Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pokemon Championship details

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

So, I'm thinking of going to this too and trying to work out the details. What return flight did you guys book? There's an 8.30pm flight back to Dublin, would the competition be over by then or would I end up having to leave too early if I booked it?

I'll have to start thinking about how to alter my team for double-battling too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Here's a screenshot of the flights myself and Cian booked. I'm sure buzz is on the same one too :)

flights.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Wow, €30.79 is quite cheap (assuming they aren't tacking anything else on at the end...)

EDIT: Another tenner admin fee... So €40.79... :(

I really do want to go, but I'd never be able to get to the airport for half four (or whatever time you need to be there at)... Unless someone wants to drive by Dunboyne ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

elekid wrote: »
    So, I'm thinking of going to this too and trying to work out the details. What return flight did you guys book? There's an 8.30pm flight back to Dublin, would the competition be over by then or would I end up having to leave too early if I booked it?

I'll have to start thinking about how to alter my team for double-battling too..
    The tourny shouldn't take more than 3-4 hours max. It's always better to book the flight back home for later, gives you time to chat, trade and swap emails with the new buddies you'll meet.

I've booked the same flights as Atavan and Cian. The tourn shouldn't be more than 3-4 hours, the extra time is to chill out, chat, trade and swap emails with the new Pokebuddies we are going to meet :)

• Advertisement

Booked on the same flights, very excited now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Yeay! :D
    So that's 4 from here now.
    My mate Shane said he's going... He just hasn't booked his flight yet, and my GF is tagging along as my cheerleader. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

I'm also going. I've started working on putting a team together for it.

Yeay, loads going now! :)

It just hit me last night though... If that absolute colossal (1000miles long, 700 miles wide) ash cloud doesn't fcuk off pretty soon, we're not going the VGC's! :(frown.gif

Fingers crossed though!
    I also really hope it's gone by the time I'm to go to France.

CianRyan wrote: »
    If that absolute colossal (1000miles long, 700 miles wide) ash cloud doesn't fcuk off pretty soon, we're not going the VGC's! :(frown.gif

That'd be just like ash to sabotage our trip.

He clearly has no confidence in his Pikachu

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

So many people going... :(

CianRyan wrote: »
    Yeay, loads going now! :)

It just hit me last night though... If that absolute colossal (1000miles long, 700 miles wide) ash cloud doesn't fcuk off pretty soon, we're not going the VGC's! :(frown.gif

Fingers crossed though!
    I also really hope it's gone by the time I'm to go to France.
    Make sure someone on the group brings a Golduck on the day, with Cloud Nine the skies will be clear and we can go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

might be an idea to bring some stuff in case ye cant get back. Simple stuff like phone chargers etc so ye can call home and not worry about your battery

Yay for everyone going :D

Don't forget to do your online check-in guys! I think you can do it from 15 days before the flight.

Good idea wobbles, will do that.

I was actually in Birmingham this morning. Had a good look around the NEC but nothing about the Championship.

In the unlikely event of flgihts been cancalled on the evening of the 29th, it is three and a half hours by train to Holyhead where you could get on the ferry as a foot passenger. It'd be kind of expensive but not as bad if you had to stay in England until you got a flight home.

And as wobbles said, no harm in bringing a change of socks, just in case!

Oh, I never thought of that.
    I'll have too see about maybe getting emergency money from my parents in case that's the deal.

Senior Finals from the US
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApqvIT-r7V4

Do we have anyone for the Juniors on this forum?

Senior Finals from the US
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApqvIT-r7V4

Do we have anyone for the Juniors on this forum?

I still have 2 empty slots on my team so I'll probably be picking something from the US comps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Korosu

wish i could come T,T

anyways which lineup are you gonna use for the tourney?

Korosu wrote: »
    wish i could come T,T

anyways which lineup are you gonna use for the tourney?
    Discussing indiviual teams here isn't a very fair thing to do IMO, in VCG you get paired with a random player who could be anyone from here. It's bad enough playing against someone you know, but worse to be able to rip apart a friend's team and ruin their chance at VCG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Korosu

oh yeah didn't think about that lol apologies, here i am thinking you guys are going in there as a team lol

VGC don't care much for player teams. You get put in a line and then when your time comes for the first battle you battle with the person next to you in the queue.

Here's an idea when we do get to the VCG! Mix into the crowd! Get paired up with random unknowns and KO them :)

I've spent far too much time researching the rules, testing in PBR battles and watching Youtube and VS Recorder matches and I've had a few ideas for teams but the main things to watch out for seem to be:

Spr_4d_382.png @ Choice Scarf/Specs
    • Thunder
    • Water Spout (!)
    • Ice Beam/Blizzard
    • Surf

obamasnow.jpg @ who cares what item it's holding, if it's left to sweep it will destroy entire teams
    • Blizzard Spam
    • Protect/ Substitute
    • Ice Shard
    • Grass Knot/ Wood Hammer

Spr_4h_487.png/Spr_4p_487O.png
    • Shadow Sneak
    • Dragon Pulse/ Dragon Claw
    • Shadow Farce (remember this breaks Protect/Detect)
    • Substitute/ Rest/ Calm Mind

smeargle.png @ HOLY FOCK!!
    Feargle can do anything, here's two sets that you may see:
    @ Focus Sash
    • ????
    • Dark Void (!)
    • Endeavour
    • Quick Attack

@ Focus Sash
    • Dark Void
    • Subsitute
    • Swords Dance / Nasty Plot/ Agility
    • Baton Pass

150.png
    • Self Destruct (!)
    • Ice Beam/ Blizzard spam
    • Thunder Bolt/ Thunder
    • Shadow Ball/ Focus Blast/ Aura Sphere

248.png
    • Crunch
    • Stone Edge
    • Ice / Fire/ Thunderpunch
    • Earthquake/ Low Kick

Pokémon of side notes:
    Spr_4d_381.png @ Choice Scarf/Specs/ Life Orb + Draco Meteor/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Surf
    -Why Latios? He WILL destroy you if you are unprepared for him

Spr_4d_384.png @ Choice Band + Extreme Speed, Protect (who cares about the rest of the set?)
    -Why Ray-Q? Two Words, Air Lock (weather effects don't count while he's in play). So that's no damage OR accuracy boosts from sun shine, rain etc, no damage from Sandstorm and hail

483.png Nice and bulky, fits into most teams, hard enough to take out without access to Low Kick/Earthquake

484.png Like his brother Dialga, Palkia fits into a lot of teams, but unlike his brother falls easily to a well timed [insert Dragon move here].

