Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pokemon Championship details

• 14-04-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭

2010 pokemon Championship is here....http://ie.ds.ign.com/articles/108/1083718p1.html

The Euro schedule is:

May 29, Birmingham, United Kingdom—National Exhibition Center
    June 5, Cologne, Germany—Pullman Hotel
    June 12, Lyon, France—Cite Centre de Congres
    June 19, Madrid, Spain—IFEMA Feria de Madrid

And every entrant gets a Shiny Eevee....that has Shiny Eevee-loutions (pink Vaporeon is the example given).

I might go to one of the Euro events....if I have a team by then (queue Rocky style training montage of me sweating over a DS in a meat freezer)

EDIT: rules are found here http://www.pokemonvgc.com/uk/regulations.php

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 djc123abc

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    2010 pokemon Championship is here....http://ie.ds.ign.com/articles/108/1083718p1.html

The Euro schedule is:

May 29, Birmingham, United Kingdom—National Exhibition Center
    June 5, Cologne, Germany—Pullman Hotel
    June 12, Lyon, France—Cite Centre de Congres
    June 19, Madrid, Spain—IFEMA Feria de Madrid

And every entrant gets a Shiny Eevee....that has Shiny Eevee-loutions (pink Vaporeon is the example given).

I might go to one of the Euro events....if I have a team by then (queue Rocky style training montage of me sweating over a DS in a meat freezer)

EDIT: rules are found here http://www.pokemonvgc.com/uk/regulations.php

I'd love to venture to one of them but alas money money money.

Hardly any sign of one's in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Unfortunate dates. Right in the middle of exams and volunteering stuff I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

If I didn't go to Germany or the UK for Rammstein, I'm not going for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If I have money, I'll go to this.
    Highly unlikely, how ever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

djc123abc wrote: »
    I'd love to venture to one of them but alas money money money.

Hardly any sign of one's in Ireland?
    You're joking right? You don't go to past Pokémon events and complain in person at the event that you want more to come to Ireland, then you have no right to moan about no Irish stop on future tours.
    CianRyan wrote: »
    If I have money, I'll go to this.
    Highly unlikely, how ever...
    Ryanair has flights for the Birmingham date for €19.98.

The VCG is being held in the NEC which is a free train ride to from the Airport, and a little walk. I was at the NEC before, the walk shouldn't be anymore than 10-15 minutes from the free train. It costs nothing to enter the VCG.

If you pack a lunch before hand, well that's even more saving. Allow about £20 for tea/coffee/bottle of drink/general spending. That's way cheaper than a night out on the tiles :P

So to sum up, don't anyone else complain about not it being to expensive to go. If I'm not on the staff that day, I'll happily go with anyone else who wants to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

May 29th is smack in the middle of my holiday. Further proof that Nintendo are trying to destroy the family unit and don't want the working, tax paying man to enter Pokétournaments that his taxes have paid for.

I could fly back from Philly for the day but that would cost me about 2 grand, plus about €20 for snacks and drinks, it's far too expensive :D

It does sound like a great opportunity for a booze cruise though. If your Pokies are legit but you're completely stantlered on duty free will they still let you enter?

Banjo wrote: »
    May 29th is smack in the middle of my holiday. Further proof that Nintendo are trying to destroy the family unit and don't want the working, tax paying man to enter Pokétournaments that his taxes have paid for.

I could fly back from Philly for the day but that would cost me about 2 grand, plus about €20 for snacks and drinks, it's far too expensive :D

It does sound like a great opportunity for a booze cruise though. If your Pokies are legit but you're completely stantlered on duty free will they still let you enter?
    Then how does Germany on the 5th June, France the 12th June, or Spain the 19th June work with you? There will be English speaking staff at all the events and the vast majority of the the players speak English.

Besides if you went to Philly you couldn't complete unless you went out and bought an American game card. European player - EU game, US player - US game. Have the wrong game at the wrong tourny you don't get in the front door. No shiny Eevee for you...

