Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 weeks to Leeside Redemption!

• 14-04-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

My first training log on boards, here goes. After the disappointment of dropping out in Rotterdam 3 days ago i've decided to run the Cork Marathon on June 7th. I trained damn hard for over 4 months and it all went wrong on the day, not this time.

My running background;

I used to be a sprinter/middle distance runner and i was always naturally fast, starting with the community games when i was 10 (15 years ago), going on to AAI track championships then University races. I decided to concentrate on road running and more recently marathoning when it dawned on me that there was no future for me on the track once i left college.

PB's

200m, 24.0 secs, U17
    400m, 53.8 secs, 2004
    800m, 2'08.8, 2006
    Mile, 5'00, Nov 2006 Maynooth
    5k, 18'15, training run at peak fitness, Aug 2006
    5 mile, 30'18, Sept 2006
    10k, none of note
    10 mile, 63'18, Mallow 10, Jan 2007
    1/2 Marathon, 1'28'31, Sept 2009
    Marathon, completed 3, best in 3'22'18, DCM 2009.

It is noteworthy that most of these were set in 2006 when i was at peak fitness. Also its clear as day my best times are the shorter distances. I've never really got that fitness back, although last years half is getting there.

Training

I followed the 12/55 pfitzinger program for Rotterdam but not this time. I'm gonna make my own plan for the next 8 weeks, based on my previous 5 years of road running training and online articles (inc the other logs here).

My goal for Cork is a PB, (sub 3'22), i will set target pace closer to the day based on how the next few weeks go. I will run the Docklands 8k in Dublin in the middle of May and maybe one other race.

Day 1, Weds 14/04, 3.5 miles in 29 mins approx just to get the legs back after Sunday, lovely day for a run and felt no ill effects. The road to Cork starts here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Fair play Brian. Like I said to ya on Sunday, best of luck with Cork. Good call at mile 16 IMO in Rotterdam.

Will you be doing an LSR this weekend? Will be an interesting log, I'll be following anyway. All the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Fair play Brian. Like I said to ya on Sunday, best of luck with Cork. Good call at mile 16 IMO in Rotterdam.

Will you be doing an LSR this weekend? Will be an interesting log, I'll be following anyway. All the best.

Thanks, yeah will do 12-14 mls tomorrow.

Fri 16/04, did 10km today in 45 mins flat on the UL riverbank. Felt like doing a a fast one. Great evening for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Same thing happened to me in luton last december. I felt shocking after 13 miles, i had nothing left. I limped home for 3.42 but i also understand you decision to drop out. Good luck in cork, ill probably see you down there.
    What was your goal in rotterdam by the way? Judging on your times id ray anywhere from sub 3 to 3.15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Best of luck with the training. Hope the People's Republic of Cork works out better for you.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me in luton last december. I felt shocking after 13 miles, i had nothing left. I limped home for 3.42 but i also understand you decision to drop out. Good luck in cork, ill probably see you down there.
    What was your goal in rotterdam by the way? Judging on your times id ray anywhere from sub 3 to 3.15.

That Luton race is horrible, i ran it in 07, halfway in 1'30 then crash, finished in 3'38 after miles of walking, howling wind and rain, never doing that again. At least it was cheap!

My rotterdam goal was 3'15. Happy now that i dropped out to be honest, would be wrecked for the rest of the month with another 3'40 finishing time behind me otherwise and i'm not interested in just finishing anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Welcome to the logs.

Best of luck with the training and goals.

I should ressurct my log once final exams are over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

That Luton race is horrible, i ran it in 07, halfway in 1'30 then crash, finished in 3'38 after miles of walking, howling wind and rain, never doing that again. At least it was cheap!

My rotterdam goal was 3'15. Happy now that i dropped out to be honest, would be wrecked for the rest of the month with another 3'40 finishing time behind me otherwise and i'm not interested in just finishing anymore.

Yeah your right about luton. Shocking course and extreme weather and its a ****hole:-)
    I did a marathon 5 weeks after luton and got a 13 min pb on a very hard course. Took another 10 mins off that last week for 3.14. Your training wont go to waste. Good luck. If you dont experience the lows the highs wont be as sweet:-)

Sun 18/04, 10 miles today in 78'33 (7'51) over a hilly course, felt ok bar the last mile, very hot today in limerick, lost 1.6kg during the run.

Weekly Summary. 3 runs and 20 miles total, not high mileage but it was more of a recovery week than anything else, feel like i'm back to normal now after last Sunday.

Mon 19-04, 4 mls recovery run today in 34:18, felt fine during, but a little fatigued for a few hours after, rest day tomorrow in punchestown :)

Weds, 21/04. Did one of the "big workouts" from the "want to increase speed for the DCM thread by tergat today, I went for the 3-4 x 1.5-2 miles @ HMP, jog 2 minutes between, then 6 x 100m @ 5k, jog 100.

