Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accessories for my Cube Hardtail

• 14-04-2010 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

I recently purchased a Cube Ltd Comp '10 bike:
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=31683

For now, I'll be mostly using it for commuting a few miles to work and cycling around the city so I need to get a lock, mudguards, lights, spare tubes, pump, puncture repair kit. I have a few sets of Allen keys already. Would lubricant be handy to have also? I'm also thinking about getting some city/road/slick tyres as I'll be mainly using the bike for getting around the city for now. I already have waterproof jacket and overpants. Might get some gloves.

I'll probably get the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Lock 2010 to lock rear wheel to frame. I'll probably get the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain 100cm 2010 to lock frame to post or bike stand and also maybe get a Kryptonite cable to secure seat and front wheel to frame/lock/chain. Is that overkill? I'd leave the chain in work and take the cable and U-lock with me.

In terms of lights, from reading here, I'll probably go for a Blackburn Mars 3.0 or Smart 1/2 Watt rear light. Not sure about the front. Maybe a Smart or Blackburn light again. Mostly city cycling for now.

With regards mudguards (not sure of brand and size), tubes, pump and puncture repair kit and lubricant, I haven't got a clue. The current Schwalbe tyres are size 26. Would Continental be a safe bet for city/road/slicks tyres? Any recommendations?

All advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

aaf wrote: »
    I'll probably get the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Lock 2010 to lock rear wheel to frame. I'll probably get the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain 100cm 2010 to lock frame to post or bike stand and also maybe get a Kryptonite cable to secure seat and front wheel to frame/lock/chain. Is that overkill? I'd leave the chain in work and take the cable and U-lock with me.
    I have almost the exact same bike and those exact locks. And I wouldn't lock it up with anything less. The cube looks great in the flesh which will make it more attractive to thieves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I got my New York Mini lock for GBP55 from amazon along with a Kryptoflex cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

I have almost the exact same bike and those exact locks. And I wouldn't lock it up with anything less. The cube looks great in the flesh which will make it more attractive to thieves.
    What about the other accessories I listed? What have you got. Eager to make a purchase so I can start cycling to work. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

aaf wrote: »
    What about the other accessories I listed? What have you got. Eager to make a purchase so I can start cycling to work. Thanks.

I don't commute on it, I commute on a road bike, so i can't really recommend MTB slicks or mudguards as I wouldn't have a clue.
    You could try reading some of the customer reviews of these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Tyres_-_MTB_Road/
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=mtb+slick+tyre

The tyres you have right now are 26x2.25. It looks like most MTB slicks go from 26x1.25 to 26x1.8. 26 is the diameter of the tyre, the second number is the width of the tyre. So just buy a spare tube that is sized to fit your tyre.

If I get a puncture on my commute, I usually put in the spare tube, bring the puntured one home, repair it, roll it up and keep it as the spare. I throw away a tube on the fifth punture.

I do have those smart 1/2 LED's but mine keep going flakey. working when they feel like it, cutting out etc... I think most people who have them are satisfied though.

A multi-tool is much easier to carry around than a bunch of allen keys.

And get chain lube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Anyone else got any advice?

• Advertisement
Advertisement