Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help setting up Netgear router

• 14-04-2010 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

I just bought a Netgear Wireless-N Moden Router to replace my old Netopia 3347WG router, as it was giving me a lot of trouble, and didn't have the range I needed.

However, I've gotten nowhere trying to set up the new router. I've had to switch back to the old one to try and figure out how to do it.

Basically, I haven't once gotten the 'internet' light to go green on the router, and can't figure out why. All the other lights are working - wireless connection, ethernet connection, DSL connection, and it lets me log onto the router set-up page to install it, but when I try to automatically configure it, it tells me that it can't find the DNS address.

There were no microfilters or DSL cables in the router box, so I'm using the old eircom ones, and I've tried every combination of filter and DSL socket etc, but none of it will get the internet light to go on.

Anyone have any suggestions? It'd be much much much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you put in the basic eircom settings?

Basic Modem Config:
    Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Try the google dns: http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

I have a netgear wireless model dg834pn, say your exact model. I am with vodafone.

and it should be all done automatically. go to router set up etc, what stumped me for a while was ADSL settings. as shown above.

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

The model is a DGN2000. I tried the default eircom username/password, but I'm fairly sure the problem lies way before that. The manual said all the lights should be green before you start configuring it, but my 'internet' light has never been green, mostly off, and sometimes red. I've been on the phone to support all day with no success. Tried downloading the newest firmware, didn't help, tried different combinations of usename/password, and it didn't help.

Can someone explain a bit about the wall-to-router connections, because I'm quite sure that's where I'm going on. Where the DSL cable to the Netopia was plugged into the wall there's a little box with a DSL slot and a phone slot, some kind of splitter built into the wall. I also have filters, for DSL and phone, which I've tried in different combinations, but nothing has worked...

Might the problem be that I'm using the DSL cable that came with the eircom router? Or that I'm not using the right kind of filter at the wall?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you put in the other settings I gave you above?

It should just be a matter of substituting the Netgear for the netopia.

The only thing you need to do is to take the telephone lead from the netopia and put it into the netgear - no need to change filters etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

the gadget on the wall means you dont have to use a ADSL filter. Just plug in telephone cable direct.

I did a google for you and that router is a..... pig. Loads of suggestions on what to try.

here's a link to one, and one was to do a reset.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1168052.html

gb

• Advertisement

I haven't tried changing the multiplexing or VCI or VPI, I'll try that, thanks.

Done! Finally...I had to reboot the router via the router page and then put in the settings again, I'm just happy it works!

Any tips for getting the best out of a router, like placement etc? Is it better on the ground floor, or the first floor? (Or a 2 story w/converted attic house).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Done! Finally...I had to reboot the router via the router page and then put in the settings again, I'm just happy it works!

Any tips for getting the best out of a router, like placement etc? Is it better on the ground floor, or the first floor? (Or a 2 story w/converted attic house).

Generally the higher in a room the better. Away from microwave or other metal surfaces.

If you need coverage in ground floor, first floor and attic, then maybe place it on first floor, around middle of house. If on ground floor, coverage may be spotty in attic.

Although it's a Wifi N, you are probably going to be using G most of the time, unless all your devices can do N.

RangeR wrote: »
    Generally the higher in a room the better. Away from microwave or other metal surfaces.

If you need coverage in ground floor, first floor and attic, then maybe place it on first floor, around middle of house. If on ground floor, coverage may be spotty in attic.

Although it's a Wifi N, you are probably going to be using G most of the time, unless all your devices can do N.

2 of the 3 laptops in the house can do N (after a bit of research), and the only one that can't is very rarely used.

But, I can't see an option on the router page to change it to N, the only options are b, g, and b & g. I'm guessing the reason the range hasn't changed is because it's set to G at the moment. Screenshot:

screenshot20100418at212.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I thought you would have a option similar to what I have on my Netgear WND3700.
    What firmware version is your router at?
    You should see the version details under the Router status menu.
    wndr3700.jpg

• Advertisement

Firmwear: V1.1.8.0

Which of those options on your ss is for N?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

300Mbps in your case it would be 270

Advertisement