I did 4 x 1.5 mls at HMP (6'45 miling based on last years half in sept) with 5 x 100m, with 2 mls w/u and w/d. " 2 mls w/u in around 18mins, took it handy as i knew what was coming. 10'07, 10'04, 10'06, 10'02 were the 1.5 ml times which were bang on target. Strides were ok, warm down was tough though and i felt it in the legs. Very good workout though i have to say. 11.25 miles total, time 1'28'32, ironically my half marathon PB.

• Advertisement

Thurs 22/04, 3 and a half hrs tennis today then golf, exhausting day, not much of a rest day!

Fri, 23/04. 3.25 mls 28 mins, easy recovery run on grass, stiff as a poker and felt awful from outset. tennis for so long not a good idea!

Sat 24/04. 12 mls mostly road in 1'34'56 (7'55), still stiff but felt better. Good run, overcast for a change.

Sun 25/04. Going to Liverpool for Everton vs Fulham. Definite rest day. John smiths loading!

Week total, 30.5mls and 4 runs, not impressive mileage but 2 good runs esp weds session, will increase mileage early next week before 10km race in the great limerick run next sunday.

Tues 27/04. 18 mile LSR today in 2'26'30 (8'08) in malahide demesne. 3 x 3.5 ml laps and 3 x 2.5 ml laps. Took it handy early on then increased pace throughout, fastest at finish, felt good at the end for a change.

Lap times:
    1) 3.5 ml - 30'30
    2) 3.5 ml - 29'00
    3) 2.5 ml - 20'00
    4) 3.5 ml - 28'30
    5) 2.5 ml - 20'00
    6) 2.5 ml - 18'30

Really happy with the run, felt like doing another 2.5 ml lap but held back with 10km great limerick run sunday.

Thurs 29/04, 9 mls in 72'45 (8'05) inc. a full lap of Annes pk. Legs felt dead after it, i was never as tired after a run in my life. maybe because i was playing poker till 6am and drinking the night before! Over 500 miles now for the year.

Fri 30/04, 4 ml recovery run in 35'12 (8'48), didn't push it, felt much better than yesterday.

Great Limerick 10k run tomorrow, no nerves at all, just gonna try to enjoy it.

Great Limerick Run 10km report.

Left for the race start around 40 mins before the start, did a mile warm up and felt pretty good. Started near the front and went off pretty fast, felt like 6 min miling from the outset and wondered if i could sustain it. Passing king johns castle i struggled with the bridge and the 2 ramps as i had to dodge walkers and slower runners in front of me. I got in a group at this stage who said they were all targeting sub 40 so i went with them. The group fragmented at mile 2 and i was running solo out the ennis road. Passing thomond park and my home roads i reached 5k in 19'10 which told me the sub 40 was definitely on. With a mile to go a faster runner came up and passed me and i just went with him until sarsfield bridge, with just 400m left i started passing one or 2, then i ran my usual 12.5secs for the last 100m for a finish in 37'33 (6'01). A PB, delighted. Step one of the rotterdam redemption is complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Left for the race start around 40 mins before the start, did a mile warm up and felt pretty good. Started near the front and went off pretty fast, felt like 6 min miling from the outset and wondered if i could sustain it. Passing king johns castle i struggled with the bridge and the 2 ramps as i had to dodge walkers and slower runners in front of me. I got in a group at this stage who said they were all targeting sub 40 so i went with them. The group fragmented at mile 2 and i was running solo out the ennis road. Passing thomond park and my home roads i reached 5k in 19'10 which told me the sub 40 was definitely on. With a mile to go a faster runner came up and passed me and i just went with him until sarsfield bridge, with just 400m left i started passing one or 2, then i ran my usual 12.5secs for the last 100m for a finish in 37'33 (6'01). A PB, delighted. Step one of the rotterdam redemption is complete.
    thats sub 3 timing.....
    Depends on the long ones.
    what made you pull out in rotterdam. Great decision. Its one i would def do. I am doing berlin september and if not going well at 10km i would pull out at halfway...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Great time BriandR, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Great time there. Congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Congrats on the 10k PB. Great time indeed. Best of luck with the training for Cork. There wont be any distractions on the 22nd May now so you'll be flying.

^ yeah pity about the rugby.

I had a feeling the 10k course was short and now knowing that it was 9.43km it makes my finishing time more realistic given my training runs. My 10k time was really 39'40 ish given that i would have run the 570m more at the same pace which is still a big PB for me, so i'm happy enough nonetheless.

Week total, 38 miles and 4 runs. Mileage not high enough probably but running well since rotterdam.

what made you pull out in rotterdam. Great decision. Its one i would def do. I am doing berlin september and if not going well at 10km i would pull out at halfway...........