I guess being boozed would depend if you got agressive with staff/other players. If you decide to use OUTRAGE on any living target, I assume 10 beefy Snorlax will come crashing through the wall to flatten you.

I'm going to Philly to visit my sister and more importantly to bring my daughter to visit her auntie - why, is there a PokéEvent on there too? Score!

Anyway, I'm just making excuses, I'm not going to spend a weekend that could be spent with my family at a pokemon tournament until *after* my wife realises her mistake and divorces me :) Trust me, raising a kid is more fun than raising a pokemon - they can learn more than 4 moves, they're born knowing Charm, Sweet Kiss, Sludge Bomb and Water Cannon; mine was following me around a full year before HG/SS was released etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

*looks at calendar*

****, I'm free :/

I mean, yay I'm free!

I'm going to Philly to visit my sister and more importantly to bring my daughter to visit her auntie - why, is there a PokéEvent on there too? Score!

Anyway, I'm just making excuses, I'm not going to spend a weekend that could be spent with my family at a pokemon tournament until *after* my wife realises her mistake and divorces me :) Trust me, raising a kid is more fun than raising a pokemon - they can learn more than 4 moves, they're born knowing Charm, Sweet Kiss, Sludge Bomb and Water Cannon; mine was following me around a full year before HG/SS was released etc etc.
    You do realise that Philly's stop on the tour last year was the busiest one with over 1,000 people attending for only 120 player slots?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

If you decide to use OUTRAGE on any living target, I assume 10 beefy Snorlax will come crashing through the wall to flatten you.

Snorelax used mega punch

Its super effective

Banjo used imitate

It doesnt affect snorelax

Snorelax used Mega Kick

Its a critical Hit

Banjo faints

Banjo lost his dignity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If your Pokies are legit but you're completely stantlered on duty free will they still let you enter?

This is phrase of the day :D Love it! :D

I'm touched that you think I have dignity to lose
    You do realise that Philly's stop on the tour last year was the busiest one with over 1,000 people attending for only 120 player slots?
    I had no idea. To think, till now the only claims to fame I was aware of were the liberty bell, the massive crime rate, Rocky and the amish lazerdome. I'll be sure to wear my Pokewalkers prominently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Hrm, the whole "First come, first served" could be a pain if flying to Birmingham, ya think there would be a queue formed to register early-ish or could grab a reasonably timed flight??

Hrm, the whole "First come, first served" could be a pain if flying to Birmingham, ya think there would be a queue formed to register early-ish or could grab a reasonably timed flight??
    There was a queue last year, but that's because there was only 120 odd slots (128 I think, 130 people came to London and less than that to Paris). This year there's 256 slots for the Senior Division (less for the Juniors lol). If the flight is cheaper at 6.30am, you might as well get that one and laugh at the Junior matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

could grab a reasonably timed flight??

"reasonably timed"
    Yea, right.

Are those prices for return flights?!
    You're seriously getting me thinking here.

I'm going on a sailing trip this weekend for the week, If I keep some of my money and starve one of the day, then do something crazy and not drink the weekend after... I could keep my money and head over.
    I think I might have to do that! :|

To be fair, where I'm going there's no shops other than a bar... I don't know if anyone else here is into sailing, but having a hang over and trying to sail is REALLY not fun.
    Right, I'll be sober for the trip... Extra money... Yes!

DON'T HOLD ME TO ANYTHING UNTIL I BUY MY PLANE TICKET!!!!!!

TheChrisD wrote: »
    "reasonably timed"
    Yea, right.

Also, this.
    Ridicules hours in the airport, bent over DS's could be deadly fun.

