrote: »
    Anyone played double dragon lately? What a piece of ****.
    I recall many the afternoon down the local bowling alley, elbowing my way to victory!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Without rose tinted glasses, SOR2 is miles better than FF in my opinion. There's just way more to Streets of Rage 2 (three "special" moves per character, more throws, character specific weapon moves, the ability to throw weapons on command etc).

That said FF is still a damn good twitch game.

Ken B wrote: »
    I recall many the afternoon down the local bowling alley, elbowing my way to victory!

:) I used the reverse kick instead. You could finish that entire game using 1 move.

:) I used the reverse kick instead. You could finish that entire game using 1 move.
    I was just discussing this with my Bro and we both came to the conclusion that our reliance on a single button to finish these games was extremely detrimental to our later development as advanced fighting games players!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Ken B wrote: »
    I was just discussing this with my Bro and we both came to the conclusion that our reliance on a single button to finish these games was extremely detrimental to our later development as advanced fighting games players!!

Apparently it helped Dooms development :P

I don't know if I can decide what my fav beat-em-up was. I think if I was forced to pick I would go for the four player Simpsons one. Not that it was the best but just for the bedlam that four players caused especially when they are all trying to whore points.

AvP was probably the best game in the genre though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

didn't have streets of rage in the local arcade, so final fight would be my choice. But I'll definitely check out SOR.

was mad into kung-fu master as a young fella too. Whhhapaaa!

EL_Loco wrote: »
    didn't have streets of rage in the local arcade, so final fight would be my choice. But I'll definitely check out SOR.

was mad into kung-fu master as a young fella too. Whhhapaaa!

SoR never made it to the arcades (well, technically...) It was the megadrives response to Nintendo bagging FF.

But SoR 2 to this day is worth a punt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If anyone wants to try SoR3 then don't play the US or EU version. They were completely raped. The Japanese version, Bare Knuckle 3, is far better. It's easier and less frustrating and has loads of content that was cut from the western releases. They also have an extra boss Ash who can be a secret playable character as well:

Streets%20of%20Rage%203%20Ash%20Japanese-2.gif

Take a guess at why he was cut from western releases.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If anyone wants to try SoR3 then don't play the US or EU version. They were completely raped. The Japanese version, Bare Knuckle 3, is far better. It's easier and less frustrating and has loads of content that was cut from the western releases. They also have an extra boss Ash who can be a secret playable character as well:

Streets%20of%20Rage%203%20Ash%20Japanese-2.gif

Take a guess at why he was cut from western releases.
    Is that the singer from Cameo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

That guy's so flaming he'd give the megadrive the RROD.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

How could everyone Forget....... BATTLETOADS!!!! FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Lads i'll cant help but add 3 titles to the mix which i have fond memories of.
    1. crime fighters
    2. 2 crude dudes
    3.splatterhouse

all classics.. if you ever wanted to get in a brawl with scum you just had to seek out the nearest crime fighters cabinet..they flocked to that like flies to Sh*t. A-trak and ken B know what i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Maybe they should have made a side scrolling beat 'em up about kicking the shizz out of random knacks acting the bollocks in local arcades. Once you beat the last boss you get to actually play the arcade game you were trying to get to.

Which turns out to be the sequel to the one you were just playing...

/mind ****

Advertisement