Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 weeks to Leeside Redemption!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Tues 18/05, 20 mile LSR in UL in 2'39'03 (7'57), mostly on the riverbank and last 4 mls around castletroy. Easy start then picked it up to sub 8 miling. Felt very good 5-14mls then hunger hit, 2 miles from my lucozade sport, battled through it and ran the last 4 mls in 32/33 mins approx. Happy to finish it. The rain was constant throughout and it felt like it would never end. Good to do an LSR sub 8 min miling for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Tues 18/05, 20 mile LSR in UL in 2'39'03 (7'57), mostly on the riverbank and last 4 mls around castletroy. Easy start then picked it up to sub 8 miling. Felt very good 5-14mls then hunger hit, 2 miles from my lucozade sport, battled through it and ran the last 4 mls in 32/33 mins approx. Happy to finish it. The rain was constant throughout and it felt like it would never end. Good to do an LSR sub 8 min miling for a change.

Nice run to get in, its time to taper NOW though ! See you at the starting line in Cork !

^ yeah i know, i've done a few marathons now and still trying to figure out which tapering method works.

Thurs 20/05, 4 ml recovery in oppressively hot weather in 34'40 ish, still quite tired after the 20 miler, but ok run. I wasnt built to run in this heat.

Fri 21/05, 2 hrs tennis, lovely day for it.

Sat 22/05, 4 mls easy, felt very stiff after the tennis yesterday and also quite tired and couldnt manage much more.

Sun, rest day, felt tired again today, tough session planned for tomorrow so rest is best.

Week total, 32 miles, Good run tuesday but felt the effects for the rest of the week and only managed 3 other short runs.

Mon 24/05, 11.25ml interval session, 4 x 1.5 mls with 2 mins jog in between then 5 x 100m strides inc 2 mls w/u and 2mls w/d. Interval times; 10:03, 10:10, 9:53, 9:45. Faster times than before over the same course so thats a good sign. Nice tailwind for the last 2 but burning sun in my face. Great night for it, but quite tired and dehydrated afterwards.

• Advertisement

Tues 25/05, 4mls recovery run n 35'05, slowest run of my life, but felt tired after last nights session.

Fri 28/05, After 2 rest days (frankie boyle at vicar street and golf) did 14 miles LSR in the Phoenix Park in 1'54'00 (8'08) 1 big lap of outside then 2 laps of chesterfield avenue ashtown gate, north road route. good enough run, never fely uncomfortable but not exactly cruising at the same time. Its my last LSR until August or so (good riddance). All systems go for Cork.

last weeks total 29.25 miles, not bad considering the taper.

Mon 31/05, 5 mls in 40'30 and 5 x 100m strides, felt a little sluggish early but good finish, excellent speed on strides.

Weds 02/06, 5 mls with 2 mls at pmp, 7'30 ish pace. 1 ml w/u then the 2 pmp miles then 2 mls w/d. Pmp pace felt comfortable enough. Overall time 41'15, took it handy the other 3 mls. One run left friday before Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Cheers for the note in my log. Best of luck to you too, I'm sure you'll put Rotterdam far behind you and this will be a great success! Really starting to get excited now, lots of good luck wishes as I left the office today, back in Ireland tonight and just one more day of work to get through before it'll all be Cork, Cork, Cork!

See you in the Lancaster, it's always great to meet more likeminded runners :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Yeah good luck brian. Keep an eye out for you. Ill be one of the pacers:-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

All the best Brian. You owe the marathon a beating. enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Been following the log Brian...good stuff...all the best for Monday ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

good luck on monday, you did the right thing in running this marathon after rotterdam....all the best with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

All the best for monday brian. hopefully it all clicks together.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll let you know how i get on.

Fri 04/06, 4 mls in 35'50 (8'58), just a cruise, "the hay is in the barn" as they say in Without Limits. Thats it now till Monday. Carb loading is under way.

Pre race thoughts; Gonna try and go out in 8+ min miling for the first 3, then pick it up to 7'30-7'40 ish, a pace i should be able to sustain to the finish. Halfway in 1'39-1'40 preferably then pick it up slightly if i'm feeling good. I will shut it down to 8 min miling if i'm suffering at this point. A PB would be nice (3'22) but not that important. One thing for sure is i'm definitely finishing this time, no excuses. Que sera sera.

A brief race report, i'll do a longer one tomorrow after the pain subsides a little. Started out handy enough, first 3 mls were ok, then the long run down to the tunnel, strong headwinds and driving rain, no hiding place, kept pushing on at 7:30-7'40, soaked to the skin. Awful surroundings, no crowds, uninspiring. Halfway 1'41 exactly. Going ok till 16mls then flattened out amid shooting leg cramps. Race effectively over at 17mls and walked jogged home. Glad to finish under 4hrs at least but i will never run slower. 32 mins slower than last october. I might leave DCM this year and focus on shorter races i will see in the next few weeks. Met the boardsies last night and again afterwards, all seemed in good form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hi brian sounds like a tough run. Fair play for finishing. There will be plenty of other races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Hard luck Brian but congrats on another marathon in the bag. The timing of the Addidas series is good but don't listen to me, you probably need a good rest up. Get hungry for it, onwards and upwards.

Cork Aftermath;

Now that i've had time to think about it maybe my body does need a good rest, i mean i've been marathon training for 12 months without much of a break. Over the last few months the LSR's were difficult psychologically and physically. It always was, gotta do an LSR tomorrow and i was dreading them somewhat. I was gonna write a long race report on cork, but what can i say, i blew up at mile 15-16 as a result of not enough training miles and fighting strong headwinds for the first half, as well as the driving rain. The easy thing to do was to stop but that wasnt happening again, but 32 mins off my PB, wtf?. Nonetheless, I've now finished 4 marathons and not many 25 year olds can say that.

The future;

Time to revert to shorter distances, 5 miles. 10k's and the half in phoenix park in september. I may even drift into the DCM this year if i get a PB in that race but thats a bit mad. I might run a few of the graded meetings in santry etc. I mean i won the only one i've ever done, the B 400m in 2007. Much better than the 9 miles of shuffling i endured last monday after blowing up. I'm not giving up on the marathon, just 12 months away from it. 60 miles a week and 6 runs a week are needed to do one properly and i just couldnt put that time aside for the last 12 months. DCM 2011 could be the sub 3'10 attempt, we shall see. I'm gonna get a garmin at long last and i shall start another log on here in 2/3 weeks time after i've fully recovered.

Thanks everyone for the support over the last 8 weeks.

Advertisement