I also have to buy HG/SS... Uggh.
    Why can't I just use Platinum.:(
    I'm just going to transfer all of my Pokémon over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Are you allowed in if you're not competing? I'm considering going but I wouldn't really be up to scratch. I'd just like to go for the atmosphere and whatnot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Working in the states til May, so I've got the US version of SS (I've actually never bought the European version of any Pokemon game, bought Red in the states in like 98 just as it came out and by coincidence I've always been there when they've been released). No shiny eevee for me then, which was my only interest in going...I'll live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Maybe I'll just enter for the craic and do some serious EV-ing from now until then :P

ghostchant wrote: »
    Working in the states til May, so I've got the US version of SS... No shiny eevee for me then...

Why not check out some of the US events then to get special Pokémon?

yeah the thought had crossed my mind, did get the Draco Meteor Jirachi from gamestop, along with a shiny absol and shiny mudkip mystery gift promotion at an anime convention the other week, but there's always room for more :)

CianRyan wrote: »
    Are those prices for return flights?!
    You're seriously getting me thinking here.
    Those are Ryanair flights, so the sooner you book them the cheaper they will be. Closer to the flight date the prices will sky rocket
    Are you allowed in if you're not competing? I'm considering going but I wouldn't really be up to scratch. I'd just like to go for the atmosphere and whatnot :)
    Everyone will be allowed in, but you will have to fill up a team sheet. You can always drop after the first round, get your Shiny Eevee and just hang out for the day.
    Working in the states til May, so I've got the US version of SS (I've actually never bought the European version of any Pokemon game, bought Red in the states in like 98 just as it came out and by coincidence I've always been there when they've been released). No shiny eevee for me then, which was my only interest in going...I'll live.
    *cough*rent.HGSS.for.the.week.from.Xtra.Vision.and.trade.over.your.team*cough*
    yeah the thought had crossed my mind, did get the Draco Meteor Jirachi from gamestop, along with a shiny absol and shiny mudkip mystery gift promotion at an anime convention the other week, but there's always room for more :)
    Fan Events=hack

Fan Events=hack

I'm fully aware of this and don't lose sleep over it, luckily the awesome starfox/lylat-wars t-shirt I got from the stand distributing it was legit :)

Also the Absol was named O'Donnell, a starfox reference (mystery gift event was based on and named after the 'Can't let you do that starfox' meme), so I was pretty happy

EDIT: They also distributed the wonderfully-named 'Murderkarp' if you bought a Magikarp tshirt. Wasn't going to buy the shirt just for that though:

Magikarp (Shiny), level 100:
    Hyper Beam
    Zap Cannon
    Octazooka
    Spacial Rend

• Registered Users Posts: 45 djc123abc

You're joking right? You don't go to past Pokémon events and complain in person at the event that you want more to come to Ireland, then you have no right to moan about no Irish stop on future tours.

I ain't moaning or complaining about the lack of an Irish event, I just think it would be a beautiful thing :^)

Back in the day (Blue/Red - Silver/Gold time) they used to have events in both Dublin and Belfast...

Back in the day (Blue/Red - Silver/Gold time) they used to have events in both Dublin and Belfast...
    "Back in the day" was the tip of the hype, the time with anything with Pokémon on it would instantly sell out. Unfortunatly these are not those times and the cost of ferring over a tour (and staff and step up gear) to Dublin is simply too expensive for Nintendo to keep doing. The only way to get them to come is to go to other events and give feedback. There was an Arceus event about 4 weeks ago in Belfast (for 2 days), who from here went to that?

I can't afford to travel to Belfast just to get another pokémon TBH.

At the time of the old events, I lived in Belfast, but couldn't go as I was in work.

• Advertisement

Maybe we're looking at this all wrong. Instead of travelling around europe moaning to Nintendo reps, maybe we need to organise a sort of Nintendo Territorial Army where we train every weekend to print giant cardboard Arceuses and hand out notch eared Pichu fliers in the hope that one day we'll be called up by Nintendo to stage an event for them? Then all it costs them is the a couple of quid to stick a distribution cart in the post.

Advertisement