292.png @ Focus Sash -> Can your team pass my test?

272.png -> I like Kyorgre and together we can sweep you all!

Scary stuff, the video kind of makes me feel like I'm at a disadvantage by not having two legendaries on my team. And does that mean if we stand beside each other to talk in the queue we'll all end up battling each other?

I have a question about EVs that I can't seem to find the answer to in any guides so I was wondering if anyone here knows. My EV trained VGC team are currently level 50, but I know that EVs are spread out so they continue to take effect right up to level 100. Do I need to train them to level 100 to take full advantage of their EVs or is it ok to leave them at level 50 since they'll be rounded down to that for the competition anyway?

Scary stuff, the video kind of makes me feel like I'm at a disadvantage by not having two legendaries on my team.
    I don't like using Ubers for that's a n00bish way of playing, but with them running rampant on every second team, reconsidering maybe the only surviving option.
    And does that mean if we stand beside each other to talk in the queue we'll all end up battling each other?
    98% possibility. That was the "order of battles" for the first matches last year, I can't see them changing it this year.
    I have a question about EVs that I can't seem to find the answer to in any guides so I was wondering if anyone here knows. My EV trained VGC team are currently level 50, but I know that EVs are spread out so they continue to take effect right up to level 100. Do I need to train them to level 100 to take full advantage of their EVs or is it ok to leave them at level 50 since they'll be rounded down to that for the competition anyway?
    I usually EV to level 50 (since it's easier to reach without ten million Rare Candies) or just train in the EVs and leave as is (since most of my battles are played at Lv50 All in PBR). It never seems to make a difference in PBR battles, so I can't see it making a difference in Flat Battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭El Nick

Hey all - n00b to the forum here, long-time pokefan.

I'll be taking my son over to the VGC, though I think he classes more as an amateur than anything else. Looking online at strategies and such I don't think he's likely to last so long in competition even if he gets a place in the tournament. He'll be junior division. That said, I'll be picking up Eevee for my own HG thankyouverymuch, and my girlfriend will be grabbing one for her SS. I think we're too amateur to enter the competition properly as well.

We're taking the Aer Lingus flights rather than Ryanair (I've no passport right now and Aer Lingus isn't fussed about that so long as you have Photo ID between Ireland and the UK.)

El Nick wrote: »
    Hey all - n00b to the forum here, long-time pokefan.

I'll be taking my son over to the VGC, though I think he classes more as an amateur than anything else. Looking online at strategies and such I don't think he's likely to last so long in competition even if he gets a place in the tournament. He'll be junior division. That said, I'll be picking up Eevee for my own HG thankyouverymuch, and my girlfriend will be grabbing one for her SS. I think we're too amateur to enter the competition properly as well.

We're taking the Aer Lingus flights rather than Ryanair (I've no passport right now and Aer Lingus isn't fussed about that so long as you have Photo ID between Ireland and the UK.)

Sure you might as well enter and have a bit of fun. It's free entry and you'll be there anyway so what's the harm?

Sure you might as well enter and have a bit of fun. It's free entry and you'll be there anyway so what's the harm?

I figured that since there's likely to be less tournament spaces than there are attendees I'd be "taking up" a space someone more serious than I could take?

I totally plan on trading my ass off, though :D

Here's a thought - I've looked at photos online of one of last year's championships (the Washington one?) and I didn't see the huge amount of trade stands I'd expected that there would be. Is the event relatively merch-free? Any advice appreciated...

I figured that since there's likely to be less tournament spaces than there are attendees I'd be "taking up" a space someone more serious than I could take?

I totally plan on trading my ass off, though :D

Here's a thought - I've looked at photos online of one of last year's championships (the Washington one?) and I didn't see the huge amount of trade stands I'd expected that there would be. Is the event relatively merch-free? Any advice appreciated...
    London and Paris VCG had no trading stands last year and barely any seats for "on-lookers". Also unlike other events, the Event Pokémon is downloaded directly onto your game card and not distributed via Wireless Communications, so if you don't compete, you don't get the Shiny.

London and Paris VCG had no trading stands last year and barely any seats for "on-lookers". Also unlike other events, the Event Pokémon is downloaded directly onto your game card and not distributed via Wireless Communications, so if you don't compete, you don't get the Shiny.

Many thanks, Buzz. I was going off the text on http://www.pokemonvgc.com/uk/shiny-eevee.php which seems to suggest that it's a wireless thing.

I may get sucked into the tournament after all - time to start researching strategies!

• Advertisement

Many thanks, Buzz. I was going off the text on http://www.pokemonvgc.com/uk/shiny-eevee.php which seems to suggest that it's a wireless thing.

I may get sucked into the tournament after all - time to start researching strategies!
    That's what it was last year any way. They had a stand that said "Download Milotic" (last year's prize), but Milotic was only downloaded into the game card.

Try for fun anyway, do bear in mind that if your son is in the Juniors then you'll have to be there at the crack of dawn (or so).

Advertisement