Just fatigue and travel related tiredness i think on the day. i was injured a week before and i only had one run in the 9 days before which didnt help. No shame at all in pulling out, although if you do it once your more likely to do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Great time Brian. You have strong basic speed. Would you not consider knocking cork on the head, work on the endurance (inc mileage, midweek medium/long runs etc) and go for Longford or Dublin? I ran 3'10 in dublin last year never getting anywhere near that kind of pace for 10k-type races beforehand (did 5 miles in 31'55 in july 09 for example). That 10k time sounds more like that of someone who should aim for a sub-3 (although maybe not in cork) to me.

In any case I look forward to following your progress and congrats on the time again.

Great time Brian. You have strong basic speed. Would you not consider knocking cork on the head, work on the endurance (inc mileage, midweek medium/long runs etc) and go for Longford or Dublin? I ran 3'10 in dublin last year never getting anywhere near that kind of pace for 10k-type races beforehand (did 5 miles in 31'55 in july 09 for example). That 10k time sounds more like that of someone who should aim for a sub-3 (although maybe not in cork) to me.

In any case I look forward to following your progress and congrats on the time again.

I had considered not doing another one until Dublin but after all the training i did in the winter i want a good marathon finish to show for it, anything else beforehand would be a bonus. I will have 20 weeks before Dublin after cork to increase the mileage to 50/60 a week every week for a sub 3'10 attempt then. My potential is not over 26 miles i know (more like 200m lol) but its becoming something of an obsession to me recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

^ yeah pity about the rugby.

I had a feeling the 10k course was short and now knowing that it was 9.43km it makes my finishing time more realistic given my training runs. My 10k time was really 39'40 ish given that i would have run the 570m more at the same pace which is still a big PB for me, so i'm happy enough nonetheless.

Week total, 38 miles and 4 runs. Mileage not high enough probably but running well since rotterdam.

Nothing more annoying that thinking I've hit a very fast time and then find out the course is short! You would think they'd be able to measure a course properly. In any case its still a great time.

Mon 03/05, 4 mls recovery run in 34'45 (8'43). Legs not too bad after yesterday.

Tuesday 04/05, 11 mls medium long run in 1'30'30 (8'14). Never felt good throughout, not recovered after Sunday but not too bad. Left knee pain for a few strides but it quickly vanished.

Going to liverpool wednesday for the chester races, 2/3 rest days ahead, probably needed......!

Sat 08/05, 5 mls easy in 43'30. Tired from all the drinking and the travelling during the week in chester but ran ok.

Sat 08/05, 5 mls recovery run in 43'30, recovery as in from the drinking and travelling during the week, got in at 6am on the ferry sat morning, had to get the ferry over too due to the stupid ash.

Sun 09/05, 20.5 mls LSR Malahide Demesne again in 2'49'00 even (8'15). 3 x 3.5ml laps and 4 x 2.5ml laps. Easy enough first 3.5ml lap, then picked it up to 8 min miling until last 2.5 ml lap. Suffered on the last lap, glad to finish it.

Missed the reg for the docklands race which starts 5 mins from my flat in dublin and that i've watched for the last 3 years, oops! might pick a different tune up race in the meantime.

Tues 12/05, 6 mls easy (ish) in 51 mins. Legs a bit dead form the LSR on sunday, happy to finish it, raining and miserable.

Weds 13/05, 4 ml recovery run, no watch, was going to do 11/12 big workout but i didnt want to miss any of the europa league final, i can do that session tomorrow anyway.

Limerick county 4 mile on sunday, might do it or another 20 miler, not sure.

Thurs 13/05, Big interval workout i did 2 weeks ago out in a windy clontarf. 4 x 1.5ml @ hm pace (6'45) with 2 mls w/u and w/d plus 5 x 100m strides ' 5k pace. Around 10 mins for the first 2 reps with the tailwind and felt pretty good. Last 2 reps into a strong headwind and were in the region of 10'15-10'20, no watch, just used mp3 song lengths as a guide. Strides and warm down were fine too. Headwind was difficult to cut through and felt pretty tired after. Poker for the last 8 hours not exactly the best recovery, ah well. Total miles 11.25.

Sat 15/05, 10 miles today in 74'41 (7'28), which essentially is a marathon pace run even tough i set out to do 78-79 mins. Felt good so kept pushing on, not overly tired after, very happy with the run.

• Advertisement

Last week, 31.25 miles, happy with mp run and intervals session, the kenyans better watch out in Cork, lol!

Mon 17-05, 4 ml recovery in 34-45, relaxed easy run. 20 mile LSR tuesday and wanted to be relatively fresh for it.

Advertisement