Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persian White poppy

Options
  • 14-04-2010 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever grown this one? Im a lover of poppies but i would be a little hesitant with strange varieties.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Anyone ever grown this one? Im a lover of poppies but i would be a little hesitant with strange varieties.

I grow "perry's White" which is a very similar variety - Persian White is very hardy & grows in pretty much any soil, just needs full or partial sun.

Persian white has the largest seed head of the lot - not sure how easy it is to get hold of tbh as it used to be strictly regulated as its the poppy of choice for opium growers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lol, I looked these up because they sounded interesting, only to discover that yes, I have grown them in the past, and the only thing strange about them might be the results of trying to ingest bits of them!

They are no more difficult to grow than any other kind of poppy, which will all grow like weeds. Why are you hesitant, are you thinking in terms of a field-full? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never grown them but they look really lovely.
    I throw a packet of Californian poppies into the front garden every year and they look great among the other plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I've never grown them but they look really lovely.
    I throw a packet of Californian poppies into the front garden every year and they look great among the other plants.

Oh they are very nice indeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Oh they are very nice indeed.

They only cost €1.25 a packet in B&Q. I sprinkle them all over the beds, water them in and leave them to it and they never fail :)
    Some even survived the winter and are back this year. They have a lovely grey-green foliage too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement