Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunshaughlin Village: A Photographic Tour

Options
  • 14-04-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

A little pet project I had was to photograph all the ground level shop fronts in Dunshaughlin village. Finally got around to it last Sunday. One reason was just to have a record for posterity and the other was as part of a casual survey about the different types of businesses in the village.

(I had a more detailed post all typed up last night about this subject and when I went to post it it all disappeared, so I will just summerise my "findings" this time!)

There are 90 shop fronts, 70 active, and 20 empty.

There are 20 "one-off" shops (e.g., one newsagent, one furniture shop, one video store, one supermarket, etc.).

There are 8 duplicated shops (e.g., 2 banks, 2 betting shops etc.).

There are 3 of each solicitors, novelty shops, and estate agents.

Four pubs.

Six hair-shops/salons.

Eight clothes shops/boutiques.

Ten foodie places (cafes/takeaways/restaurants).

So too many of certain types of shops and not enough competition for others, while there are none at all of others, e.g., no bicycle shop, no bakery, no butchers, no clothes/shoe shops for men or children, no music store.

Aside from all that, the photos generally show the village in a very good light. I will try to up-load some of the 120 images I took in a separate post...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭orlaithd

Interesting past time Cucina :)
    I'm sure in years to come lots of people would be interested in this kind of a photographic record- similar to some of the old photos the Peters had enlarged and puton the Sibin walls are they had it renovated a few years back.

Its also interesting the shops you found lacking in the village. Some long standing residents will remember the shoe shop (not very good) that used to be in the village- as well as some other clothes shops- ones for men etc. (on a pedantic note there is a children's clothes shop :)) as well as butchers etc and a choice of video shops, newsagents etc.

Its nice you took the time to record the village like this :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Good work and interesting reading.
    CUCINA wrote: »
    So too many of certain types of shops and not enough competition for others, while there are none at all of others, e.g., no bicycle shop, no bakery, no butchers, no clothes/shoe shops for men or children, no music store.

I'm actually stunned by that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Five pubs! Sibin, Lawlesses, Carberry's, Peters and the Arch!

There used to be bakeries and butchers, there's definitely an opening there . Supervalu butcher section is ok but not great.

Surprised at the amount of hairdressers/salons! I guess us women are vain, recession or no recession :D

TEN food places (plus Sibin and Peters doing food)....yet nowhere decent to go for a nice meal :confused: (Well Venice is good, but nothing special).

Looking forward to seeing the photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Five pubs! Sibin, Lawlesses, Carberry's, Peters and the Arch!

There used to be bakeries and butchers, there's definitely an opening there . Supervalu butcher section is ok but not great.

Surprised at the amount of hairdressers/salons! I guess us women are vain, recession or no recession :D

TEN food places (plus Sibin and Peters doing food)....yet nowhere decent to go for a nice meal :confused: (Well Venice is good, but nothing special).

Looking forward to seeing the photos!

Hoping to have the photos uploaded in the next few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

I hope as many people in the village as possible turn out for the public meeting next Monday 26th April in the Community Centre at 9pm to get the NRA to put proper paths to and from the village (they removed all the hard shoulders and now kids and all pedestrians have to walk on the main road to get to the village)

Refreshing to see some activism in Dunshaughlin for a change. We badly need to elect a local politician and stop electing local councillors from other areas in Meath who don't care about stuff here.

• Advertisement

For anyone who might be interested, some technical problems uploading the photos (files too big) but should be resolved at some stage next week...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

For anyone who might be interested, some technical problems uploading the photos (files too big) but should be resolved at some stage next week...

Make sure you resize each one to 72dpi for uploading. Make the longest side no more than 700 or 800 px and make sure to save them as jpegs.

If you're still having trouble, why not open a Pix.ie account, it's free and makes uploading very easy. If you have a lot of shots, it might be easier to create an album there and just post a link.

Thanks very much for the tips, Pullandbang. As I mentioned before, I have posted numerous photos before on the M3 thread in the "infrastructure" forum, but with a different camera. And I did open a pix.ie account but still no joy.
    The IT guy that looks after our computers in work says he will sort it out for me this week...he mentioned something about "Gimp" software etc, but it's all a bit beyond my knowledge. Anyway, thanks again, looking forward to overcoming this little hurdle sooner rather than later...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

And I did open a pix.ie account but still no joy.

Don't know why 'cos it's dead simple from Pix.ie. Once you've successfully uploaded your photo, you click "SIZES" and copy and paste the code here into your post.
    The IT guy that looks after our computers in work says he will sort it out for me this week...he mentioned something about "Gimp" software etc, but it's all a bit beyond my knowledge.

GIMP is basically the freeware version of Photoshop. It's for processing digital images. There are much simpler ones available as GIMP can be chunky and most people (including me) will only ever use 5% of it's capabilities.

TESTING

• Advertisement

Another test...so far, so good!

Nearly ready to start the "tour"...because of the north/south axis of the main street, I took photos of the west side of the street in the morning, so as to have sunlight on the shop-fronts etc. I then returned later in the day to take pictures of the east side, for the same reason.

Also, I started from the southern end of the village, to the top of the town, then south as I took photos of the east side...

I will post the selection of photos (hopefully!) at differnt times, although I wont be including all of the two hundred that I took, obviously.

White and bright...the church collector here seems caught in the twilight zone between the dispersal of the previous congregation and the arrival of the next.

Road to nowhere...beside the church, large boarded up site, victim of the post-celtic tiger?

Impressive Pastoral pad...no excuse for being late for Mass

HSE offices...that horse and cart hasn't moved for (donkey's) years!

Original primary school, first photographed over a hundred years ago.

I wonder what these pillars were originally part of? Maybe a farm-house entrance?

Now!

A few colourful shop-fronts in actual sequence...one of the busiest of these at week-end mornings is Fidelmas, apparently the in-place to be for breakfast, popular with Mass-go-ers, bikers, and young people generally...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭orlaithd

Now!
    Hey- pretty sure they were built when they did the entrance to Supple back in the late 80's/early 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

I wonder what these pillars were originally part of? Maybe a farm-house entrance?

Your captions are out of sync with the images CUCINA :)

It's a nice project. Many years ago, when in primary school, our class had a project to draw a map of every street in Navan and record every shop. I covered Watergate St. I wish I still had that. So much has changed there since then.

A few more images...hopefully the out-of-sync issue applies to just one photo.

The Sibin and the Fontana buildings were completely re-vamped in the last couple of years. I think there was a house demolished to make way for the car-park and the appartments between these buildings. Overall, a big improvement, I think.

Previously, a shop selling metal works. Notice the blacksmith above the shop-sign is just a shadow of his former self...

Finally for now, until sometime next week, a few more shots...Lidl's had a sign up a few years ago in Dunshaughlin saying "coming soon" but it never happened, more's the pity, the village badly needs a competitor to Supervalue.
    Meanwhile, the busy Tara news occupies a very central position on the Main St, whereas shops at either end of the Main street tend to struggle to attract business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

one of the busiest of these at week-end mornings is Fidelmas, apparently the in-place to be for breakfast, popular with Mass-go-ers, bikers, and young people generally...

Don't forget your gardai, they're mad into the all day breakfasts.

Hoping now to upload some more images...

Continuing north along the westside of Main St...will try to upload a few more in next post

Seems to be taking only one photo per post at the moment...

Now coming to the top of the village...

• Advertisement

Last unit on the west side....

Advertisement